“Good food poor management attitude”
Review of Bistro 55 - CLOSED

Bistro 55
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Grove Avenue
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Good food poor management attitude”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I visited this restaurant in December as the guest of a friend. We filled out forms for a raffle which obviously gave the restaurant our email addresses. I was pleasantly surprised during my birthday month to receive an email for a free dinner.

I took my son to dinner to utilize the coupon - valued at $20. We had a very enjoyable dinner and the food was great. Wednesday night had $4 beer specials. My son requested two but both rang up as $12/each. The waitress was very confused by my restaurant coupon and did not apply it to the bill. When I sent the bill back she replied that I had to allow the bill to run up at the higher amount and then she would deduct the $20. I responded that I would then be paying the sales tax on the higher balance and she sent the manager over. When I questioned this method to the manager he replied "What do you want? We didn't have to give this to you"

If you can't show appreciation to a customer graciously then I suggest that you don't make the gesture at all.

• Visited April 2013
maria c, General Manager at Bistro 55, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Hi Pamela
I'm very sorry about your experience last Wednesday.
I was not aware of this incident and I will investigate it.
Feel free to call me or email me to discuss further.

Kind Regards
Maria Constenla

New Jersey
“Unremarkable”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We've been wanting to try this place as we've passed it may times on Rte. 17. It was overpriced, the food unremarkable, and the service slow. Seems a big draw is the craft brews but when my husband ordered one not only was it pretty pricey, it came in a rather small glass. Not worth it in my opinion - so many other great restaurants nearby.

• Visited March 2013
Glen Rock, New Jersey
“Friendly Service, Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have been here with friends a few times before, and again were pleased with our experience! One side of the restaurant is mostly booths, where we always choose to sit, and the other side is mostly tables, in the middle is the bar and some long communal or large group bar tables. Our mixed drinks were good but inconsistent....my first Cosmo was excellent, but the second one too sweet. The service was very friendly but a little on the slow side. We had good Filet Mignons, pork chop also quite good, excellent salads, and decent crab cake. Nice big, comfortable booth for 4.
They need to rebuild the crumbling front entrance stairs. Overall a fun, enjoyable place with good food!!

• Visited April 2013
Paramus, New Jersey
“Great Dinner, Fantastic Craft Beer List”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is the second great experience we have had at Bistro 55. The entire staff is friendly and efficient. We had a great date night by starting with the Guinness Stout Glazed Chicken Lolly Pops for an appetizer. They were presented beautifully and tasty. My husband had the filet and I had the beef wellington. They were a cooked to perfection. This place is truly a treasure. My only complaint is the noise level on the weekends when the resturant is full. Make your reservation for around 7pm instead of 8pm on the weekends.

• Visited January 2013
New Jersey
“Great with the kids or as a date night”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Have been to Bistro 55 at least three times this past year and each time has been wonderful. I have gone out on a date night with my husband and also went alone with my two kids. Every time there is something on the seasonal menu to please everyone. A martini for me, beer flights for my husband and soft drinks or virgin cocktails for the kids are available. If all else fails and your little one won't try the steak frites, they do have the standard chicken fingers & fries (great fries too by the way).

You can't go wrong with a seasonal menu. The items are always fresh and beautifully presented. My orders have always been cooked to perfectly and come out piping hot. In the land of chain restaurants, it's nice to give Cheesecake Factory and Houlihans the night off and enjoy some fresh, delicious food from a locally owned restaurant. I hope the chains don't ever push this gem out of business! Now, go, enjoy!

• Visited January 2013