“Love their cakes & cookies”

Varrelmann's Bake Shop
Ranked #37 of 62 Restaurants in Rutherford
Reviewed April 15, 2014

At Easter last year they had chocolate covered pound cakes in the shape of lambs. It was amazing. I hope they have them this year! Their cookies are across the board above average. Stick to their cakes, cookies and doughnuts though. The bread won't keep you coming back... and the coffee could kill you.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I love 'old school' hometown bakeries -- they are part of the fabric of northern NJ. The pastries at Varrelmann's are tasty, especially their Linzer Tarts and their crumb cakes. The shop is dated, but there's nothing wrong with that -- it's an 'old school' bakery. Where I have a problem is this... when I've visited the bakery and the young girls are working behind the counter, they use tissue paper and don't touch the products with their hands (at least not when I can see them)! On the 2 occasions that there has been a moderately older woman behind the counter, she has grabbed the pastries with her hands, as well as the money -- sorry, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... pun intended.
Understand that the quality and taste are great, but I'm not too fond of seeing my food served with bare hands that are also handling currency. It might happen behind the scenes at any bakery, but if it's happening right in front of my eyes, I wonder what else goes on in the back.