“Needs a lot of work”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Annapolis, Maryland
“Needs a lot of work”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My parents and myself found this place last minute during a trip to Cape May. While the website picture shows what it truly looks like, I was unfamiliar with the area. I didn't realize how industrial of an area that it was. It's about 15 min from Cape May, 5 min to Wildwood, and 1 min from the highway. The noise from the street is very audible in the room throughout the night even though I'm usually a deep sleeper.

Perhaps this is a 3 star motel compared to Wildwood hotels, but this is 1 star compared to Cape May. I didn't feel all that safe when I went to check in...the check in desk is behind a bullet proof glass. The man who I talked to on the phone originally quoted me a price that was higher than the website but I did not argue it because we were desperate for a place. He did ask how old we all were to prevent <21 year olds from staying at his place.On the upside, the woman (his wife) who worked there was very nice.

The room felt dirty and unclean. There was a smell in the room...a mix of new paint (which is good) and smoke (which is bad). There was one thin white sheet under the comforter. The pillow was okay...the mattress looked clean when I looked under the sheet. The bathroom was decent.The one person couch had a cigarette burn mark. The desk chair was stained (looks like someone sprinkled baking powder on the chair). The back room had termite flies flying behind the curtain on the window. There was no phone in the room (even though they advertise wake up call service). There are frills to the room - no tissue paper, 1 small bar of soap, 2 plastic cups - one which was broken, 2 sets of towels...that was it.

I think it depends on what you want, but I would not stay there again. For the money, I didn't think it was a good value. I think for last minute stays, I would have been better looking at the south end of Wildwood for similarly priced options.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BFrog89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
philadelphia
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We are a hardworking family who travel to the jersey shore often. We almost always plan in advance and never have complaints about where we stay. In fact, we are very laid back and rarely complain about anything at all. Which is why this review should be taken seriously. That said, we have much to say about the Country Motel. I am adding humor to this review only because one has to laugh at how anyone human being could own or manage a place such as this and take money without feeling guilty.
We had made last minute travel arrangements so there was little to choose from in the area. When we got there, we were pleased at the exterior. It was clean, fresh and had lovely flower baskets hanging throughout. Tim the owner asked us to check out the room before we paid to make sure we were satisfied. We should have known why. We got a one bedroom "suite". It was a room with a bed, tv, a small refrigerator and bathroom. It was old, musty smelling, with holes in the walls. The bathroom was equally unappealing. My husband made a joke that it looked like the "rent by the hour" type of rooms used by prostitutes. However, since we had plans and weren't going to be in the room except to sleep, we accepted. BIG MISTAKE. Upon coming back after a nice dinner, we got into bed and saw that a roach was crawling close to the ceiling. It made its way into a hole above the room door. Even IT wanted out of the room. We spoke to TIm and "upgraded" and I use that term loosely, to a two bedroom.He charged us an additional 80 dollars plus tax, even though we had already paid tax for both nights when we first checked in.
We then called our daughter and told her and our grandson to come down and spend the rest of the weekend with us, but warned her the accommodations were far below standard. The two room was SLIGHTLY better only because the holes in the wall were actually plastered, though not painted. The window in the back bedroom was opened and it appeared as though the last family that stayed there escaped because the screen was completely ripped and blowing in the breeze. The furniture looked as if it was bought a Sheraton hotel fire sale. Two of the handles to the dressers were hanging off. The two fabric on the two chairs was ripped and worn, exposing the foam stuffing. We covered them in towels in order to sit and not be grossed out. This room also came with a microwave which should only have been used to sanitize the bedding. Thank goodness we brought our own sheets, pillows and blankets. We checked both beds for bedbugs because we were a bit tentative. There were none thank goodness, however we found an empty beer can, juice bottle, a dirty sock and a barrette under the bed. (None of which were ours) This is a testament to the lackluster cleaning standards at this motel. I cant blame the cleaning girl. It is utlitmately the owners responsibility to ensure the rooms are up to par. I asked him if he had wifi and told me it would be an additional $10.00. I told him we gave him more than enough money. He is clearly not a graduate of any hospitality program. When we got back from the boardwalk, my daughter entered the bathroom and was horrified to find a large family of ants having a party in the bathroom sink. My husband checked behind the sink and found another part of the large ant family hanging out. I actually wore my flip flops in the shower, again, another term I use loosely since I am quite certain I would prefer to shower in public with my garden hose. I refused to let my feet touch any part of the carpets for fear of getting foot fungus. On the plus side the pool was nice, though it said its hours were 12-8, yet at 12:30 my husband had to call Tim to come and unlock the gate to the pool. The lounge chairs at the pool need to be replaced. I sat in one and landed on the ground. The chair was so badly worn out that It broke. My husband and I checked other chairs, and found the only 3 that were not worn and used them. The morning we were leaving, I was in the backroom and the owners wife simply walked in without knocking and asked my 8 year old grandson who was watching tv if we were leaving soon because they had to clean. This was at 9am and checkout was not until 10. Why ask an young child?? When my husband approached the owner to tell him how unprofessional, rude and quite frankly, an invasion of privacy this was, he told him to talk to his wife since she doesn't listen to him anyway. The worst part of our experience was the price. We paid $396.00 total for 2 days at this motel. Needless to say, we will not be returning, EVER.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank buonocore

