“fawlty towers meets king henry's college dorm”

The Castle at Skylands Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ringwood
warren nj
“fawlty towers meets king henry's college dorm”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The business here seems to be 98% weddings, and they do overnight accommodations as an afterthought--with little thought.

upon our arrival they were setting up for a wedding, and one of the staff said, oh, here's your key, told us our room number, and then walked away. when i asked her if there was a second key, she said there is, but they keep that downstairs and i could ask for it if i needed it. keys are unusually important at this place--more on that later.

we found our way to our room, which was overlooking the loading dock for the banquet hall, and also not far from where the valet parking guys clustered for a smoke. the valet parking staff were loud and raucous. this should have been a warning sign.

on our way out, we stopped at the desk to inquire about a few things: one of the coffee mugs in our room was dirty, the tv remote did not work, and were there no window coverings for the large window opening in our room? the woman at the desk said she would check into it, though she seemed completely unfamiliar with the idea of covering a window. Recall the valet parking staff and the loading dock, and you will easily imagine why a window covering would be desirable--not to mention that the window is eighteen inches from the bed, and just right for a sunrise wakeup call.

When we came back later we found that the only question that had been addressed was that an additional mug had been placed in our room. No one was manning the hotel desk. The tv remote did not work, there was nothing addressing privacy or light control; there were many empty rooms at the hotel this night, and no one even answered our concerns, much less offer to move us to a more comfortable room.

The wedding was in a banquet hall almost directly below our room. It was of course very loud and disturbing, and the guests disruptive, running up and down the halls and slamming the room and bathroom doors. The doors are steel, they slam loudly, and they also have a window in the room doors--frosted glass, but nonetheless the doors shine the hall light into the rooms all night long. When we heard the band announce it was midnight and that they were saying good night, we hoped things would quiet down.

No such luck. That became time for the loading dock personnel to move out equipment from the wedding into trucks. This went on until 1:30 a.m. The guys working on the loading dock were yelling at each other the whole time. Not even just related to their work, they were just chatting and yelling like they were having a good time and completely unaware that they were adjacent to the hotel rooms of paying guests.

Why didn't we call the front desk? There are no phones in the rooms. And there is no one to call. We tried calling the property number, but there is no answer. No one is taking care of the place! The hotel guests who were staying on our floor were very drunk and rude (they tried our room doorknob a few times, and insisted on shouting from one room to the other at 2 a.m.; there was no hotel staff to help.)

About the bathrooms: you could not imagine what they allude to on their website. The rooms are in a added-on wing to the main house. Each floor has rooms, and they all share a men's and a women's bathroom. In that bathroom are multiple toilets and bathtubs/showers. The bathroom doors are locked, and for access you need your room key (recall that we only got one). There are also inadequate window coverings on the bathroom windows (this is in the country, but there is a lot of foot traffic around this place, so that's a little creepy…)

They had only left us one bath towel in our room, and the closet contained storage parephenalia, like fans and extra parts, that made it look very shoddy--and a rolled up blanket that had not been cleaned.

When my husband came in from running in the morning he stopped by the front office for that second key. The key cabinet was open and unattended, and there were many room keys. But not one for ours. Probably there never was one, but it was still a very unsettling feeling--especially with those doorknob attempts that had been made the night before.

The breakfast was actually better than strictly continental, having some scrambled eggs and sausages in chafing dishes. Service was spotty, however, in that the food disappeared very quickly and was slow to be replenished. The guys running breakfast were trying, but seemed understaffed.

When we checked out, the clueless staff person made not one conciliatory gesture or comment, and never asked if the room had been fixed as we had asked her the night before. She seemed to have no hospitality training or even common sense.

This is a very attractive looking property, but unless you see a sign that says under new management, I would not recommend staying there. If you feel you must, bring some duct tape and something to cover the windows, some good ear plugs, and some stout walking shoes--the parking lot is a good distance away from the building.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here during a wedding, insist on the main building, but the room prices there ar...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank elevenses11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I am writing from my room in the castle as we speak and the place is amazing. It has a very historic, rustic, gothic feel to it and I love it... They go all out with original artwork, antique furniture, etc and you feel like a millionaire even if only for one night... The area around the castle is also very beautiful with a lot of gardens and trails.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a private bathroom, it may cost a little less, but I think some of the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Hotel Website-mis-leading! Does not reflect the true conditions of this hotel

The place was a run down and the rooms were not all that clean. On the main entrace there is shed full of old tools and garbage.

