“A Taste of Cuba”

Mambo Tea House
Ranked #7 of 62 Restaurants in Rutherford
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At Mambo Tea House, we offer authentic Cuban cuisine and Asian teas in a beautiful and cozy setting. The merge of two cultures is a direct reflection of the co-owners. The husband and wife team are from the Caribbean and Hong Kong, respectively. Come in for some delicious cuisine and friendly service! We are a BYOB!
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We decided to get out of the office for a break from the routine. My friends wanted something different and exotic. I'd heard of Mambo Tea House from a good friend. So we thought we'd give it a try. This place is on the main street of Rutherford which is chock full of quaint shops and restaurants that could take you around the world. Mambo Tea House fits right in. As you walk in, you feel like you're in Asia, hence the Tea House component in the name.

The food was basic and a bit more expensive than what you can find a few miles away in Union Cuty. My chicharron de pollo (Latin fried chicken) lacked the chicharron (crisped chicken skin) which was the main reason I chose this dish. It was simply chicken chunks in a soggy batter. My rice was a bit raw and crunchy and the beans were watered down. I was disappointed. The picadillo my friend had looked soupy not at all what picadillo is supposed to be. The Maritsa (fried pork chunks) did look to be good. I sure wish I had ordered that. The Cuban sandwich my other friend had looked basic. All in all just an OK meal. Next time I'll take my friends up the hill to Bergenline Ave for a truly authentic Cuban meal.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This BYOB gem of a restaurant is located along the east end of Park Ave. Ambiance is great, service is fast yet personal. Our waiter tended to requests (6 women with 3 bottles of wine) and made us feel at home. The fare delicious and is reasonably priced. The serving portion is just right. We requested an appetizer made to our liking (not in the menu) and they obliged. We stayed and lingered on our table but we never felt like we were hurried even for a Friday eve.
I would come back again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

On my 50 th Birthday My duaghter and boyfriend had made reservations a month in advanced when my daughter got there they said that there were no reservations made that was red flag #1, then they accomodated us we ordered mussels in garlic sauce where some mussels had broth and other plates where dried without broth red flag #2, then at entree ... my rice was cold and and my skirt had no flavor what so ever and chimichirri sauce lacked garlic and salt... to end the night we ordered cappuchinos they gave us cafe con leche we told waiter we didnt order that and they proceed to serve it to next table after 15mins. they served our cofffee and great tres leche cake we proceed to pay bill $385.00 later when we didnt even finish our deserts and coffee and owner told us we had to leave because they needed table to many people waitng outside. I was so embarrased for my friends and family. I will not be going their any longer!

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Overall good food. Been there twice as i try not to review place on just one experience. Empanadas and masitas de cerdo were very good. The ham croquetas Which are my childhood favorite appetizers were very disappointing. They were served with a tomato based sauce. Ugh. The rest of the food was flavorful but I've had better so they didn't wow me. The one dish that was delicious was their Caribbean fried rice that comes with shrimp and maduros but that is only served with one or two dishes or you have to order it as an additional side. That was yummy so when we went back another night I asked the waiter is I could replace the side my dish came with for the Caribbean fried rice he said no. It had to be ordered separately. That inflexibility killed thus place for us. It's BYOB so that's a plus. But when I'm in the mood for real Cuban food I go to Cuban Pete's in montclair or Habana in Hackensack.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We tried for reservation but were told no room, then Igancio called back again and said we could fit us in early. We drove from Baltimore for Maroon 5 concert and felt very welcome. My daughter who worked in Spain said it was best Spanish style/ tapas she has had since she has been home. What to order: crab/shrimp croquettes, empanadas, banana chips and yes ropa vieja. Fabio was very friendly as server. This was such a refreshing change versus a famous but expensive Spanish restaurant in Baltimore last weekend where we had to wait 50 min past our reservation to be seated. 5 stars across the board!