Travelers are raving about these Rio Grande hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 26, 2011

It is less expensive stay for wildwood area, and the motel is less than 8 mins away from the beach/boardwlk, however the room we stayed had holes in door and various walls. The bathroom door didn"t lock, drain stopper inabled to have a bath, only showers. The light outside the bathroom did not illuminate, thus unable to see in this darkened area that contained a minifridge, and full body mirror. Also the nonsmoking room was smoked in, though infatically denied by the owner, I was not fooled. The owner/staff overtly smiles, but makes watered down excuses instead of addressing the needs of their patrons. I felt unwelcome and a nussance to the owner/staff. Sorry, but am I not the customer. Where is the hospitality. Is this indicative of those who live in the area? I would stay here if in despiration. Also the pool hours for a heat index day of 104 F was kept at the usual 12pm to 8pm, these hours are unacceptable by any standards, especially under those conditions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank steelcity522
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2011

After reading mostly good reviews online my husband and I stayed here along with two friends. Those reviews have to be fake. When we entered the room we noticed that there were holes punched in the walls and the room was disgusting. There was a chair in the first room and we lifted the seat cushion up and found crumbs and a crumbled grocery bag. The bathroom was dirty including the toilet seat. The room was hot and the ac was turned off. The beds are very uncomfortable and hard as a rock. I'm actually surprised that there weren't any bed bugs. I brought all of the issues up to the owner of the motel. He made excuses as to why the room was dirty. He also said he has to "cut corners". He said he would refund our money but we were unable to find any hotels close by with rooms available with such short notice. We decided to have him clean the room and stay for our 2 night trip. On our last night there we noticed many people going in and out of one of the rooms. They were coming out and were really out of it. They were dealing drugs right out of the room. I brought this up to the manager and again he gave us excuses. I will never stay here and strongly advise anyone not to go here. It's a waste of money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank BSolomon428
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 8, 2009

This was my second time staying here, and to me it is not a bad motel. I stayed there 2 years ago for Labor day weekend, and the same weekend this year. My favorite thing is that everything you need is right there. You have ShopRite, JCPenny, Walmart, Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, Rio Grande Diner, etc. all in walking distance. The motel is clean and spacious. The pool area is also very clean. The first time I stayed it was me and my mom and we got the room that has two beds in it. This time we only got one bed, and there was still enough to where we weren't cramped up. This to me is only a place I would stay for a weekend, I wouldn't do a vaction there. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Reading, PA
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I called and inquired about the reviews they had received - I was assured that all was well.

When I arrived, I was greated plesantly, and showed my room personally - The place was clean, roomy, and had lots for the price.

I will refer people here - I have even booked the place again for the end of August, 2009

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
South Jersey
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My friends and I had been planning to have a nice evening in Cape May - visit Washington Street Mall, visit Sunset Beach and watch the flag raising, have dinner, and retire to our hotel room. Since we wanted a relatively cheap hotel room, we booked our stay at the Country Motel. We walked into our room and were greeted by odd odors coming from all over the place. We left, and enjoyed Cape May, but when we returned, there were people outside yelling at each other, apparently sounds of glass breaking, and other assorted noises. The part that really got us was at the hour of about 4 AM, when we heard banging outside on the door of the next door room, coupled with yelling and low booming noises.

I swore to myself when I awoke this morning at the Country Motel that I would never stay there or any other motel ever again. I'd rather pay an extra hundred dollars and enjoy my night, rather than lose hours of sleep worrying if somebody's going to break through the door and kill me.

DON'T GO HERE.

Seashore Campsites & RV Resort
Clarem Happy Days
Clarem Happy Days
#37 of 76 in Wildwood

Been to Motel 6 Rio Grande? Share your experiences!