The place is located in a beautiful area, but it is so run down that it looks creepy. This place is by no mean romantic and I will never recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank LE A
Arlington
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed at the Skylands Manor in an effort to break up our trip from DC to Vermont. The castle was lovely and the staff very accomodating. We booked a less expensive room but were upgraded since the Manor was not full. Our room was very nice, the decor very elegant. The only reason I am not able to give this place 5 stars is b.c the shower in our room was nothing more than a trickle, no pressure at all. We alerted a staff member to this and he said he planned to check it out, we were only there one night but I am sure if we had been there another night it would have been fixed by the next morning.

There are no restaurants or outlets in the manor so make sure you arrange for your meals (other than breakfast, they do provide that) and any refreshments. There is not much in town as far as dining, we ate at a place called Prime, it was fine but nothing to write home about. You are not far from the city though so I am sure if you went a few extra miles in any direction you could find some nice places to eat.

The next morning we took a look around the grounds, despite the fact that none of the trees or plants have really flowered yet is was very nice and the views were quite lovely.

I realize this is a large wedding/special event venue and I am sure they do a great job, again, the staff was very helpful and pleasant so I am positive they would put on a great show for any occasion.

Room Tip: Several of the rooms have shared bathrooms so if you are like me and want a private bath you need to...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Christina C
Fairfield, New Jersey
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My partner and I attended a wedding at the the manor and stayed overnight. First - the manor is wonderful and amazing. I had known and visited Ringwood State Park and Skylands as a child and always was in love with the manor. I remember what it was like when the state took over from the school. I spent many summer days running and bike riding on the grounds. Our current stay was very good. We rented a room with a private bathroom and we have no complaints about the room. This is an old house that has had a worn history and now is in renovated glory.
Yes, the parking lot is not by the manor- but my reservation clearly said to pull up to the door, check in, unload your luggage and then park.
The wedding was wonderful and no complaints about the service. Food was good - not extraordinary, but good. It was a high end selection - filet, salmon and chicken as dinner choices. My partner said the filet was good - I felt the salmon was over cooked. But this is to be expected serving 100+ ppl.
My only question and the reason I would not go over board with the B & B label was the Breakfast.
I have thought about this - maybe because we were part of the only event, but we paid fully for our room - this could not be considered as part of the wedding package. For the price we paid I expected a better breakfast - as advertised on the B&B site.
Breakfast was coffee, tea, cocoa, juices - orange and cranberry. Packaged oatmeal - bowls and hot water provided. Mini muffins and danishes that anyone can purchase at a grocery/costco. The 'hot' portion was a tureen of scrambled eggs and another of bacon. After a 5 -6 hour event the night before, I expected a bit more then a slightly upgraded continental for those of us that had paid full price for a room.
When I read other reviews the breakfast seems to vary and not be consistant. Something to be aware of.
Checkout was 10:30am sharp - I heard a fellow guest say in the parking lot- can we go eat now?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank forestwench2000
New Jersey
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The building is beautiful but the inside needs to be sponsored so that is becomes either a museum a hotel or a catering rental space with elegance. It is worth seeing and small children could make it through the tour. The gardens and grounds are well worth seeing as an under discovered treasure of New Jersey.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Middletown, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The castle was beautiful and it was a great price. We went in February so there were no events going on. We did have to park a bit away and I will warn you the road up is terrible. But once we entered it was really stunning. They told us that the King Alfred Suite hadn't been rented for the night and they upgraded us for free which was a wonderful surprise. I wish there had been any form of entertainment or any food in the area, but we drove all around and there was really nothing so I would suggest eating before you go. The room was amazing though. I loved the style and it was huge. A living room, bedroom, bathroom, and hall full of closets. The biggest suite I have ever stayed at by far. I really enjoyed my trip. Although there was no dinner available there, I was happy they had breakfast out for us. They also came around and offered to cook anything we'd like but we had so much already I couldn't eat anymore. I have since visited in the spring and I will say the grounds are beautiful in spring/summer. You can't see much in Winter, but it is quieter and you might be able to actually find a room in winter, otherwise it is pretty booked up. I would recommend this place and would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElanGabrielle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
Grand Cascades Lodge
Best Western Regency House Hotel
Best Western Regency House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pompton Plains
Holiday Inn Express Haskell-Wayne Area

Been to The Castle at Skylands Manor? Share your experiences!