“Nice choice if you are in Rutherford”

Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
chicago
“Nice choice if you are in Rutherford”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding. Large rooms and nice amenities, pool, and fitness room. One thing to note is that you cannot walk from the Kingsland rail station. At some point the sidewalk ends and you have to either walk in the grass or the side of a busy street or you cut through a construction site and then walk in the grass (with your suitcases). After i made this trek, I checked the Marriott site which says to get off in Rutherford or take the bus. Maybe the rutherford stop has sidewalks, not sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
annyong1,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your business, and we're glad to have had you as our guest. I'm glad you liked our hotel, and I hope you will come and visit us again. As a side note for our future travelers, if taking the train to Rutherford or Kingsland we recommend taking a taxi to the hotel since either station is a mile and a half away. If taking the bus, we recommend getting off on Polito Avenue which is right at the corner of the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel years ago for a family funeral and because of our great experience, it was first to come to our mind when we again needed a place to stay due to a death in the family.

Our family booked two rooms for two evenings. The first room, for my parents was nicely appointed with a king size bed and arm chair while the other room for my husband, daughter and I was HUGE. It offered two queen size beds, sofa and coffee table. There was plenty of space left for a roll away bed as well. Both rooms also offered a very large desk.

The room amenities were nice with a soft duvet, quality fluffy towels, toiletries, including toothpaste and an assortment of pillows. The one detraction from the amenities was the in Mini fridge. It was on the loud side for sure.

We ate three meals at the on site restaurant. The first morning's breakfast was delicious and all 5 dishes were piping hot. Service was spot on. That evening after having had a big lunch we were looking for a bit of a lighter dinner and not wanting to venture off property ventured into the restaurant hoping that we could order something along the lines of soups and appetizers or salads. It was not a problem and the food again was wonderful. My mother and daughter are STILL raving about the scallop appetizer.

Another downside, which could be readily rectified by staff training, was the breakfast which was included with our package. Procedure was not mentioned when we checked in. Luckily I remembered to ask before we retired for the night. The woman at the front desk told me that she would send our room numbers over to the restaurant so they would have them in the morning offering no other details. Upon arriving in the dining room the next morning they had no information but told us to just order what ever we wished off of the menu. At the end of the meal we were presented with the check. We reminded the waiter that it was included with our package. He offered to check with the front desk which he did. When he returned he said it was taken care of. We went through a similar situation the following morning albeit with a different server. I am always a bit leery about these kinds of situations but hoped for the best. Upon check out there were no "surprise" charges on our bill. For the extra $10 per person per night, it was an excellent value.

The disappointment the second morning was that all of our potatoes were ice cold. The server was busy with another table which was a very large party. We were able to grab the attention of the hostess and explained it to her. She said nothing and walked off. Five minutes later she returned with a casserole full of, this time, lukewarm potatoes. Oh well at least we tried. Looking back on it now I have a distinct feeling there were two different cooks in the kitchen these two mornings. The potatoes the first morning were very nicely sauteed and HOT. The second morning, the potatoes were deep fried and cold.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for its cleanliness, amenities and location. My husband, daughter and I look forward to returning in the future to use the hotel as our home base for visiting New York City.

Room Tip: A room on the east side of the hotel has a view of New York City in the distance, but the hum of tra...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Arubalisa,
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate having you and your family as our guests, and pleased you all enjoyed your stay. I'm glad we have become your place to stay when visiting NYC! We welcome you any time and hope you will return soon.
Norfolk
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent a wonderful night here at the beginning of a sister's weekend up the Hudson River. The public places and the rooms were beautifully appointed. The staff was warm and welcoming. My only regret was to be there on the weekend so the concierge room was not open.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
NorfolkJL,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We're glad you chose to stay with us, and pleased you enjoyed your visit. I hope you had a good time with your sisters! Please come and stay with us again, especially when the Concierge Lounge is open. Just a small note, our Concierge Lounge is open Sunday evening to Friday morning. See you soon.
Katy, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This was a great place to stay with easy access to many attractions. It is also very close to public transit to NYC. Hotel was nicely laid out & service was friendly. We were able to enjoy some harness racing over at the track & go to the city for dinner & a show.

• Stayed August 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
dwilson785,

Thank you for staying with us at Renaissance and writing a wonderful review on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a very busy yet enjoyable stay. Thank you for letting other viewers know we are a great hotel and close to many exciting attractions. We hope you will return and stay with us again soon.

Yours truly,
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Not the same hotel as the pictures. The shower was dangerous, funny threshold that was very slippery, the water slipped right on the floor. This room is a hazard for anyone, and I am not handicapped. The can only imagine how it is for someone unsure on their feet.

The air conditioner rumbled like a truck all night and did not cool anything. The pool was old, dirty and not inviting. The hot tub was stained, the entire hotel smelled like chlorine, and my wife and I both had an itchy red rash when we got out, and we had to shower in that awful shower.

Your associate at the desk was confused when I checked in, so when I left I saved my time by not saying anything. But I see someone else did according to other reviews on Trip Advisor, but nothing was done.

Seems the shower and A/C is an ongoing issue.

It is very close to NY and the Meadowlands, but I will try somewhere else. If I had paid, I would have asked for a refund. I used my Marriott points for the room, I emailed them and asked for my points back. Very very disappointed. Ruined our time.

Room Tip: I am not sure.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
gr70545 ,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We're pleased to have had you and your wife stay with us at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel. All of your concerns have been addressed in a personal e-mail to you, and I appreciate your kind response. We are in the process of repairing the appearance of the hot tub and assure you it is totally safe and clean. Inspections are done weekly to test the water and we've had no issue with the water quality. I've also checked the a/c unit and I have submitted a work order to get it replaced. Thank you very much for corresponding with us. We invite you and your wife back at any time to experience a more pleasant stay.

cagedmonkees
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there with my handicapped travel companion. Requested a roll in shower. The shower had a metal plate on the floor of the shower. This created a problem with not having a level surface for someone that has mobility problems. When I complained at front desk, the maintenance man was there and said that was the only way they could create a pitch for the water to go down the drain. Iffy solution for a regular room, however for a handicapped room this is a nightmare. The desk said they will be renovating soon. I hope so!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cagedmonkees
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Cagedmonkees,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us on TripAdvisor. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I will look into it expediently.

Bedford, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed a few weeks ago for a conference. The hotel was great; clean, no issues at all. It's very close to the bus stop and the staff was very nice at helping a southern girl learn the bus route. :). After my experience with the Newark Airport, I hope I never step foot in NJ again, but if I had to, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands

Been to Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel? Share your experiences!