“A fortunate find”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Waitstaff
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“A fortunate find”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We were past my dinnertime and travelling through New Jersey on I-80, which the seasoned motorist knows is full of exits that trap a driver in a maze of no-turn divided highways, traffic circles and jug handles. So we picked out exits carefully, and this one had the requisite easy off--easy on features. A couple of right turns took us to this little strip mall full of food options, and Fei Asian looked most intriguing, so in we went.

It was near closing time on a Wednesday, and the place was empty. The server seated us immediately and we got undivided attention, of course, except for a carry-out customer. That they were willing to provide full service to late-comers speaks to their professionalism, and service was flawless.

The menu here is heavy on sushi and Thai, with some generic oriental options. My wife has been studying oriental cuisine and wanted to try the Mai Fun beef. She enjoyed it thoroughly, the noodles were perfect for her palate. Mine was the Thai mango chicken, a sort of Thai sweet-sour with medallions of white meat, carrots, red onion, red and green bell pepper, and chunks of soft mango; there's a creamy sauce on top and a good deal of mango juice below. Depending on what veggies you load on the fork, each bite takes on a sweeter or tangier tone so the dish never seems monotonous. This entree came with soup or salad; I chose the won ton soup, and the broth was a little thin but the won tons were tasty.

Prices seemed a tiny bit high, but the place was immaculate, the options original, and the service immaculate. I'm going to remember this place. It's my policy not to order sushi unless I know and trust the establishment, and if I'm able to return I'm going to give their sushi bar a taste.

• Visited June 2014

“Awesome! ”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Dont let the fact that it's in a strip Mall fool you. This place is fantastic...from a simple wonton soup to their spicy Kani salad to their delicious scallops. Owner is very nice and the food is fresh and delicious.

1 Thank KTolerico
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Give it a try ”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Wow! Upon arrival I was a little skeptical, being in a strip mall and only one other patron in the restaurant, but I figured I would give it a go since the waitress had already spotted me. Apps were good (salad, soup and egg roll) sushi was great (bonsai roll) and the server was pleasant. What more can one ask for? Only complaint, they don't serve booze. Oh well, on to the next place for that. I recommend giving it a try.

Rockaway, New Jersey
“Best sushi around; hidden gem”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I am always skeptical going into an Asian non-Japanese restaurant that serves sushi. I live in the area, so I gave Fei a try. The first time, we ordered a hot dish and a cooked (eel) roll to be safe. I was pleasantly surprised. The next time, we tried another cooked roll...the Spider roll. I have had many spider rolls in many places, and this was one of the best I ever had. Emboldened, I tried the sushi the next time and was VERY pleasantly surprised. Way better than anything in the area; only Sushi Hana comes close. They are very friendly there, and all in all it is a pleasant dining experience. If you are getting cooked dishes (chicken, beef, shrimp), bypass the chicken and beef and go straight for shrimp. I have not tried the hibachi or terriyaki yet.

• Visited December 2013
Rockaway, New Jersey
“Amazing quality and presentation, it's a hidden gem!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Located in the outer strip mall near Verizon, you would never guess what an amazing restaurant this is. Don’t be fooled by the outside, strip mall location as it’s a hidden gem! The sushi is so fresh and the presentation is fabulous. My family LOVES sushi, but I prefer cooked food. This restaurant has something for everyone! Their Teriyaki chicken is to die for, and their hibachi shrimp is so flavorful that it far exceeds any Japanese restaurant I’ve ever been to. After several trips with the family, I have now sampled some sushi as well. Yes you heard me; I actually ate raw fish and loved it! OMG it didn’t taste like fish at all lol … I had the tuna appetizer and the sushi pizza, both were fabulous! They also have some Thai and Chinese selections on the menu AND it’s a BYO! You can’t go wrong with this restaurant!

• Visited December 2013