“Magical”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ringwood
Allendale, New Jersey
“Magical”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I stayed for one night in the King Alfred's suite for a surprise marriage proposal to my girlfriend. I rang ahead of time to ensure no weddings or events were going on before I booked and ended up having the whole place to ourselves. Quiet, romantic and elegant would sum up the very large suite and it was the perfect setting for a proposal.

Breakfast was made to our order (being on the guests) by the wonderful and friendly staff and we were even given a tour of the whole manor and walked the grounds afterwards. Such a well keep property and grounds.

Only recommendation would be prepared to walk in the dark from the carpark (only a short distance) otherwise drop off your bags and check in first then park the car.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrrb30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bloomfield, NJ
Reviewed November 12, 2010

My fiance recently got married at the Skylands Manor, the venue and rooms were beyond our expectations! I felt like princess I always wanted to be! The staff went above and beyond for all our needs from the beginning to the end with breakfast the next morning!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at the Castle for a get away, but close to home. We felt like we were staying in a romantice Castle from years past. The rooms were very big and with great detail. We stayed in a gastby room( we had our own bathroom). For the price this place is a FIND. We toured the entire castel and its wonderfull grounds. If you want to get lost in nature they have 1000 acres of so. They do not have a restaurant but recomended several a few miles away, that worked out. The breakfast was wonderfull and the sleep better. I would try this place out for your self befor they raise the rates.

2 Thank Bigfoot01
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed October 31, 2010

My wife and I were married at Skyland Manor five years ago and decided to celebrate our 5th year anniversary staying overnight at Skyland Manor. It really gave us the chance to explore the grounds and the rooms in more detail. We love the opportunity to stay at the manor. The staff was wonderful. The breakfast was great. It felt like we had the whole mansion to ourselves. The beds were comfortable. The heat worked very well in contrast to other reviewer's experiences at the Skyland Manor.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jchang00
Garfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Go for a day trip, not an overnight. My husband and I stayed the weekend after we got married. We arrived late that night and after our wedding day we had to park a ways from the castle and walk to the manor in the pitch black with our luggage. Our bathrooms were antique in a creepy way and dirty. They had not heated our rooms prior to us getting there and we frooze that night. Also there was a window open for an AC that we could not close, or take out the unit. The hospitality was also lacking, we had to search around to find anybody to help us or give us directions to the trials etc. We also had to pay for the waters that were left in our room. I hear the breakfast has been changed since we've been there but it was a terribly assorted continental. Not a bed and breakfast at all.
The grounds are simply gorgeous, and we spent the majority of our time outdoors. If you like hiking, nature and the fall foliage the location is perfect. The house itself is majestic, and a trip to the past. The castle and the manor has so much to offer, simple old fasion hospitality would make it an unforgettable experience. It's a shame that this piece of history can not be enjoyed to its fullest potential.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shashasilly
Fair Haven, New Jersey
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Although the Castle is located on beautiful grounds, once you step inside beware.
"CREEPY" explains it all. My fiance have never experienced anything like this. We love to travel and experience new things but this was unbearable. We knew we weren't checking into a 5star hotel but we were not expecting this! Everything was filthy! From the windows to the bathroom, everything was just disgusting. After settling into our room, we found a centipede crawling on our bed sheets. The bath rooms were not well cleaned and the heat did not work. The Castle also has a separate parking lot which lacks lights(hope you like walking in the dark). Also, we experienced someone rattling with our door knob several times. Again, CREEPY! I still can't even understand how people book weddings there. This place is by no means romantic! I would NEVER recommend to anyone.

10 Thank Lovestotravel92311
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I have never been treated as though I were invisible in my entire life. We were not told there was an event and not only were ignored but our room was overlooking the very noisy event. It was early and yet many people were already drunk and disruptive. Linda was very rude and refused to be of any assistance. She just lost a potential customer because I will never even consider planning anything here again.

• Stayed September 2010
4 Thank delightful00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 2 in Suffern
Courtyard Mahwah
Courtyard Mahwah
#4 of 8 in Mahwah

Been to The Castle at Skylands Manor? Share your experiences!