“Fine dining indeed!”

8:00 PM
Ranked #5 of 142 Restaurants in Ridgewood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Previously a Thai restaurant...has been opened about 3 weeks...EXCELLENT FOOD and SERVICE
Reviewed February 16, 2019

Visited 02/14/2019
4.5 stars actually. Everything was very very good... excellent even. It just irks me that some restaurants jack up menu prices on 'special days'. I equate this to price gouging and find it incredibly annoying. Not all restaurants do this, but that's the reason I took off a half a star.
Other than that... the food and service were excellent.
My wife started with the 'herbed goat cheese raviolis', sun dried golden figs and a pine nut sage butter 'noisette'. Quite excellent.
For her entree she had the fillet mignon with fresh water langoustine, (think large shrimp with the heads on) shallot potatoes and asparagus with a wine sauce reduction. Nicely presented, cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. (according to her.)
I started with the beef carpaccio and lump crab meat, with arugula, shaved parmigiano, roasted garlic aioli and a caper vinaigrette. This too was nicely presented and just fantastic.
I went with the pan roasted cervena venison, caramelized onions, sauteed spinach and garlic mashed potatoes. This too was nicely plated and perfectly cooked. I'd gladly order this again.
Normally we would have passed on dessert, but since this was a fixed prix evening, we both had the banana's foster with dark chocolate brioche bread pudding and marscapone mousse. Pretty yummy!
As an FYI... many of these dishes were 'specials' for Valentines day. I was all 'juiced up' for their seafood fettuccine, so I guess we'll have to make another trip back here.
One other very nice touch that my wife appreciated was the hot milk that was served with the coffee. I drink my coffee black, so that wasn't so 'special' to me.
Don't forget to bring a nice bottle of wine because it is a BYOB!

Date of visit: February 2019
1  Thank conradb2

Reviewed February 16, 2019

Went here for my birthday - what great service; the dishes were a work of art and tasted even better than they looked. I cannot wait to go back here - what a wonderful addition to the Ridgewood restaurants.

Date of visit: January 2019
cesar s, Owner at Cafe 37, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2019

Dear Michele,

We're so glad you picked us to celebrate your birthday. Thank you for sharing your experience in this detailed and thoughtful 5-Star review. We really appreciate your compliments.

Please join us again soon,

Cesar Sotomayor, Chef/Owner

Reviewed December 17, 2018

Cafe 37 is my all time favorite restaurant. It is a nice small and cozy location with food that is out of this world. They have great staff and great food.my personal favorite is the fish.

Date of visit: August 2018
Cafe37RidgewoodNJ, Owner at Cafe 37, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience in this 5-Star review.

Please come back to see us again, next time you're in the area!

Best,
Cesar Sotomayor

Reviewed December 10, 2018 via mobile

We took friends out to celebrate a 40th birthday on Friday night. Place was not overcrowded but busy. We placed two appetizers that came out in a reasonable amount of time (mussels and a salad ). Both were good. But from the time our appetizer came to the delivery of our meal was 1 HOUR. I know this bc I took a pic of my salad on my phone because the presentation was pretty lovely. 1 HOUR.... I mentioned this to another wait staff member because we couldn’t find our waiter but at that point, our food was literally coming out. He gave us a half handed apology and said he would “talk to his manager”. No one came back over to the table, and even our waiter never addressed such a long wait time. Like it didn’t even happen.... I’m sorry , but for charging $150 for 4 PLATES OF FOOD, I expect it to be delivered in less than an hour. I’ve worked in customer service for the better part of 20 years and I will pay good money for good good and good service. This trip, however, fell short and we won’t be back. Pretty disappointed since we talked this place up and took our friend for her birthday and didn’t live up to our hype.

Date of visit: December 2018
Cafe37RidgewoodNJ, Owner at Cafe 37, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2018

Jenn, we apologize that the experience did not live up to your expectations. We never want to hear that a customer was disappointed with anything at our restaurant, and we can assure you that your experience was definitely an anomaly, and is not the norm at Cafe 37 and your comments have been taken into account.

We apreciate our customers very much and we hope you will give us another opportunity and come back in to get a 5-star experience.

You can contact me directly at cafe37nj@gmail.com.

Best,
Cesar Sotomayor, Chef/Owner

Reviewed December 2, 2018

Café 37 is a small, BYO American fare restaurant. First thoughts after walking in is that the tables are way to close together. Our food had to be passed down because on one side of out table, another two tables were to close for the waitstaff to pass through. Their dishes are very funky looking - loved it. They come out with a trio for your bread (which is brought out by staff - rolls were a bit chewy). Also a small bite as the chef's welcome. It was good, although a bit too big of a bite to eat at one time. We ordered. Having wine and one of the people we were with put his wineglass down and it broke. Loud enough to hear anywhere in the restaurant. No one came over - we had to ask someone to clear off the glass as well as the trio of stuff for the bread - glass got into it. My feeling is that they should have cleared that end of the table to ensure there was no glass pieces (we did find another sliver on the table). We had to ask for another wine glass almost 5 minutes later as well as a new trio - they def didn't give the full amount of whatever was on the original dish. Appetizers and entrees were good although we felt the chef was heavy handed on the sauces; the entrees didn't quite look as beautiful as they could have as they tout themselves as nouvelle. It was a bit disappointing all around. For the prices they charge, service should have been perfect. Because of the glass incident, I don't think we would be back.

Date of visit: December 2018