“Good drinks but limited menu”
Review of The Dog & Cask

The Dog & Cask
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dog & Cask is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Description: ABOUT THE DOG & CASK Welcome to the The Dog & Cask, the newest addition to the Bergen County culinary scene! We welcome all who look for good hospitality, great food, and solid drinks. The Dog & Cask is a place for all occasions. With its reclaimed wood interior and inviting fireplace, the Dog & Cask is a place without pretense. At The Dog & Cask we believe in true locally sourced foods, and well-crafted drinks. Our approachable seasonal cuisine is presented in an array of small plates, house-made charcuterie boards and main dishes. Our innovative bar program offers vintage and modern cocktails crafted with small batch spirits, craft beer, boutique wines from low volume family owned vineyards, cask wine and barrel aged cocktails. The large bar is perfect for catching a drink after work or watching a game on our 8 TV's. We offer a wide selection of seating options, from cozy lounge chairs to a communal table and we can accommodate groups of many different sizes. Our "Red Room" with is available for parties of up to 50 people. We hope to see you soon!
Midland Park, New Jersey
“Good drinks but limited menu”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I had high expectations based on initial reviews of this place. The atmosphere was different- it was very dark and almost too upscale for a craft beer place. One side of the restaurant seemed a little lighter and more relaxed with a fire place while the other side was more restaurant. And then a giant bar in the middle.

The beer and drink menu are wonderful and the prices very reasonable. The food menu was very limited - if you're not adventurous it's not for you. I had the grilled octopus which was great, as well as french fries which were really good. Others at the table had the burger. They said it was very good, but I was turned off because it's a pressed burger and you can't get it rare.

I thought portions were reasonably sized, but a prices were a bit high.

Overall I would recommend to go for drinks before or after dinner.

• Visited February 2014
Maria C, Owner at The Dog & Cask, responded to this review, May 29, 2015
Jewel, thanks for leaving this! I'm sorry for such a delayed reply, but I'm just becoming active on here. It's a bummer to see you didn't have an amazing time during your last visit, but we've changed things up quite a bit since then, and I'd love to have you back in. Hope to see you soon.

Cheers,
Maria C, General Manager

“Great beer/wine list....just eat before you go!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

First I will start with the good:
Pros: Our server was extremely friendly and knowledgable. She also had no problem when our party of 4 turned into a party of 8. She happily found us a larger table, and took great care of us.
The drink menu is expansive, there is something for everyone. I really liked the cask Riesling and loved that they had Docs cider on tap.
This place is beautiful. This is not a dive bar filled with newly minted 21 year olds. It is a place for adults to go have a few drinks!

Cons: I could not get past the food menu. I have an adventurous palate, but this menu is a bit over the top. We did get some of the small plates, the creamy mozzarella triangles were great, and while I liked the gnocchi, the egg on top really was not for me. I also thought it was a bit odd that the Gouda we ordered arrived in a chunk with no cheese knife, and it was impossible to cut with the knives at the table without the cheese flying everywhere.
Charging $22 for a bottle of three philosophers is highway robbery. The same size bottle of beer is $10 at whole foods. However, the beer on tap is reasonably priced.

I would happily return for drinks, however, I would defiantly eat before going, especially if you are looking for typically pub/bar food, this is not the place for you!

Saddle Brook, New Jersey
“Missed the Mark”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

You hope that after a place tries to reinvent itself....that it will be a fresh new start to something great. Well it didn't happen. The food isn't bad, its ok. The service was average. One thing to point out here, because I went to this place twice, is that the place is trying to model itself around the "Craft" beer specialty restaurant. My first server new the brew menu, but the second had no clue. And you really need to be on top of your menu if your going to be in this business. My guess is that you'll see a new name on the sign in about a year or two.

New York City, New York
“Don't come here if you're hungry (maybe just for a first date).”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I can't say that I was impressed, however I did find it to be an ideal place for a first date. There wasn't much of an atmosphere here as it was very quiet, therefore you would be able to carry on a conversation with your date, just don't expect to have a "good time" and meet "fun" people at this place. The food is different as the menu reflects an unusual assortment, but definitely don't come here if you're hungry as there isn't enough to eat that would satisfy you. As mentioned before this is a great first date location, quiet enough to talk, not enough really to eat, however you can get a quick drink and enjoy some conversation; if it's a good match you can go somewhere else for dessert and carry on the date or if it's a bad match, you can say thank you and head out as this place doesn't offer much to extend your evening.

Maria C, Owner at The Dog & Cask, responded to this review, May 29, 2015
I'm so disappointed to see this review from last year! However, I just wanted to let you know that we actually went under a complete makeover, and we'd love to welcome you back in. I have a feeling you'd leave a little happier and more impressed this time. Hope to see you soon.

Cheers,
Maria C, General Manager
Hillsdale, New Jersey
“Not impressed overall”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were fans of the previous restaurant, Bistro 55. I liked the renovations - they seemed to have made an effort to deaden the noise. They now have the ability to close off both ends to make them quieter, or for private parties. The beer selection at the bar was great. Bartender was very good. We were seated in the raised area on the north end of the building. This used to have one large table for groups, now there are four tables that can seat two comfortably or three somewhat crowded. Our service was good - no long waits for anything. We split a half portion of the pastrami style short rib for an appetizer. I would highly recommend this as either appetizer or entrée. We ordered burgers for dinner. They only come cooked one way, but as someone who likes medium rare, they are juicy enough at the medium well you get them. My husband's was prefect. I had ordered Cheddar Cheese and unfortunately it came with Blue Cheese. My mistake was in not noticing that the cheese was wrong - not paying close attention and dim lights. I did ask the waitress when she came back to check if she had ordered incorrectly or the cook had make the mistake. I had already eaten about 1/3 of it, so didn't send it back for correction. Major plus was Manager came over and said that she would comp it, so I was okay with the mistake at that point. However, when our check came, no comp. So when waitress came back told her and she did apologize that Manager had not told her and went and took it off. However, this was a big minus. This is a bit of a trip for us during Friday night rush hour, so not sure how fast we'll be coming back.