Garden Plaza Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Saddle Brook Marriott(Saddle Brook)
  • Pool
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I were attending a Giants football game on a Sunday in December 2012 so we stayed here the Saturday night before. I wish we hadn't. The front desk staff were not at all friendly. The main reason we chose this hotel was because of the indoor pool but when we arrived, the pool was closed for maintenance. We checked in and went to our room. It was late and we were tired so we ordered room service from the hotel's restaurant. When I called down, the only waiter/bartender that was working that night told me the system was down so we had to pick up our food. When we went down to get our food, I paid with my debit card and later realized when I returned home that they charged me twice for the meal. The food was also terrible. The mixed vegetables were from a can and the steak was burnt to the point where all we could taste was charcoal. Very few of the soda machines worked. We called down to the front desk to ask for two toothbrushes. Half an hour later, we still had not received them so I called down again and they said "oh yeah I forgot" and sent someone up. Then, as the icing on the cake, the fire alarm went off at 8am Sunday morning and the one person working the front desk had no explanation or any sort of clue what was going on. There was no evacuation plan and we stood around in the lobby for half an hour before the firemen came, only to have them walk in and out within a minute and say it's all clear. The only positive thing about our stay was the comfortable bed. Will NEVER EVER even think about staying here again. Absolutely horrible.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cassy M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Garden Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Cassy M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret you received service which was less than satisfactory. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Despite your disappointment we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B

Reviewed December 27, 2012

There is a certain level of comfort you expect with a Holiday Inn, especally when one is paying a certain amount of money for a room. This was well below that standard.There are lots of nice hotels in neighboring Paramus, this isn't one of them. The place wasn' really dirty becasue of the maid service. It was dingy from the fact that it had not been updated since the 70's. The hallways were dim with dingy wall paper. The room had popcorn ceilings and curtains that I remember seeing at my first Holiday Inn stay in 1981. The desk chair was from the 80's and had a tear in the upholstery and the vent in the ceiling in the bathroom was dangling precariously over the tub. The tub had a puncture in it that was "fixed" with puddy. We were on one of the nonsmoking floors. What was odd was that it was above the smoking floor. Given that smoke rises, this placement seemed counter-intuitive. We were told that the breakfast was not a continental breakfast but "a full American breakfast." It was so-so. It was a continental breakfast with bacon, cold scrambled eggs, potatoes, and bagels that were fossilized. The pool was closed for renovation. This really irked me because the only reason we chose this place over other hotels was to use a pool and no one from the hotel bothered to tell us their advertised amenity was not available before our arrival, nor did they try to compensate us for this in any way or even apologize. the response was that it was my fault for not knowing since I booked through orbitz. Given they never told orbitz, I don't see how that was my fault or the fault of orbitz. The hotel had my phone number, email and credit card info. Its on them to care about meeting customer satisfaction. Anyway, with the pool closed we decided to try out the fitness center. The binder in our hotel room claimed there was two treadmills, free weights, a bike and an elliptical. So we headed down to run together on the treadmill. It turned out there was one treadmill and it was malfunctioning. I returned to the room to shower. The shower pressure was ok but after only 3 minutes I was in ankle deep water becasue the tub was having difficulty draining. I don't know how long it took to drain because partially through my shower a fire alarm went off. I grabbed my clothes and headed out. We walked around to the front of the building only to find the entire staff in the lobby, lights on, using the internet, all while the alarm was still going. Since this was a not a typical response one might have to a fire alarm, this seemed odd. So we asked what was going on. The guy at the main desk said, "it's the sensor." We'll be back in soon. 20 minutes later the sound alarm was turned off, although things were still flashing. We had booked for a second night but decided to check out before the entire hotel collapsed on us. I was told that since I had booked through orbitz for the two nights I would "lose the cost of the second night" There was no effort to compensate for their falsely advertised amenities and their faulty fire alarm. In other words, if you pay in full, they do not care if you are satisfied or ever come back again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank deevah77
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Garden Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear deevah77,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am deeply sorry for the over all issues you had during your stay. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. I have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your experience. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Average hotel price and appearance. Was warned that they would be working on plumbing from midnight until 5 AM. Problem was when I went to take my shower water temperature needed to be constantly adjusted to keep me from scalding myself or from freezing. Not sure if this is the problem they were trying to fix, or a problem they created. I would inquire about it before I stayed here again.

Another problem I find with all holiday inns over the last year or so is the AC will not cool down rooms during the winter months. Although I set it at 60°F, the temperature remained above 70 the entire night. I find this uncomfortable temperature. I used to bring this to the front desk attention but got tired of all the excuses. Just admit you do not allow your AC to fully work in the winter.

• Stayed: December 2012
Management08031, Manager at Garden Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Saddle Brook for your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again. Regarding the water issue, we have resolved it to ensure all future stays do not face any issues. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you, but the problem is now fixed. We look forward to have you stay again at our hotel and will guarantee a great experience!

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Terribly dirty. Terrible front desk staff. Water on floor in rooms. Another room wouldn't drain the handicapped showers. Burnt out light bulb in another room and front desk said they couldn't do anything about it. Was here with a group of 38 people. Never coming here again. Too many options. It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed: November 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Garden Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Verditec,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered specifically with the condition of the rooms and the front desk staff. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as they will be definitely looked into and our team will take actions accordingly. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

Karen G.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Having had problems in New York, so glad to find this hotel had a room for the night.
Bed room was excellent with very comfortable beds, good TV and bathroom. Had a nice meal in the evening in the hotel.
Due to problems following hurricane and impact on power the pool wasn't available, but understandable in the circumstances. We didn't go outside of hotel so no idea what is local, but had a good stay and would go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn – we were happy to serve you. Our staff strives to make our guests happy and comfortable and we are glad we were successful in doing so. Please come back to our hotel and we ensure your stay will be just as pleasant!