“Great location”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Saddle Brook
Toronto, Canada
“Great location”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed for 2 days on August 2012. I got last minute deal from their website. This hotel is right on high-way. My check-in experience was nice, staffs are very friendly. The room was okay for 4 persons and it was very clean. I got the room opp to swimming pool, it was bit noise till 10pm. They have silent hours between 10pm-8am. Overall I would stay again without any hesitation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Midland Park, New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

This was a pretty good hotel. It was up to my standards...very clean, affordable, and it had a great staff. I will hopefully be returning here again soon. And I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and family too.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The lobby looks nice, the staff is very good, and the place is well maintained, but there's only so much you can do with a building that isn't built to today's standards for an upscale hotel.

This place was constructed in an era (probably the 1970s judging from the architecture) when rooms were tiny but didn't hold much more than a bed and maybe a dresser. Travelers today expect to not be tripping over each other when occupying a hotel room. My room was about as big as the average room at a Motel 6, or maybe a deluxe monk's cell -- probably OK for one guest but claustrophobic for two. It had a king bed. Next to the king bed was an easy chair and ottoman. I like creature comforts, but if I need to get out of bed in the middle of the night when it's dark, I want enough space between the bed and the easy chair so I don't bump my shin against something, even if it is upholstered, and lose my balance.

The bathroom was an oversized phone booth with no room to keep the duffel bag that my wife and I use to carry our toiletries and things that we want to keep isolated from our luggage. There's a glass shelf below the pedestal sink, but if you put your things there, you don't have a place for the towels. I want some counter space near the sink so I can keep the toothpaste and personal bath items close at hand. The toilet was the porcelain version of the stainless steel jobbies with exposed plumbing found in prison cells.

While the room had been updated to add a desk and internet connectivity (including very pricey wi-fi access at $12.95 a day), it lacked two items I consider essential in a modern hotel guest room: a microwave and mini-refrigerator. I don't want a mini-bar, just a place to keep a couple of bottled waters and the ability to zap a bag of microwave popcorn.

There is a thermostat to control the HVAC system in the guest rooms, but the amount of control you have over the room's climate is limited since the entire hotel is connected to a centralized system. We couldn't get the temperature as cool as we wanted despite fiddling with the controls. The room stayed relatively comfortable during the day (temperatures peaked at 85-95 degrees on the days of our stay) but was uncomfortable at night.

Some of the other reviewers here have mentioned that the hotel is noisy. I didn't find it objectional for the most part. The noise does not come from the nearby highways early in the morning. There were a few incidences of noise from the hallways, including housekeeping people using two-way radios to communicate with their supervisors. I did notice some plumbing noise when a guest in an adjacent room flushed or took a shower.

Service by the hotel staff is mostly above average. I had a problem with my key card that was quickly resolved. The greeting I got from everyone from the bellhop to the maintenance guy was a bit cloying and annoying every time I walked in the front door, though. One glaring oversight was that the housekeeping staff did not vacuum my room at any time during my three-night stay.

The hotel is isolated. It is surrounded by I-80 and the Garden State Parkway, an aging industrial park, and office buildings. The only "restaurants" within walking distance are Dunkin' Donuts and a bagel place on nearby Midland Ave. that also serves lunch. You will need a car to get around unless you plan to take all your meals in the pricey hotel restaurant ($13+tip for soup and salad at lunchtime). There is a weekday rush-hour only express bus to New York City that stops adjacent to the hotel, but the hotel does not provide shuttle service to the nearest NJ Transit train station (Plauderville) or the Garden State Plaza mall. If you have a car it's easy to get to the mall where there are many decent restaurants including Joe's American Bar & Grill and Legal Seafoods, and a food court with many choices for those on a limited budget.

