“Superb.”
Review of The PASS - CLOSED

The PASS
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chef and charcutier, Matthew Ridgway, has transformed a rural landmark into a showcase for his vision of french-inspired cuisine, in a setting that's casual by design.
Stockton, New Jersey
“Superb.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you appreciate gourmet cuisine, enchanting combinations of tastes, farm fresh ingredients skillfully prepared, subtle yet complex flavors and textures, this is an epicurean paradise for you. However, if you want to fill up on baskets of bread, enjoy old school and boring cuisine, this may not be the place for you. We love it, go as often as we can and are NEVER, EVER disappointed.

• Visited September 2013

New York
“Great new restaurant - check it out”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Pass restaurant opened 17 weeks ago and was by far one of the highlights of our three day weekend in the Bucks County area. There is only a priced fixed menu, but it's incredibly reasonable at $38 for 3 courses. The food was incredibly creative and delicious. We loved every dish we had, and if the beet soup is on the menu absolutely order it.

The service was friendly and warm, we ended up feeling like we were at someone's house for dinner. Great ambience.

Two notes - restaurant is BYOB and the chef is famous for his charcuterie, which is not on the menu, but you should ask to have it. Delicious meats and pates -- totally worth it if you are a meat-eater.

Don't let people steer you away from this place just because its new and not on the "list" of recommended places yet! Highly highly recommend!

• Visited September 2013
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Excellent restaurant in an unexpected setting”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went there for our anniversary with friends for their pre-fixe dinner. The restaurant decor is cute and a bit funky, the menu eclectic and the service excellent. There were 3 courses, with a choice of 4 different items for each. The presentations were very well done, and the portion sizes small but filling.

This night, the appetizers were a little too heavy in aspic (both local heirloom tomato and octopus were jellied), but our entrees of duck and rabbit were very good but small, and the desserts were wonderful.

I'll give them points for presentation, local produce, service, and the menu was interesting, but I think they need to do some "tweeking" before I would up my rating. It was "good" (above average), but has a ways to go before making "excellent".

• Visited August 2013
“Still needs some work...”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Robodoggie and Mrs went to The Pass with another couple. Just so-so, but I think they have potential. Gonna give it six months or so and try again.

$38.50 fixed price: Appetizer, entrée and dessert. You choose from about 4 items in each category. We mixed things up a bit so we had a pretty decent overview of the food. BYO.

First disappointment: No bread. The waiter brought a small basket of about five fried rice puffs with a sprinkling of zaatar spice and announced that this was "courtesy of the chef". They were just OK and - sorry, but that's not a "courtesy" item and no bread - unacceptable.

Butcher's paté was quite good, with a pastry crust. Chanterelles in a Japanese custard was fine. Nothing fantastic, but fine. It was very mild and a bit bland but for the 'shrooms. The real-deal Japanese dish has a delicate and sublime balance that was missing. The lobster bisque was actually disappointing. Very little lobster meat, very little lobster flavor and, again - a bit nondescript.

Main courses: Two of us had the skirt steak with a chimichurri sauce. The steak was quite good - tender and grainy like a skirt steak should be, but not much of it. Two pieces that were sort of hidden beneath a large fried potato chunk. The hake was fresh but a bit bland. The last entrée was a special - mussels. No complaints there either. (But no bread to sop up the juices at the end - again, unacceptable).

Desserts: We had each of the four desserts, a hot blueberry compote with cream, sugar tarte - which was a caramelized dish, peach financier (cake) - probably the best, and I paid a $3 surcharge to have cheese. Now, I've had cheese many times for dessert and the norm is to get at least two, perhaps three types of cheese. Not here: one type (two fair slices). The cheese is locally made (Bobolink Dairy) and was good, if unremarkable, but honestly - there should be a blue or a creamy camembert or a chevre or something interesting.

(Drip) coffee was acceptable, but nothing more. Neither espresso nor cappuccino available.

Finally a word about our waiter. I'm sure he's a friendly person, but he was not an experienced waiter. He did know the menu, a plus, but there was something about his service that was just awkward. Placement of things on the table, unsure about opening wine, answers to questions such as our inquiry about cappuccino etc.

1 Thank Robodoggie
Lambertville, New Jersey
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Well, they say "to each his own." I was very disappointed by the restaurant despite the other good reviews. I do like that the menu changes frequently, and it could have been the choices that week, but I did not enjoy our foods. I found the appetizer, a chantrelle salad over custard, quite tasteless and unappetizing; my entree, a skirt steak with chimmichuri equally unappealing. The steak was rare (they did not ask) and although I made my preference known after sending the dish back, it was not corrected, nor did the servers ask if it was correct. Dessert was good, but for the money we paid, dessert was the only thing I enjoyed. For French food, I will now sick to Manon in Lambertville, which is always pleasing.