“Don't stay here unless you have no other place to go” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Motel

Country Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Traverse City, Michigan
“Don't stay here unless you have no other place to go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here on a recent business trip to Wildwood. Me and another guy stayed in a 2 room with 3 beds. There were 2 wash cloths and 2 towels for a room for up to 5 people. The toilet was situated in such a way that you had to use it at an angle so you didn't hit the sink with your chin. The room smelled funky. There were 2 tv's. 1 in the room when you entered and one in the 2nd room I stayed in. My tv had no remote, was not plugged in and the cable was not even plugged in. No internet access whatsoever. We stayed 2 nights. The housekeeper (or whatever you call what they did) did nothing except put the comforter half way made up. My friend had not sheet on his bed. (from the beginning). Most of the furniture looked as though it was bought from a second hand store or garage sale. Very tacky. Another guy with us had his own room and did not even have a wash cloth.

Room Tip: My tip would be notice all of the 10 foot pole marks on the building and avoid it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Rich M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

after reading the reviews i must say there are no roaches. nice clean beds. bathroom spotless, pool beautiful!!! real nice people, excellant internet!!!!! cheap!!!!!! 4 miles from beach nothing wrong with this budget motel at all. furniture older,but so what clean and comfortable!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank jawsdogj
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Booked last minute thought I got a good deal. Traveling with 2 children and my wife. Place is a dump. If I were alone I could maybe pull off 1 night., but with 2 year olds being touchy touchy it was a major hazard. Baseball size holes in each corner of the back room with roaches coming in and out as they pleased. No screen in back room window. Light not working. Plumbing in bathroom was done by rookies. We really didn't inspect the location at first. We got our room and headed to the beach when we came back is when we really seen all the problems. I uploaded plenty of pics. If your with your girl and want a spot to drink, hang out and bang out. This place is reasonably priced. If you are with your kids and doing family get away. STAY AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Strictly_Vinyl

Travelers are raving about these Rio Grande hotels

Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

My parents and myself found this place last minute during a trip to Cape May. While the website picture shows what it truly looks like, I was unfamiliar with the area. I didn't realize how industrial of an area that it was. It's about 15 min from Cape May, 5 min to Wildwood, and 1 min from the highway. The noise from the street is very audible in the room throughout the night even though I'm usually a deep sleeper.

Perhaps this is a 3 star motel compared to Wildwood hotels, but this is 1 star compared to Cape May. I didn't feel all that safe when I went to check in...the check in desk is behind a bullet proof glass. The man who I talked to on the phone originally quoted me a price that was higher than the website but I did not argue it because we were desperate for a place. He did ask how old we all were to prevent <21 year olds from staying at his place.On the upside, the woman (his wife) who worked there was very nice.

The room felt dirty and unclean. There was a smell in the room...a mix of new paint (which is good) and smoke (which is bad). There was one thin white sheet under the comforter. The pillow was okay...the mattress looked clean when I looked under the sheet. The bathroom was decent.The one person couch had a cigarette burn mark. The desk chair was stained (looks like someone sprinkled baking powder on the chair). The back room had termite flies flying behind the curtain on the window. There was no phone in the room (even though they advertise wake up call service). There are frills to the room - no tissue paper, 1 small bar of soap, 2 plastic cups - one which was broken, 2 sets of towels...that was it.

