“A Hidden Gem”

The Castle at Skylands Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ringwood
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was a bit apprehensive to go to this manor after reading the reviews for it but since it was a gift from my husband to go there for the weekend I decided to go and make the best of it my husband and I were prepared for the worse. I am so happy we went! the Manor was absolutely beautiful! our room was the Gatsby room which was decorated in black and white. the room was beautifully decorated and the room and bathroom were immaculate! Colin, the manager of the manor was wonderful and made sure that our stay was a good one. He offered suggestions on where to go during the day and great places to eat dinner. The grounds even in winter were beautiful! As for the breakfast it was wonderful. It is served in the massive dining room there are delicious eggs, sausage and bacon. There are also variety of baked goods I recommend the warm black cherry scones with white chocolate chips. There is fresh fruit, cereal and oatmeal. There are also a variety of bagels and breads to be toasted. The coffee was delicious and there was a nice variety of teas to choose from. In the middle of the afternoon they offer a variety of teas and warm cookies fresh out of the oven. This is such a beautiful place with such wonderful history, a gem!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lucille F

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I used our groupon to stay Friday-Sunday this past weekend. We stayed in the Queen Ann's Suite. The room was very large and spacious and decorated with a very historic feel. I was slightly disappointed that the real fireplace wasn't working and that they bought 2 fake fireplace units in each room which was used as a heating unit....the kind you get at Walgreens for $100. The Inn Keeper Colin was very cordial and lovely to talk to but that was basically the extent of the service. Our room was not dusted or cleaned when we arrived, only the bed was made. That is the extent of the room service and maid service you'll get when you stay here. We were only given fresh towels our second day but the room was not cleaned, nor the bed made. The girl at the front desk told us we could separately request to have our bed made. Breakfast was average, nothing special. On Sunday, during daylight savings, the one clock in the suite did not change so we thought it was an hour earlier than it actually was. We made it just in time for breakfast but was told immediately by one of the girls working for the catering hall that at 10am, breakfast was over. It seemed like many people didn't realize it was daylight savings and missed breakfast. In total there was probably 4-5 staff working at the hotel. There is no room service. The front desk will hand you a brochure for Ringwood pizza that delivers to the manor. Other than that, plan to find places to eat outside the manor. The grounds are lovely and great for hiking but if it wasn't for the groupon, I wouldn't come back to stay again for the regular rate and the lack there of service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CQ719
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Have been enjoying the gardens for years only to find out it is now a bed & breakfast. We stayed on room 209. The helps side of the Manor, when they had butlers and maids and such. We loved our stay. Who knew you could stay in a European style castle here in the US, and so close to Manhattan.
We spoke with the employees and as it is a Historic building things are being restored to bring it back to it's fullest grader. But some things are slow to get done as it must go through proper steps. Our windows had notes on them to not open them. I should have asked if I could but didn't, so I dod not open them. It would have been lovely to have them open. The heat is great in this grand Estate. The Decor is fantastic as are the employees who let us explore to our hearts content. We felt like we were in some great uncles castle.
The history behind the estate is intriguing. There is a menu for room service. We had a shared bathroom which was fine if your used to traveling in Europe. Breakfast was good. There were hot selections as well as pastries. The ambiance was astounding. We would definitely stay again.
Oh and we were informed that there were secret passages in the manor.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a bathroom attached.
1  Thank michelle c
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We got a special price through Groupon. We had stayed there for our wedding night a couple of years ago and everything was perfect. This time around there were a few disappointments. The room itself was perfect with the exception of there not being any hand towels or washcloths. When we inquired about them, all we got was a washcloth and some extra bath amenities (shampoo, conditioner, lotion). They serve a continental breakfast except with freshly scrambled eggs, sausage & bacon. This was good . . . . the eggs on the moist side, which is how I like it. The pastries were dry and flavorless and the "apple" turnover had hardly any apple in it. On the positive side, there was champagne & fresh-baked cookies in the evening. Our room had a gas fireplace which was really nice on a very cold night.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Gatsby room (#201) this time. The room was large, 2 large closets and a large bathroo...
1  Thank dianedowd
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Its a Big Old Manor, that has a lot of different rooms, that you can wander about in, but thats about it. Perhaps in the spring or summer, when the gardens are in bloom, it may be more lively. They have no working fireplaces, so the Lodge feel is out.
We went in the January, and not much happening. The Manor is an Old Castle like place. the Gatsby rooms are a nice size, nicely decorated (210 was black & white and bright, so we moved to 201, a lil' smaller but more wood, cozy, castle like, also at the end of the hall) The windows in the rooms don't have any shades or blinds, so at night your bed is in a spotlight, and the morning sun shines in.
There is no Bar or Restaurant or Food of any kind in the Manor. They serve a small buffet breakfast, nothing special.(eggs, bacon, sausage, muffins). You have to drive a few miles o get something to eat or drink

Room Tip: 201 was at the end of the hall, not as big as others, but had a nice feel. There is a step down to t...
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed over tonight...We loved it ! It is such a beautiful place full of history, unique character.. If you love old houses and dont mind service this is place for you to explore! We walked all around, inside -outside even in the winter time its gorgeous! We were pleased with a fireplace in our room. Room was clean and cozy. The only thing you have to bring your beverages and some food)) Breakfast was ok but ..nothing special. looking forward coming back there in spring or summer time!

Room Tip: we stayed in the room 307 its large with privat bathroom on the 3rd floor.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

After searching for a venue for our wedding we went right back to Skylands Manor. I grew up living 10 mins from the castle and visit it often. After booking our wedding for April 2013 I got my parents a room for a night to explore the grounds and have a little get away. I myself and my fiance stayed at the castle last march to do the same as my parents. Every time I explore this castle I find new little details about it it would take a life time to really explore the entire grounds and soak up all the history it has to offer and the fact you can stay at the castle and have a wedding here is kinda un heard of to be honest. The staff is very friendly Linda is super nice and helpful as im heading into a few months away from the big day. Casey the care taker has a heart of gold. Im really upset about what people have been posting on here I think its a horable thing you are saying its dirty and the staff is horriable. My room was Clean as for the other rooms they looked very clean to me we explored them as well. Yes I did get breakfast. Maybe the castle just isnt for certain people because if your looking for things to complain about then you should go to a everyday hotel your supposed to be honoring the remarkable history skylands manor has to offer.

see ya in april

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Katherine P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
Grand Cascades Lodge
Courtyard Mahwah
Courtyard Mahwah
#4 of 8 in Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah

Been to The Castle at Skylands Manor? Share your experiences!