My wife and I stayed at the Saddle Brook Marriott because she was attending a three-day educational workshop. While she was at the workshop, I went to New York City. The hotel says it is easy to get into the city, but that is only true between midnight and 5 a.m. Driving to Manhattan entails going through one of the Hudson River crossings which are jammed to capacity during the day and well into the evenings. Waits of 60 minutes and more are not uncommon on weekdays, and it's a $12 toll if you don't have an E-ZPass. Parking in Manhattan will also cost at least $35-40 for the day. The best way to get into the city is to take the NJ Transit train from the Plauderville station (you will need a car or take a taxi for this). The commuter parking lots usually do not fill up during the day and parking is free. Trains run about every half hour during the rush hours and about every 75-90 minutes at other times on weekdays. Take the train to Penn Station for midtown Manhattan destinations (you will have to change trains at Secaucus Jct., but it's an easy transfer). If you are headed to lower Manhattan, take the train all the way to the last stop in Hoboken and then transfer to the PATH train to the World Trade Center station. Fares are reasonable and you will get into Manhattan in about 45-55 minutes. The trains run late enough from Penn Station that you can even go to an evening Broadway show and still catch the last train back. If you are going to an event at the Meadowlands sports complex, you can also use this strategy to avoid traffic jams and other hassles. There are trains and busses from Secaucus directly to the stadium on event days.

When you book, you might notice that the Marriott website has some very attractive room rates for this property. I spotted a rate of $119/night when I checked. This is a pay-upfront non-refundable rate and your credit card will be charged immediately if you book at this rate. If there is any possibility that your plans might change, you might want to book at the higher refundable rate. I made a reservation at a $199/night rate at first, but Marriott reservations was very helpful and agreed to change my reservation to the non-refundable rate when I called their toll-free number after my plans were finalized.

Even if I had a reason to come back to Saddle Brook, I would not return to this hotel. The rooms are simply not up to today's standards despite all the window dressing this hotel has added. If I had paid the nightly rate of $199 that I was originally quoted, it would have been a royal rip-off. This place is simply not up to what an upscale hotel should be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thirdshf
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I visited my family in NJ. The property is clean, well kept (it's actually under renovation) and the staff was very friendly. I got a great rate right from the hotel's website. Overall I would say it's a great deal for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2012

All the staff were very nice. We wanted to extend another night and the front desk even cancelled our reservation at another hotel for us while we were at dinner. Then they placed the cancellation confirmation on a note under our door by the time we got back from dinner. Great level of service.
Young lady bartender was very nice as was hostess to dining area.
Fitness room needs enlarging. Clean equipment but cramped.
Self parking.
Our room was small but clean and everything worked well. The ventilation fan in the bathroom was broken.
Common areas were well maintained. Complementary ice water was welcome touch during the heatwave we experienced.
Strategically located by highways, this is a great place for business travellers. Not much tourism by immediate area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this hotel because I was visiting friends in New York City and most reviews said it was close to NYC, although it was a 20 minute ride to Times Square, it took us 3 hours during the peak of traffic. (Note to get to NYC you have to go through the Lincoln Tunnel and it was $12.50) So I wouldn't reccomend this for someone looking to stay close to NYC. The Hotel price itself was very reasonable.

PROS: I requested the highest floor possible, away from the elevators and I got what I requested. 12th floor, room 1210. Very nice, very clean, Small but very comfortable. The bed was amazing, I slept so good. There are no good views (it's all highways / parking lots) Very close to Garden State Plaza (5 Minutes) which is a very nice mall. Had every store under the sun. There is also a Dunkin Donuts across the street and within 5 minutes driving distance every 24 hour store / fast food establishment you can think of.

CONS: No fridge / Microwave in the room - there was ice down the hall with a soda machine but no snacks (I think that was on the first floor) The TV kept acting up the second night, we couldn't watch anything without it flickering on and off, back and forth. We ended up calling it a night and turning it off.

All in all I would stay here again if I needed to travel to Saddlebrook or the area but not for my trips to NYC.

Room Tip: Request the top floor, away from the elevators! We didn't hear a noise!