“Nice hotel, great staff, fun location!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway

Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rockaway
Houston, Texas
“Nice hotel, great staff, fun location!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is great! I really enjoyed my stay here. I was here for two nights while on business in the area. The staff is very friendly and kind. The hotel is easy to locate, right off of Route 80. There is a shopping mall and many smaller shopping centers within walking distance.

The food is good. I had a breakfast omelet and bacon, and chicken tenders for dinner one night. Both good! There is a pool and gym as well.

I'd stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This Hotel is perfectly located for anyone but especially for myself, being a local with no power(which means the well doesn't pump water) after Hurricane Sandy I knew exactly where I'd go. The staff has been so friendly and helpful even with the guests that may let their tempers get the best of them during a stressful time. The only issue I have is at one point I had to switch rooms(not a big deal, totally understand) but I may have left something behind and trying to find out if it was found is proving to be rather difficult, everytime I call/ask housekeeping is on the floor or left for the day and no one asked them. I'm sure the phone chrager will turn up eventually its just a slight inconvenience not having it now.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn at the Rockaway Mall provides a pleasant atmosphere and convenient access to highways and shopping. My room was clean and I enjoyed the manager's reception. I will certainly stay here again...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lewf
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Really nice and sweet place plus its close to the Rockaway Mall, near the high way the room is clean and reasonably priced, we had a great time and fun. the restaurant they have also have a good food and fast service which we liked for breakfast and lunch, we shall be back we liked this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky R
Totowa, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed there this past Saturday night. The room was fine, but the breakfast buffet was the worst! Where do they get off charging $11.99 for that. We have had been complimentary buffets at other hotels (Quality Inn, Holiday Inn). The mushy scrambled eggs, dried out sausage and soggy french toast were not worth the price. All four of us agreed, next time (if there is) we'll go to a dinner!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ben Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent experience with our hotel and breakfast buffet. I am glad to hear you found your room comfortable. I understand that you were disappointed with the breakfast selections and I have brought your comments to our culinary team who are actively reworking our offerings with your comments in mind. The next time you are in area we would love to have you come back to see the changes we have made and provide feedback.
Port Charlotte, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We needed a place to stay in the area which we had no clue about. We trusted the reviewers on TripAdvisor and they were accurate and helpful which is how we selected this hotel. It is in a great location for a traveler, near a few chain restaurants and a shopping mall. When we arrived they were serving free self serve, no limit, appetizers: lasagna, sausage, peppers, and onions, and slices of tomatoes with mozzarella. They were excellent and we were just surprised that this was free and available to everyone who entered. People were at the bar, there is a fireplace/ TV area where people were getting ready to watch the debate. We checked out the menu at the hotel's restaurant and were happy with what we ordered. My husband had an excellent hamburger and I ordered the cavatelli & broccoli aioli. The salads were really fresh- that was a nice surprise. The room was large with super comfortable beds and clean. We were pleased.

Room Tip: From what we can tell we got a great rate using hotels.com based upon other reviewer's comments...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ben Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. We take great pride in our hotel and when someone like you enjoys their stay it makes us feel good. We try and provide a comfortable feel for our guest both in our hotel and restaurant area. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Newton, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I reserved a King Jacuzzi Suite for nearly $300 and were extremely disappointed with our stay. There were no television channels available whatsoever, one of the television remotes was not working, the shower head was disconnected from the wall and the soap dish in the shower was also loose from the wall. Our card was automatically charged $15 after previewing a music channel on the television without warning or permission. We were under the impression that the jacuzzi was a two-person (there are no pictures on the website, however, every hotel we have patronized has a two-person jacuzzi suite) and instead it was essentially a large bathtub with jets.

The Great American Grill had sub-par food at high prices. The supposed state-of-the-art sleep system with adjustable firmness was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in, by far. Between the bed and the unbelievably noisy a/c unit next to the bed which hissed and thudded all night, we barely got any sleep. For the price we paid for one night, and because of the Hilton brand, we expected comfort, convenience, and the best amenities and were very disappointed. The concierge immediately refunded some of our money on the morning of our departure and stated that others had complained about the televisions not working or working improperly. In addition, the advertised 24 hour Pavillion Pantry and breakfast were NOT complimentary- $8 for two small snacks and $11.95 per person for breakfast- after paying so much for our room one would think that they would at least throw in some coffee and a bagel! Of course, none of this was explained to us even though it was advertised everywhere.

I immediately sent an email regarding our stay using the website form and have yet to hear back from anyone. I have also sent a letter to the director of operations and am awaiting a response. I sincerely hope that their attempts at resolving this issue aren't as terrible as our stay.

The only thing that was decent was the staff, who was very friendly- this included the daytime and nighttime concierge and our server at the Great American Grill. Our room was also very clean, so the housekeeping staff was also great.

My advice is to not waste your money and stay at any one of the numerous hotels in the area that is not exorbitantly priced. At any one of the other hotels, there are many more amenities and complimentary items for a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi Suites are not worth the money!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ben Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking a few minutes to write a few words about our hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. It appears that the room you booked was not the room you expected it to be in comparison to others that you have stayed in. As for any problems with the room I take full responsibility for them and I assure you they will be addressed. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff they and I appreciate them. I hope we have the opportunity to serve your hotel needs again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockaway
Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Arlington-Rockaway Area
Hampton Inn Denville / Rockaway / Parsippany
Hampton Inn & Suites Parsippany/North
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
#1 of 2 in Mount Arlington
Holiday Inn Budd Lake-Rockaway Area

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway? Share your experiences!