All reviewskitchen supplieslong stayfull kitchenrooms are spaciousplace to staya great stayfront desk staffny
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My wife, son and I have avoided Extended Stay America hotels in our travels, as well as their sister chain, Homestead Suites, because of generally terrible reviews, When a freak fall storm took the power out in northern New Jersey, hotels filled up and offered only their top prices, and so we took a deep breadth and reserved two rooms(my son, 17, stopped sharing a room with us a few years ago) at the Extended Stay in Rutherford for a little less than $100 per room. This hotel is a relatively new mid-rise at the base of an offshoot of the Hackensack river that separates the Meadowlands sports stadiums from adjacent towns. There is no lobby, only a check in desk connected to a hallway leading to two modern though scuffed elevators. The second floor hallway(of which one of our rooms existed) smelled of food, and had a dirty carpet. Once in the room, there is a small kitchen up front, which seemed clean, a smallish bathroom, well lit, with plastic counters and a plastic tub-shower enclosure, also clean. Then, one bed which was a smallish queen sized, a desk and two nightables, and a worn and dirty looking upholstered chair. The windows, unusually, open. Once open, we could not close them, and we used the AC/heat fan mounted under the window to keep warm,
Bathroom amenities are limited to one bar of soap. The desk clerk explained that we could buy shampoo from a vending machine in the 2nd floor laundry room. $2 bought two small packets of Breck shampoo. In room internet costs 4.99 extra. There was an old style TV which had a good choice of channels. Our son's room had a window with a long view of the meadowlands, but both rooms had tortuous and uncomfortable beds. This hotel felt a bit slummy and if you can forgo a kitchen, and other economical choices are available, take them.

Room Tip: Hard to find. At end of service road off Rt. 3. Wing facing south and on upper floor more pleasant.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank goaroving
Reviewed November 1, 2011

When I entered the lobby looked clean and bright, but after check in it was all down hill. The hallway carpets were very stained making me quite wary. I entered the room and saw stains on the carpet. The kitchen area was functional but worn looking. I opened the freezer compartment and someone had dripped chocolate ice cream that had not been cleaned up. The recliner was so stained I refused to sit on it. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for any reason. The bathroom mirror had many chips on the edges. I guess I was hoping for too much to have an iron and ironing board.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Teresa622
Reviewed September 28, 2011

If you need a quiet place, out of the noise of the city this is the place to stay! just go buy your food to make it or ask for delivery near by!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Needed a room on a rainy afternoon in order to spend time with my niece who lives near this hotel and her three tiny babies (I live in New York City) as I cannot go into her home due to being allergic to her cat. We would have been able to sit outside in her yard, had it not been a very stormy day. So, I booked this hotel through priceline and told the front desk reception that we would only be there for a short while. The very warm and professional young woman at reception assigned me a beautiful, clean room with a great firm mattress (sat on it to try it) and every single area of the room was spotless. I am so happy to find this hotel that is near my niece which means that now we can spend a few hours together talking and sharing with me having the opportunity to spend time with the babies at other times, especially in the winter when it is too cold to sit outside.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2010

My husband and I paid to spend a few nights at this hotel while we apartment-hunt. BAD DECISION. At over $100 a night, I thought I could expect a reasonably-comfortable, clean hotel with a few amenities. I was wrong.
The room smells funny. Not terrible, but "off."
When my husband pulled down the sheets on the bed, there were dark black hairs (more than one) on the sheets and both pillows. And the blanket. He went downstairs to get a new blanket, only to be given a new "clean" one that was ALSO full of human hair. When I pulled the comforter off the bed it was actually damp in an area with several pubic hair on it. EW. We ended up having to get our own bedding out of our car and put it on the bed.
While the rest of the room is reasonably clean (although there were black hairs in the bathroom sink and countertop, too) this experience is so disgusting that I feel like I need to wash all of my clothes and objects as soon as we leave this hotel. We've even picked up antibacterial wipes to wipe down everything here.

Also disappointing, though not deal-breakers in and of themselves:
1. No work out facilities
2. Very limited television channels
3. They only clean your room once a week

The only benefit I can think of of this place is the wireless internet connection and the fact that the fridge and kitchen appliances are very clean.

If I had to do it all over again, I would just stay at a Best Western or a Holiday Inn or something and forego the kitchenette - at least it would be clean.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple