“Very Clean, Modern and Spacious.”

Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I stayed at the Renaissance for one night. The front desk staff was extremely welcoming. The rooms were spacious, extremely clean and modern. It was a very comfortable stay and I will return.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2009

I'm in shock that a Marriott hotel has such terrible staff!
For most of my hotel stays I choose Marriott hotels. So I did for this time, what a mistake!
Check-in is at 3:00, I arrived at 3:10 and I was told there were no rooms avaliable! I asked if I could get an upgrade to a jacuzzi suite and I will pay the extra fee, and she said "ok, the room will be ready within 10-15 minutes". So I sat in the lobby and waited 20 minutes and then I went to the desk to find out "the girl" has left and now Mark was taking care of me. So I ask Mark if my room is ready, and he replies by saying that "it will be another 10-15 minutes" by this point I was irritated and I said well I will have to leave but I'll be back in 2-3 hours. They should have it ready by then right? NOOOOT!
I came back 3 hours later, checked-in and there was no jacuzzi in the room! I waited 3 hours for a jacuzzi suite and I got a standard room!
Went back to the front desk and explained my situation to two employees and they drew this blank face on me and told me I had to pay full amount for the jacuzzi suite, meaning that I had to pay the FULL difference and not just an upgrade fee. So I argued over the situation and a nice guest that was staying at the hotel overheard us arguing and came in and said that he had a jacuzzi suite and he could switch up the rooms with us. The front desk staff yelled at him and told him "STAY OUT OF THIS!". The poor guy was like "OK, OK". At this point I wanted to speak to the supervisor and only to find that I was speaking to the supervisor! Who Made This Guy A Supervisor!!!??? Since When Do Hotel Supervisors Act Nasty Like That?? This Guy Should Be Lucky He Has A Job Right Now, And Should Really Do His Job The Best That He Can! If It Was This Kind Of A Mix Up In A Different Hotel They Would've Upgraded For No Extra Fee By Now!!!
I still ended up paying a difference of $159 which is one of the highest upgrade fee I had to pay in such hotels!
Room was just okay, jacuzzi was allright (buttons were missing). It looked like it was old.

I will definitely reconsider when staying in any other Marriott branch hotel. I will definitely try to stay out of this Renaissance!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlyGuy06
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I have stayed at this property several times in years past and must admit it was time for a renovation. The hotel rooms are fresh and nicely decorated, the CL upstairs is totally new.
The staff at the front desk are friendly and the hotel is a great find.

CK's steakhouse is one of the best in North Jersey! I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the meadowlands area.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2008

Travelled to New York for vacation. My friend and his wife stayed at the Renaissance Meadowlands 5 years ago and said we should stay there again. Comfortable, large, quiet and clean rooms. AND I'M PICKY when it comes to hotels! We took the bus #192 outside the hotel to and from Manhattan. 15 minute bus ride and you were at the Port authority. The bus was safe and efficient. We always went into Manhattan after 9:00 a.m. to miss rush hour and came back after 7:00 p.m. usually around 11:00 p.m. The cost for the bus was $ 3.40 which is very cheap. We did take a taxi our first night. The Yellow cabs will try to rip you off. One quoted us $ 140, but we found one for $ 80. If you do take a taxi, just made sure you have address and directions of the Hotel ready to give to the Cabby as they are not familiar with the area. However, it is very easy to get to the Hotel from Manhattan.
We met a number of people that stayed in New Jersey area and this Hotel is very good to enjoy your stay and not pay the high prices of Manhattan. When we shopped in Mahattan we used Macy's coat and package check on the lower floor to " check our bags" so we were not walking around Manhattan with all our purchases. The Coat/package check in Macy's is really good and secure and it closes at 9:00 p.m. so you just have to plan to pick-up your purchases just before then.
The Restaurant hat the Hotel has a very good breakfast and offers complimentry coffee in the rooms, a newspaper and access to internet. Our next visit to New York will be with the Reanissance Meadowlands. The staff at the Hotel were always more than wiling to help you out and give you directions and advice.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovetovacation79
Reviewed October 20, 2008

This hotel is a good choice if you are looking for either a business stay or leisure stay in North Jersey and/or one not far from Manhattan. Front staff very friendly and helpful. I'm quite familiar with the area but the guest being helped next to me as I was checking in received very good directions from the front desk about the commute into NYC. (The NJ Transit 192 bus stops right across the street from the hotel and will take you into the Port Authority in the city which puts you near Times Square and other NYC subways for transportation.)

This Meadowlands/Rutherford NJ hotel is the most upscale in the area. Good food will be found at CK's Steakhouse inside the hotel. There is room service although I have yet to try it, but I imagine it would be good. The rooms are well-appointed with top-notch bedding and well stocked bathrooms. Hotel everywhere is very clean and fresh-smelling. By staying in Jersey, you can avoid expensive parking fees if you have a car as the Renaissance in Rutherford has self-parking on the hotel lot. This is a suburban area which is reasonably safe. Only negative I can say is I did hear a few doors slam in the morning, and there was some traffic noise as well from Route 3 just outside, but all in all I had a very comfortable stay. I did not hear any noise from adjoining rooms, so I did sleep well.

If you are looking for an alternative to the pricey hotels in Manhattan, and also want to stay somewhere a bit more upscale with easy access into the city, I would recommend trying the Renaissance Meadowlands in the NJ suburb of Rutherford. However, if you do stay here, make sure to fly into Newark Liberty rather than either LaGuardia or JFK. You will save both precious time and money getting to and from the airport!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2008

Another business trip, another hotel. We were working on the New Jersey side of NY, so needed somewhere in the vicinity. There's not a lot of choice, but this was really a rather nice hotel, so I was quite impressed. You'll need to print out the address for cab drivers from JFK, but those from Newark seemed to know where it was. Conveniently situated right off the highway, yet it was quiet and peaceful inside. There's a bus stop right over the road, which gets you into NY in 20 mins, so it's also a good tourist option (especially at half the price of a midtown NY hotel).

The car park is big enough, and seemed safe while we were there. The lobby is big, marble lined, and seemed really peaceful. Staff were very helpful, managing to check some of us in at just 10am, and the rest by 11am.

The rooms were really big, compared with most central NY hotels they were about twice the size. Everything very clean, comfortable beds, big writing desk with free, fast, wired internet access (cable provided). No views to speak of (mostly highway), but the big windows made it all very light and bright. The bathroom was a bit smaller, but clean and with a nice range of toiletries provided. Plenty of cupboards for clothes, and great if you've got small kids with you on the sofabed/z-bed, as there's plenty of room to spread out in.

We also booked a meeting room - excellent set-up with big table and comfy chairs, cables to connect laptops to display on a big plasma screen. A tip for business people is to book the meeting room as one of the bedrooms as it has a pull-down bed in it and an en-suite bathroom, and is just as nice as the rest of the bedrooms. Room service was efficient, and the range of food was quite good (salads, burgers, paninis). The hotel also has a small business centre where we could do photocopying and printing. Just down the road there's a small shopping complex with a business centre for large scale printing too.

Breakfast was really nice - they had all the usual stuff (pancakes, eggs), plus a range of smoothies and healthier options. We also ate in the restaurant for dinner one day, and I had one of the best steaks I've ever had. The staff are excellent, and service is really good.

Finally, there a small pool and fitness gym in the hotel. The pool was spotless, with a small jacuzzi bit. The fitness bit looked fine, and one of my colleagues said it was quite well-set up and more than adequate for him.

All in all, an excellent choice for both business and pleasure, especially at the price. It's not right in the centre of NY, but the large rooms and peace and quiet really make up for this, and the bus is very convenient - maybe not great if you have teenagers who want to be at the centre of things, but nice if you have small kids or just need a bit of calm to escape to. For business it's a great choice, with good facilities. We're going back for another meeting in a couple of weeks, and we'll be using this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed here because we were attending a wedding very close to the hotel. The hotel is conveniently located right off the highway. I also enjoyed the fact that there is a bus stop right across from the hotel that takes you to NY in less than 30 minutes. The hotel staff was great and the rooms were very quiet and nice.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands

Been to Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel? Share your experiences!