“If going to NYC, stay on the island”

Holiday Inn Saddle Brook
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Saddle Brook
Lancaster, Ohio
“If going to NYC, stay on the island”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Between fighting with the bus schedules and the actual fare to get into NYC, we might as well have stayed on the island. But that's another story. Saddlebrook is a nice city and we actually laughed because it was almost identical to our hometown in the midwest.
Two friends and I stayed here and it was easy to get to. The people at the counter were nice and even though check in is at 3, they let us check in at noon (perhaps because we walked into the lobby and it was very obvious we had been up and driving overnight for 12 hours) I had called and asked ahead if they had a coffee machine in the room, but was disappointed because it was a 1 cup brewer and the brand was some random hotel coffee brand... because of the way the machine was, I couldn't even get filters and use the coffee I had brought. They did have coffee in the lobby that they kept freshly brewed, but it was the same brand.
The pressure in the shower was good which had been a concern of mine because I have waist long hair. The sink in the bathroom was difficult to get used to and was also the only water in the room, so if you wanted a drink of water you had to drink it from the bathroom.
The closet didn't smell funny, but my friend put his shirts in the closet and they smelled interesting when he put them on. Our balcony door wouldn't open. The tv channels were all fuzzy and we ended up just trying to find a channel -any channel- with something we could see. The binder with information about the area was useless.... it had the dividers in it and nothing else! There was no continental breakfast... you had to order it through room service and it started out at $10/person! Might as well go out to eat for that! There was no ice machine on our floor. The walls were paper thin- one of my friends went for a walk and forgot to see what our room number was. He was down the hall and had to call me to figure it out and ended up hearing my phone ringing!
Overall, the room was clean and was good for sleeping, which was literally all we did there. There are 2 bus stops down the block, as well as a restaurant and a gas station. If I were visiting Saddlebrook, I would probably stay here again, just for 1 night. Next time I am in NYC I am going to stay on the island or at least closer because the money we saved by getting this hotel was spent on bus fare and the schedules and drivers were not worth dealing with. The staff was very friendly... we called from the city a couple times asking them what they thought the best way to get back to the hotel was and they were very friendly every time. It does have a restaurant on site that looked good but it had weird hours and closed early the day we arrived (1:30 pm on Saturday)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank chelwig89
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Saddle Brook, responded to this review, April 28, 2012
Dear chelwig89,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Middletown, New York
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Well the room was ok but the TV showing blurry pictures on some channels. I was gonna write a whole review on the room and bathroom till I got we got a phone call from the credit card company asking if we were in Indiana. Then we were asked if we authorized someone to make a $4000 purchase at Walmart. The credit card company asked the place we last used the card which was this Holiday Inn in Saddle Brook. Capital One representive said that someone who worked at the hotel may have sent a copy of the card to someone out in Indiana and they made a duplicate card out there with the magnetic swipe on the back or maybe their computer system was hacked. We won't stay here again. If we want to get burgers and wings at their restaurant we'll have to bring cash because the cook always does a great job.

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Saddle Brook, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Dessertmaker001,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.

Travelers are raving about these Saddle Brook hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel and it was an "ok" experience. For the most part my room was clean, minus some stains in the bath tub. The bed was comfortable and the location was convenient. The staff was also very pleasant and helpful throughout my entire stay. I did not like the tv because the picture was jumpy and on certain channels you couldn't even really see what you were watching. My room was on the first floor and if you stay there I would recommend a room on a higher level because I heard teenagers going to and from the pool making all kinds of noise late into the evening. It wasn't a horrible stay but it wasn't great either. Other guests that stayed the same night I did complained about 1. Their door didn't lock and 2. There was a roach running across the floor when they first entered the room. I did not encounter either one of these issues but I still feel that it is good information to know.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Saddle Brook, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
eweesabres,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Sandy Point
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I think this Hotel needs to have the truth be told and get a great comment, rather than people who are upset and have nothing better to do. I stayed at this Hotel this past weekend with Bowling Team and we had a great weekend, just as we had last year as well.. There was no issues and I was not going to write a comment about this Hotel until I see that you have let the same lady write two bad comments.

This Hotel did have the water off but they did tell us before check-in and they stated they would have it on before 3pm and it was on by 2:45pm. The rest of the stay was even more impresive because the Front Desk Staff and the Manager who I had a long conversation with that night is nothing but pleasent. I was there when the waitress took a bottle of wine, a fruit platter and a hand written note from the Manager to a room where a guest was upset. Then later on that night there was a lady yelling in the lobby and I had to say something to the desk because she was calling two young college grils a lady of night to put it politely. It was uncomfortable to be around with someone acting like that. I was later told by the desk that is was the same lady who has been causeing problems all day with the Hockey Team. I suggested they call the police but she said the girls aunt was going to Handle it. On Saturday we had a great breakfast and the only thing I could comment on was maybe we should have had some yougurt.

Then Saturday night we return to use the pool and had a great nights sleep. I believe that when you travel to a Hotel you should expect to get what you pay for. If you would like to have everything catered to you then don't stay at a Hotel that does not offer that. This Hotel is in a great location and had everything that we needed. They are clean and the staff is friendly and we will be staying there again when we return for our bowling tournam

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Management08031, Manager at Holiday Inn Saddle Brook, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn –Budd Lake for your stay. We appreciate your input as we value our guest’s comments and we continue to strive for excellent service based on our guest opinions and comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you stay with us again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 5, 2012

When I checked in there was no water. Once the water was turned on there was no hot water. To make matters worse they rent out the pool for swim lessons so u don't have full use of the pool. There was no manager on site the entire weekend. I was compensated for 1 night after I complained to the priority member club. I did file a formal complaint with the coroprate office & was told 1 night comp'd is the best they can do. ****Warning*** this hotel will NOT live up to there promise & corpate is ok with that.

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, IHGCARE at Holiday Inn Saddle Brook, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Sportsfan2,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered while at the hotel. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Brenda J.
sewell
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We were suppose to stay in this 'hotel' for two nights but had to check out after the first. After checking into our room with three children we discovered there was no running water. Only after I went down to the desk was I informed that plumbers were working on the pipes and the water was turned off. After playing hockey all day we returned to the hotel only to discover, after my youngest tried to take a shower, that there was NO HOT WATER!! I called the front desk immediately and they said they would 'look into the problem'. After about an hour we had hot water, but at this point it was 9:00 at night and I still had three children that needed to bath. To make matters worse when we woke up at 5:30 to get ready for our next game the hot water was off again.
It is to be noted that during this entire ordeal the hotel staff was RUDE and DISCOURTEOUS! They couldn't understand why we would be concerned that there was no hot water.
To make matters worse there were some questionable woman hanging around the lobby at night.
Hotel was also dirty with visible cobwebs everywhere in our room. There are just too many housekeeping and general maintenance issues to mention.
I definitely wouldn't stay here again and certainly would not recommend this hotel to ANY HOCKEY team needing a place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Holiday Inn Saddle Brook, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Dear BigpatSewell,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forwarding to hearing back from you.

Katie J
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I wasn't sure about the hotel when booking, or when I walked in the front door, but it wasn't bad. It looks like they are working their way through the hotel remodeling and hopefully upgrading. The room itself was clean, the bed was fine, and it looked like they had already upgraded it a bit. The television was a tube TV rather than some form of flatscreen that many hotels have switched to, but it worked just fine, no complaints. The front desk area looks like it has been redone. The basement level looks like it is in the process of being remodeled, so the first 2 floors smelled, but that didn't carry into the upper floors. The fitness room is very small and not very inspiring, it looked like the equipment needs upgrading, though we did not have time to try it out. The front desk staff was great, very friendly and helpful.
I would consider trying this hotel again in the future, once the work is done. It looks like they are on track to remodel like many of the other Holiday Inns.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Paramus
Courtyard Paramus
Courtyard Paramus
#3 of 5 in Paramus

Been to Holiday Inn Saddle Brook? Share your experiences!