“Top of the Line”
Review of Cafe Madison

Cafe Madison
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Madison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Madison Street & S. Pavilion Avenue
Transit: Riverline runs in front of Cafe Madison.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Although in all honesty, Riverside isn't the prettiest of the river towns in NJ, Cafe Madison built a delectable site there and continues to impress us every visit. The atmosphere is so impressive, tall ceilings, water murals, lighted menus...and the wait staff was great. Our waiter, Nathan was more than on the ball and our food was delicious and to order. We always make this a dining choice for special occasions!

There are newer reviews for Cafe Madison

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I went out with friends to celebrate their very special anniversary. They moved away from Delran about 15 years ago and were very surprised at how classy a restaurant as the Café Madison can be found in Riverside. The décor is well done and very pleasing to the eye with fireplaces, waterfalls, etc. The tables are large and we loved the lighted menus. We had reservations and were seated promptly. I was surprised that they now have a Prix Fixe Menu, which three of the four of us took advantage of. Our server, Debbie, was extremely attentive and funny and she couldn't have been more helpful.

The Prix Fixe menu offered four different courses for $35. You had a choice of an appetizer, an entrée and a dessert, plus all Prix Fixe dinners came with a salad. My husband chose to order off the ala carte menu. We all opted for different appetizers, and they were all delicious--from the Nantucket Lobster Bisque to the Shrimp Rosotto. The salad was a nice combination of field greens, cran raisins, candied walnuts and champagne vinaigrette. Three of us ordered the 6 oz. Filet Mignon with boursin mashed potatoes, field mushrooms, and green beans. I was worried that maybe the 6 oz. filet might be not enough to eat, but it was plenty. My husband had the 18 oz. Prime Porterhouse, which was divinely cooked and served with potatoes and asparagus. Then for dessert, three of us had the Butterscotch and White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted-Caramel ice cream while the 4th had the Peanut Butter Bombe. Both were outstanding.

So, what made this wonderful dinner not quite perfect? The noise level! When we first arrived, it wasn't that crowded and we enjoyed listening to the piano player catching up with our friends. But as the restaurant filled up with customers, the noise level got louder. This is a very large room with high ceilings, which doesn't help. A group of women (maybe a bachelorette party?) sat near the bar and sang along with the piano player--very loudly. Then a party of 8 sat right next to us and two women were actually screaming to others at their table. Our little foursome couldn't even hear ourselves talk. Instead of sticking around and enjoying an after dinner drink, we ended up leaving as it was worthless to try and communicate over the noise. How sad...

I'm not sure what the answer to the noise is, but if we do return to the Café Madison, maybe we'll try an earlier seating when it's not as crowded.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We love this place. The food and service are always top notch and they usually some kind of entertainment. I would highly recommend the Madison any night of the week.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband & I went there on Wednesday to celebrate my birthday and were totally disappointed. Our waitress was also bartending, so although she tried, we had to wait for service. Our food was so bland. We were both very disappointed as we had heard it was a great place. We're not in any hurry to go back.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Visited Cafe Madison on a date with my boyfriend. The restaurant is tastefully decorated, although open plan it feels quite intimate and is well suited to (grown up) family dinners and date nights. They have a good selection of wines by the glass, which is nice because I always like to try a couple. We had a prosecco and a couple of cabernets (Geyser Peak and Raymond Reserve) all of which were good.

To start we had the tuna tatare and yellow fin, asian spice calimari (because the waiter suggested it) and the lobster bisque. The tuna was excellent, however the calimari was a bit disappointing, it came with an oversweet chilli sauce was very generic. The bisque was super rich and very tasty, although we would have preferred some pieces of lobster in it.

To follow we had the apple wood delmonico steak and the rack of lamb, both meats were very tender and tasty. I was advised to have the steak cooked medium, I always have it rare but I thought maybe the staff know something I dont. Unfortunately that was a mistake I think it would've been much better rare, but I suppose thats just my preference. The steak came with a 'lobster' mac and cheese, which again I felt should have contained considerably more lobster considering the price.

For dessert we shared a chocolate mousse cake, which was pretty good but nothing spectacular and the promised fruit compote was missing.

The service was fairly good and attentive, but I have to mark them down on two points. The recommendations that the staff made seemed a bit random and definately didn't enhance our experience. We were the last people in the restaurant, however it was almost an hour before official closing time. They started clearing up around us, which I can deal with, but then they gave us our bill while we were still eating dessert. It made us feel pretty rushed and unwelcome.

Overall a solid four star establishment, I think it could be a 4.5 if only they were a bit more liberal with the lobster and added some creative flare to the more generic dishes.

1  Thank funeral_fairy