“Great Stay after being stranded!”

Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family and I stayed at this Extended Stay America by chance last night. We blew a tire on our recently purchased, used, Ford Explorer on I95 (very, very scary!), and with no spare, along 22inch tires (hey, brand new engine and a great price we couldn't pass up), we had no choice but to be towed onto Route 17 and get a room for the night until the tires spots on route 46 opened. Using Hotwire, we were able to book this hotel at a very reasonable price, plus it was only 5 minutes from where our car was parked. Upon arriving at 11:00 at night, we were greeted by the kindest rep. She heard our experience and was quick to check us in, and had take-out menus ready for us (we had two children with us). She was very apologetic however because all double rooms were booked and we had to get a single for the night. Our room was clean, clean, clean and very comfortable! We had a full kitchen with a stove-top, microwave, full refrigerator, utensils, dining wear and a dishwasher (with wood flooring), WiFi, and thank goodness for the recliner, eventhough the kids wanted to camp out on the floor (the bedroom area was carpeted). I was actually amazed that it was like a studios suite! There was a 4G Flat screen television, with cable, for our viewing pleasure, and I'm POSITIVE that if my husband wasn't so exhausted from our evening's events, he would have spent half the night playing on the television!! The hotel is in sort of a secluded area, which made for a very quiet and restful sleep, and if we weren't so bitter about our mishap and being a stone's throw away from getting home, we would have enjoyed the city view! Bed was comfortable, but sleeping with a wild 5 year old and a 10 year old, I got pretty beat up over the night. This review only gets 4 out of 5 because the sink stopper was broken and there was a minor leak somewhere in the bathroom, but it was deal-able after the experience we had just went through.

At check-out early this morning, the Manager urged us to have take-away breakfast and my husband was GRATEFUL for the free coffee (while the kids sang "We're Not Gonna Take It"--they remembered seeing the commercial). He was very efficient at his job--he was checking us out, answering the phones, restocking coffee, and giving us detailed directions back to our car all at the same time (eventhough he insisted on calling us a cab--but we told him we didn't mind the walk--and $10 for a 2 minute cab ride was not worth it!). He was very kind and compassionate, and that's what we needed after our night. All and all, we had such a great experience, that we have considered using Extended Stay on our next travels to Virginia in October and our summer trips to the southern beaches next summer!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 313 which faced the grassy field, and had a great view of the city. It was very q...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Meadowlands – Rutherford, especially after the ordeal you and your family went through. I am so glad that we were able to make a difficult situation a bit easier for you, and that you were so comfortable during your impromptu visit with us. It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future, either at our hotel, or at one of our sister properties near the places you mentioned in your review. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for about 10 days, Hotel provides complimentary breakfast which is very nice. The front desk people are very nice and helpful. This is a good location for people coming for NY trip,, 7-8 miles from NY. Rooms are clean and neatly maintained. The other thing we liked is the kitchen facility in the rooms, they have basic utensils which is good for small family. even though we stayed here for close to 10 days we didn’t feel like we are in hotel, it was a homely experience

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Meadowlands - Rutherford. My entire staff and I strive to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you, and are so very glad that you found this so convenient for your family.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

newly renovated hotel,great staff from manager to porter. New rooms and tv's.
Great management.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Meadowlands - Rutherford. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Newly remodeled room with the bed and TV brought in just before I checked-in. Friendly and helpful staff that knows the area well. Close to a train station for easy travel into New York City.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Meadowlands - Rutherford. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

This is one of the newly built Extended Stay properties. It looks like it is in the middle of nowhere but assuming you have a car, it is very convenient to get on Route 17, Route 3 (to Manhattan) or the Turnpike to the other Jersey locations. Rooms and service are standard for the E.S. chain, nothing extra. No parking problems. If you ar not familiar with the area be very careful with directions,it i very easy to miss the road or get lost behind the Route 17 service roads. No convenience stores nearby bu if you hop onto Rte.17 North there are plenty, including a Starbucks and others. Oner Ayan.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ONER A
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience at Extended Stay America Meadowlands - Rutherford. We consider it a great compliment to get feedback like yours, and are truly honored for your recognition.
Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and for sharing your positive experience with others. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I booked this online through Hotels One for a 4 night stay. First off, its a difficult place to find, off of a service road. When I arrived the reception area was very sparce and dirty. The room I received was not acceptable, dirty, poor bed and bedding, when I asked for another room I was told that was the only room available. I would have left but there wasn't a room to be had in the area due to some special event going on. When I returned to the room the next evening nothing had been done, no maid service, when I asked when they would make up the room and clean sheets and towels, I was told they only do that for stays over one week, Eureka...need I say more...The hotel appears to be under construction, or Demolition. The room was not fit for a dog.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Philip R
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Meadowlands - Rutherford. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the bed in your suite. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Specifically, standard operating policy is that linens are always replaced with fresh, clean new bedding before a guest checks in. In addition, all rooms are inspected prior to being made available to the public. That having been said, I recognize the issue you have brought to my attention and discussed it with hotel staff and management.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stay at Extended Stay America hotels everywhere I go if there is one available. I have to say that ESA meadowlands Rutherford is the best one I have been to yet. I have stayed at this hotel once before and when I returned here a few months later the first person I saw was Jeff and he remembered me with no problem. Jeff always says hello and asks how my day was and if everything is ok with my room. Jeff always says that if I need anything just give him a call or stop by and let him know and he will take care of it. Jeff really makes staying here so far from home feel more like being at home. The courtesy and friendliness that he has makes me wish there were people like him at every hotel I stay at.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north east side have a great view of NYC.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Meadowlands - Rutherford. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
1 mi away
Hilton Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands

Been to Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford? Share your experiences!