“Sykland Manor--lovely and unique”

The Castle at Skylands Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ringwood
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our children gave us the gift of a three day stay at The Castle at Skylands Manor in Ringwood, NJ and found the room with it's beautiful high ceilings and windows over looking turrets and grounds to be quite romantic. Although it couldn't have been colder outside, our room was surprisingly cozy and although the bathtub looked like a period piece(big and deep) our water was hot. We had a great time exploring the grounds and got a fabulous tour of the manor from the gentleman who checked us in. We went there for the ambiance and found it to be amazing. The continental breakfast was passable/mediocre but we weren't there for the food (there are plenty of local venues where you can eat and you can also order food from various restaurants). Don't expect the Marriott--you go here for the ambiance and the beauty.of the house and grounds. We had a great time here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight after a party that was held there. The rooms throughout were beautiful. The food was good but the drinks were below expectations. More specifically, the mixed drinks (gin and tonic and martini) were not very good. Overall we had a very nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you're looking to stay here because it's a B&B, forget it. If you're looking to stay here because it's a castle, forget it. This place is neither. The Castle at Skylands Manor is more of a wedding hall than anything.

My wife and I stayed there one night in December. She liked the place because it is old, and I liked it for that reason. Yes, the heat is sporadic. Yes, it takes FOREVER for the water to get hot. Understandable.

Ambiance, it does not have. There is no place to sit in the main area of the property --- no couches, no chairs (well, maybe one or two). There is no place to socialize with the other guests as you would do at a normal B&B. I don't know, I just didn't like it. It clearly was not what I expected.

Oh, yes, breakfast. It consisted of coffee (hot), water for tea (cold), scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon (I forgot which one) and pastries that clearly came out of a box.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shellhead
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We got a deal for two nights and couldn't be happier with the price. Before going I read the reviews and started getting concerned when I couldn't contact anyone for questions. When we got there, we were blown away. The castle was all decorated for the 25th Anniversary open house. It was stunning. When arriving, they put out champagne and cookies, but the first night the stove was broken, so they just gave us a bottle of wine for free. You are left to your own devices, but we liked that. If you need a staff, they are there all day and night and all you have to do is knock on the door. Our room was cold but beautiful (it did have it's own bathroom with a soaker tub). I am very paranoid about bed bugs and did a thorough check both nights (did not see anything). I love the wood work and the detail in the castle, it is absolutely gorgeous. The bed was very uncomfortable (on the second night, we took all the pillows to the floor and slept by the fake fire place). The breakfast that is included was good, my partner liked it more than i did. We walked around the place, and decided we will definetly be back in the Summer to see all of the flowers in bloom.

Cons:
The bed linens did not get changed from the first night to the second and we found a cork and pamphlet from the ppl before us. It is kinda dusty behind the bed.
The food they serve for room service is disgusting. Have a pizza delivered from Ringwood Pizza.

FYI- Go during Christmas time to see all of the decorations. It is soooo worth it. Some of the rooms downstairs do share a bathroom and honestly, we peeked in those rooms and I know I would have been dissapointed if we had to stay in one of those.

This is a different kind of experience, but one every one should experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hmhmec
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I booked it for an overnight getaway from NYC and it was a pleasure to go "back in time"! Even in November we enjoyed the Gardens and the surroundings. We really liked that we could explore freely the Castle sipping from the Complimentary Champagne that was offered after check- in. We were upgraded to the Queen's Suite - enormous and beautifully decorated - and it was a TRULY UPGRADED Bed&Breakfast experience. We are looking forward of going back next Summer.

Room Tip: Worth to upgrade to the Queen's Suite!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Architecture and history is great, but the entire place needs restoration. Things that break seemed to be rigged instead of actually fixed and there isn't enough care put into housekeeping to actually consider it really "clean". We stayed there twice and cannot say we had a lovely experience.

For the price paid, definitely not worth it!! Take a day trip and see the grounds because they are worth the visit, but other than that I wouldn't stay here again (unfortunately).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ShellMyBell
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had to change my date because the castle was overbooked but no biggie. The castle was lovely and my girlfriend LOVED it! We took a walk around the gardens and explored the castle. We stayed in the Gatsby room and it was huge with a king size bed! There was a portable AC already on when we arrived so it was nice and cool. We got up in time for the latter end of the free continental breakfast buffet and we sat outside on the terrace. All in all a great place to visit.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Henry C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
Grand Cascades Lodge
Courtyard Mahwah
#4 of 8 in Mahwah
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Best Western The Inn At Ramsey

Been to The Castle at Skylands Manor? Share your experiences!