“Expected More”

Dining options: Reservations
Ramsey, New Jersey
“Expected More”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We dined at La Lanterna on a Friday evening at 8pm. It was the Friday before Memorial Day so that was why we thought the place was not more crowded. However, that may not be the case.
The owner of the restaurant was present and she was very cordial. The rest of the staff were also polite and professional, but not polished at all. The atmosphere was ok, and could use a bit of a facelift. The decor was not inviting. This is a BYO, which was nice.

The bread they provide when you are reviewing the menu is awful. It honestly had no taste and was dry, bordering on stale. We ordered two appetizers (calamari and mozzarella with roasted red peppers). Both were just ok, not bad, but nothing remarkable. The entrees were also just ok. The salmon and shrimp dinner billed as a house specialty in the menu was fair, but only had three tiny shrimp which appeared to be the kind you buy frozen in a bag. The pasta dish my dining companion had was ok, but again nothing special. The desserts were better. The gelato was very good, but the peanut butter pie was good, but obviously not made in house.

We had a Groupon, so had we paid full price for this food I would have been more than disappointed. There is definitely something missing in this place concerning the food. With all the choices in Ridgewood we will not be back.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Travel7108

Tenafly, New Jersey, United States
“Warm and cozy”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This restaurant made for a warm and cozy dinner on a cool & rainy Saturday night. Loved the atmosphere and the staff. The four of us all had specials - two scallops, which were excellent and the sea bass also excellent. I had the seafood posillipo which I thought was just OK but loaded with lots of seafood that I didn't even finish. I was disappointed in the zucchini fritters which were too mushy and just warm. The fried calamari was good though. A little on the pricey side considering we split two appetizers & desserts and it's a BYOB. But the place is very comfortable and I would like to try it again in the warm weather & take advantage of the outside seating.

• Visited March 2014
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“wishing for more”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We love Italian, and as recent arrivals to Ridgewood, we were hoping La Lanterna would become our go-to spot. After three visits, I reluctantly have to give it a middle of the road review.

Plusses - great service, nice ambiance, very nice proprietor and interesting specials. On the food side, if they have the fried zuchini flowers, definitely get them - light, fresh, delicious

Downside - pasta and chicken dishes are just ok - lots of sauce, lots of salt. The food just doesn't deliver versus expectations. While the presentation is nice, the actual food was more like what you'd get at a nice all-inclusive resort restaurant - almost, but not quite right...

Visited September 2013
New Jersey
“Great BYOB Restaurant”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My husband and I met our friends for dinner at Lanterna last night. We had never been to this restaurant in Ridgewood before and were pleasantly surprised. My husband had the chicken marsala, my friends had the chicken parmesan and I had the chicken cacciatore. We all enjoyed our food and although my cacciatore is not prepared as it typically is (on the bone) it was very tasty. The ambience of the restaurant was very pleasant; however, towards the end of our meal it got really noisy due to a group of very loud diners behind us. We certainly plan to return and try some of the other offerings.

• Visited November 2013
North New Jersey
“Love the food and ambiance”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was very pleased with my meal and the waitresses. I made a reservation for a weeknight. Had no trouble getting a reservation and was greeted warmly at the door. We sat right down and were immediately waited on. The appetizer and main course were both delicious. It was warm and cozy and I am eager to get back.

• Visited October 2013