“The beds are awesome!”

Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rockaway
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here overnight while visiting our daughter's new home hosewarming party. Located in a large mall there are stores and many choices for eating within walking distance. The bed is adjustable but nicely plush. I really snuggled in!. large rooms, clean, and they also have small fridge & microwave. I would consider staying here again whenever I have to visit this area. Frequent work for my husband @ Picatinny Arsenal would make this a great choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Ben Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to say nice things about our hotel. We look forward to having you anytime either for work or pleasure. All of our rooms are equipped with the sleep number and are considered the top of the line in the industry.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night while in the area kayaking Splitrock resevoir. The entire hotel was clean,upscale and pleasing. The front desk and lobby/restaurant area was wide open and welcoming. Our room,also,was very clean,spacious and comfortable.For a few extra dollars,breakfast was included and was very good and filling. Would absolutely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Mary,
Thank you for taking the time to say nice things about our hotel. My staff and I appreciate having you and hope to see you again the next time you are in the area kayaking or for any other reason.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

In my experience, the Garden Inn brand is consistent across locations and provides very good value. This property is located next to a humongous mall (the bookstore was great but it was lost in 2011), and has good and diverse eating options within walking distance. The I-80 is nearby, access to Route 46 and I-287 is also good.
The staff is very nice and helpful.
Sometimes it get crowded when there's a party, and the elevators are really slow (as in hospital-slow). Other than that, solid value all around.

Room Tip: For some reason, I found the 2nd floor to be noisier than the 3rd, esp. from neighbors' bathroom...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sandra L
Ben Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our hotel and the brand. We take pride in our property and comments like yours help provide us with the will and desire to continue with the work we are doing. We look forward to seeing back again in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

My sister and I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn in Rockaway NJ for 3 nights. We really liked the hotel. It has a good location in the Rockaway mall complex and has plenty of free parking. The room was very spacious with two queen beds and many mod cons such as a coffee maker and even a microwave! The ensuite bathroom was clean and the shower functioned well, and plenty towels and some nice toiletries were supplied. There was free wifi in the room and the connection was reliable and fast; there was also a business centre in the hotel lobby with two computers and a printer that guests can use at any time of day. The hotel has a smallish swimming pool with changing rooms, a good supply of more towels, and loungers, chairs and tables beside it. The water seemed a bit cloudy but we still went in it and survived! There is also a gym, which we didn't use but it looked quite good. There are comfy sofas and chairs in the lobby area. We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night there- the food was adequate, and it is possible to get breakfast there, but we would recommend the Rockaway Townsquare Diner, which is 5 mins drive from the hotel and does great pancakes and omelettes!

The hotel reception staff were reasonably helpful (they recommended a hairdresser, bookshop and the diner to us when we asked) but a little disorganised at times. This was especially noticeable when we woke on Sunday morning to the fire alarm sounding. Like most other people from the rooms, we went down and outside via the fire exits. However, the reception staff and people in the restaurant remained inside despite the alarm still sounding! Another guest told us that there was not actually a fire but the staff were waiting for the fire brigade to reset the alarm. We thought that a big hotel like that would have designated fire officers and that one of them should really have come out and informed us what was happening- very poor organisation and slightly worrying if there was actually a fire! When we checked out, the receptionist could not find the keys to the cupboard containing the guest safes, and then once she located that, she did not follow the correct procedure for signing out the items I was removing from the safe. It is a shame about those two issues as up until then we thought the hotel was pretty amazing! It was also very good value, partly because we were part of a wedding party so we got a reduced rate, and we got this same rate for all three nights that we stayed, which was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and kind words.
I apologize that the fire alarm was an inconvenience however I am glad to say that everything functioned properly and there was no real damage or danger. I will take your suggestions under advisement and educate my staff on how to handle those situations better in the future. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden in at Rockaway over Memorial Day weekend. I was with a wedding party and we had a blast!!

There were a lot of people in the hotel (I think there was a girl’s softball tournament there too) and when they started to get loud the manager was right there. I was at the pool and they were jumping in and wrestling and within a minute, the General Manager was in the pool area and spoke to the children and parents. I was extremely impressed by his quick action.

The front desk staff took really good care of our group. They were so friendly and accommodating we felt like royalty.

My room… was great. We had a really large room with a king bed and sofa. It was very clean and smelled fresh. The bed, although not a fan of sleep number, was finally comfortable after making several adjustments. I LOVE the shower. The water pressure was nice and I was able to take a nice hot shower. Not something that I have been able to do at other hotels.

Overall, I want to thank the manager and the staff at the hotel for making a fun weekend with friends even better…

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to recognize the staff at our hotel. Your kind words go a long way in keeping everyone motivated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Booked in January. Requested a non-smoking room. At check in there was some sort of problem with computerized system, but was given a room. I specifically asked at check in if the room was non-smoking-was told "yes". Arriving in room, saw 3 ashtrays and matches-hello!!! Not non smoking! Eyes burning, can smell after effects of smoke lingering in room beneath the heavy, heavy deodorizing odor. Call to desk, was offered an ionizer or a move to a king room with pull out sofa. Said I would call right back with answer after speaking to hubby. Called back within 3 minutes, phone rang @ front desk for approx 3 minutes-was told no room(different employee), basically to take ionizer as there was nothing else and was told I asked if the room had 2 beds at check in, not if room was non-smoking. Did not ask about 2 beds, definitely asked about non smoking as I am VERY, VERY allergic. Also was told at this point that hotel was sold out and that even though I booked a non smoking room (in January!) basically it is first come first served. Told employee I would be checking out and wanted to speak to manager. Explained my issues to manager, (who apparently was the same person who offered the room switch 6 minutes earlier). She said she would investigate and get right back to me. And she did, within 2-3 minutes I had a Double Queen, non smoking room (exactly what I booked!).
I'm sorry I didn't get the name of the manager I spoke to, but she definitely understood the importance of good customer service.
Otherwise, rest of stay was good. Room clean, beds are sleep number, but we couldn't figure out how to operate. Would be nice if they included an instruction sheet for the beds. No matter what we did, one side was too firm, other side was too soft. Had breakfast in the morning, which was included in our rate. Was adequate, usual offerings found in other chains as free/included offerings without any extra charge. Eggs, sausage, waffles, pancakes, fruit, yogurt, breads/cereals. Only extra was an omlette bar, but the line was too long and we didn't take advantage of it.
Didn't use pool or gym.

Overall, a decent stay after the room issue was straightened out.

Room Tip: If requesting a non smoking room, verify ahead of time that indeed one has been reserved for you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Ben Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I am happy to hear the manager handling your situation was able to rectify the problem and was able to accommodate your needs. Our goal is to satisfy our guest we look forward to your next visit to Rockaway .

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Ive been staying here on and off for years. Not visited for a few years but was here last week and pleased to see nothing has changed. Still a great breakfast with eggs cooked while I wait. Waffle maker is great and taste great with fresh fruit. Rooms are a good size with comfy beds. Nice touches like free cookies and soft drinks. What this hotel needs is a proper bar area. They try with a portable one but a proper social area to relax in would be great.
Location is great as the mall is just over the road and there is also a cinema close.
I will be back and choose this hotel as my "home from home".

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Ben Z, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockaway
Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway
Hampton Inn Denville / Rockaway / Parsippany
Towneplace Suites by Marriott Dover Rockaway
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Arlington-Rockaway Area
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
#1 of 2 in Mount Arlington
Hampton Inn & Suites Parsippany/North

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway? Share your experiences!