“Lovely manor overall but one room stands out...”

The Castle at Skylands Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ringwood
New York City, New York
“Lovely manor overall but one room stands out...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

My BF and I stayed here for my birthday this year and overall had a great experience. We were originally booked in the knights suite, but the warning on this is that, If you have an aversion or very high sense of smell this room is not for you, only because its across from the kitchen, and while it has amazing features in the décor, and this awesome feeling that takes you back in time, and the size is great, that smell is just not comfortable to deal with, if stale oil is not your thing. We also walked around most of the interior of the hotel and there is definitely an odor which I know is associated with the place because it is actually an old manor, but maybe the carpets need to be cleaned better to deodorize the entire place. Just a thought.

Another thing happened which doesn't need to be mentioned as part of the review but how they took care of the problem was outstanding, because buisnesses don't need to do things like this, but they managed to upgrade us to the KINGS suite and that's where this trip really changed for us. It is one of the most beautiful rooms Ive ever stayed in, in my life, and I travel ALOT. Everything about this room was what you would expect or imagine staying in a castle or an old manor back in the day, opulence, elegance and just really what you would want to experience staying in a "castle"
The pitched ceiling was a highlight for me in the bedroom as well as the walk in closet room next to the bathroom, every part of this room really struck the right chord with me, and I love love loved it so much. I think if you have the money to spend a little more to get this room, its the right room to get...and I wanted to mention that the staff there, were friendly, and David the night manager really was so helpful, he even gave my BF muffins when he found out we were leaving at 430 am the next morning, you just don't see that kind of sincere niceness anymore especially at a place of lodging...thank you to the castle for a wonderful memorable experience. Oh and let me mention one more thing, the grounds are AMAZING and beautiful , wow, its somewhere you would definitely want to see a wedding at.

Room Tip: ask for the queens suite or Kings suite, those seem to be the best, if you don't mind sharing a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank musicaldva9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

My daughter had her wedding indoors. It was magical. The Gatsby-era structure amazed many of our guests.
My family and I stayed the day before the wedding and also the day after the wedding. My wife and I stayed in the King's room. Complimentary breakfast was very good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank pawisngtren
Hammonton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

The place is out of a fairy tale to good for words a must do. As for Dave the inn keeper none better. The grounds are well maintained along with the ponds that transform you from New Jersey to England instantly.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Carmen V
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I got a deal on Groupon for a 3 night stay. The Manor was very easy to find using a GPS. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Sharon who let us have an early check in (2 hours early). Sharon was also very helpful with giving us information about things to do around the area.

The room was clean and beautiful. The only complaint I have is there were no wash cloths in the bathroom.

David, the night innkeeper, was so sweet and very accommodating. I know other reviews talk about him not being at the front desk, but there is a number to reach him and he does answer it!

The biggest complaint I have is that the breakfast was not that great. All the breads and pastries were stale. Although, the fresh eggs and bacon was delicious.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room with a private bathroom!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank courtneye736
Scotch Plains, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with our room. It was the Gatsby Room. The decor was over-the-top. The rate included a delicious breakfast. The grounds were amazing, very walkable. We went to celebrate our anniversary and will probably go again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MarilynE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband but this trip through Groupon. After looking at the pictures and reading the reviews I was a little leery but once we arrived that changed. We stayed in a Gatsby room so we would have our own bathroom. The room is gorgeous, clean and nicely decorated. There's air-conditioning and a small flatscreen television. We walked the grounds and it was absolutely breathtaking. The grounds alone make it worth the money. Bring your camera.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Cjm326
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I have travelled all our the world and we have never encountered this level of excellent service and superb staff anywhere in the world at any 4 or 5 star hotel. The place and the staff are magical. Dawn and David both went out of their way to make our staff memorable. This was our first stay but it definitely won't be our last. The castle is so romantic and fascinating and hearing some of the history from David on Sunday morning was the icing on the cake. With 23 bedrooms and 100 beautifully manicured acres it is a true paradis.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Halifax75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wantage
BEST WESTERN Regency House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Regency House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pompton Plains

Been to The Castle at Skylands Manor? Share your experiences!