I think it depends on what you want, but I would not stay there again. For the money, I didn't think it was a good value. I think for last minute stays, I would have been better looking at the south end of Wildwood for similarly priced options.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BFrog89
philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We are a hardworking family who travel to the jersey shore often. We almost always plan in advance and never have complaints about where we stay. In fact, we are very laid back and rarely complain about anything at all. Which is why this review should be taken seriously. That said, we have much to say about the Country Motel. I am adding humor to this review only because one has to laugh at how anyone human being could own or manage a place such as this and take money without feeling guilty.
We had made last minute travel arrangements so there was little to choose from in the area. When we got there, we were pleased at the exterior. It was clean, fresh and had lovely flower baskets hanging throughout. Tim the owner asked us to check out the room before we paid to make sure we were satisfied. We should have known why. We got a one bedroom "suite". It was a room with a bed, tv, a small refrigerator and bathroom. It was old, musty smelling, with holes in the walls. The bathroom was equally unappealing. My husband made a joke that it looked like the "rent by the hour" type of rooms used by prostitutes. However, since we had plans and weren't going to be in the room except to sleep, we accepted. BIG MISTAKE. Upon coming back after a nice dinner, we got into bed and saw that a roach was crawling close to the ceiling. It made its way into a hole above the room door. Even IT wanted out of the room. We spoke to TIm and "upgraded" and I use that term loosely, to a two bedroom.He charged us an additional 80 dollars plus tax, even though we had already paid tax for both nights when we first checked in.
We then called our daughter and told her and our grandson to come down and spend the rest of the weekend with us, but warned her the accommodations were far below standard. The two room was SLIGHTLY better only because the holes in the wall were actually plastered, though not painted. The window in the back bedroom was opened and it appeared as though the last family that stayed there escaped because the screen was completely ripped and blowing in the breeze. The furniture looked as if it was bought a Sheraton hotel fire sale. Two of the handles to the dressers were hanging off. The two fabric on the two chairs was ripped and worn, exposing the foam stuffing. We covered them in towels in order to sit and not be grossed out. This room also came with a microwave which should only have been used to sanitize the bedding. Thank goodness we brought our own sheets, pillows and blankets. We checked both beds for bedbugs because we were a bit tentative. There were none thank goodness, however we found an empty beer can, juice bottle, a dirty sock and a barrette under the bed. (None of which were ours) This is a testament to the lackluster cleaning standards at this motel. I cant blame the cleaning girl. It is utlitmately the owners responsibility to ensure the rooms are up to par. I asked him if he had wifi and told me it would be an additional $10.00. I told him we gave him more than enough money. He is clearly not a graduate of any hospitality program. When we got back from the boardwalk, my daughter entered the bathroom and was horrified to find a large family of ants having a party in the bathroom sink. My husband checked behind the sink and found another part of the large ant family hanging out. I actually wore my flip flops in the shower, again, another term I use loosely since I am quite certain I would prefer to shower in public with my garden hose. I refused to let my feet touch any part of the carpets for fear of getting foot fungus. On the plus side the pool was nice, though it said its hours were 12-8, yet at 12:30 my husband had to call Tim to come and unlock the gate to the pool. The lounge chairs at the pool need to be replaced. I sat in one and landed on the ground. The chair was so badly worn out that It broke. My husband and I checked other chairs, and found the only 3 that were not worn and used them. The morning we were leaving, I was in the backroom and the owners wife simply walked in without knocking and asked my 8 year old grandson who was watching tv if we were leaving soon because they had to clean. This was at 9am and checkout was not until 10. Why ask an young child?? When my husband approached the owner to tell him how unprofessional, rude and quite frankly, an invasion of privacy this was, he told him to talk to his wife since she doesn't listen to him anyway. The worst part of our experience was the price. We paid $396.00 total for 2 days at this motel. Needless to say, we will not be returning, EVER.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank buonocore
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

It is less expensive stay for wildwood area, and the motel is less than 8 mins away from the beach/boardwlk, however the room we stayed had holes in door and various walls. The bathroom door didn"t lock, drain stopper inabled to have a bath, only showers. The light outside the bathroom did not illuminate, thus unable to see in this darkened area that contained a minifridge, and full body mirror. Also the nonsmoking room was smoked in, though infatically denied by the owner, I was not fooled. The owner/staff overtly smiles, but makes watered down excuses instead of addressing the needs of their patrons. I felt unwelcome and a nussance to the owner/staff. Sorry, but am I not the customer. Where is the hospitality. Is this indicative of those who live in the area? I would stay here if in despiration. Also the pool hours for a heat index day of 104 F was kept at the usual 12pm to 8pm, these hours are unacceptable by any standards, especially under those conditions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank steelcity522
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

After reading mostly good reviews online my husband and I stayed here along with two friends. Those reviews have to be fake. When we entered the room we noticed that there were holes punched in the walls and the room was disgusting. There was a chair in the first room and we lifted the seat cushion up and found crumbs and a crumbled grocery bag. The bathroom was dirty including the toilet seat. The room was hot and the ac was turned off. The beds are very uncomfortable and hard as a rock. I'm actually surprised that there weren't any bed bugs. I brought all of the issues up to the owner of the motel. He made excuses as to why the room was dirty. He also said he has to "cut corners". He said he would refund our money but we were unable to find any hotels close by with rooms available with such short notice. We decided to have him clean the room and stay for our 2 night trip. On our last night there we noticed many people going in and out of one of the rooms. They were coming out and were really out of it. They were dealing drugs right out of the room. I brought this up to the manager and again he gave us excuses. I will never stay here and strongly advise anyone not to go here. It's a waste of money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Rio Grande
Blue Water Motel
Blue Water Motel
#36 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Country Motel? Share your experiences!