“Reservations...”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
New Jersey
“Reservations...”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked a reservation two weeks before and while we knew it would be busy (V-day weekend), we were really taken aback by the rude comment that despite having a reservation, we would have a 20 minute wait. Last time I checked, a reservation meant that you really didn't have to wait, correct? The place was packed and I was glad to see that we weren't seated in the entrance...the tables are placed so close together-a pack of sardines.
After being seated and given the menu, we ordered (no specials were noted, so we assumed there were none). No questions about whether we wanted soda or anything besides water- a little odd, but not a big deal. A few minutes later, the waiter returned to inform my husband that his order was sold out. It didn't help that it was the only meat dish on the menu and my husband wanted a meat dish. Regardless, our food was good- the mussels as appetizers, garlic risotto (don't order if you don't like the overpowering taste of garlic), and the cornish hen. During the meal, the waiter did not check on us- simply put, the service was definitely lacking. Speaking of lacking, the ambiance was also lacking- not really a place that stands out.

Would we return? Eh...we weren't really impressed especially given the town's reputation.

Denville, New Jersey
“Unpleasant experience”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Food was very good, wait staff friendly, but unfortunately the management were almost hostile and turned what would have been a pleasant and happy evening into a very unpleasant experience.
We had a Groupon (with no excluded dates listed) and were informed that they had arbitrarily decided that morning not to accept them that day... I had presented it after being seated and the owner was almost condescending in his approach to us. In speaking with other couples I found that they had equally unexpected and unhappy expereinces with the owners.
Our food also did take a while to arrive....
We certainly will never return to this place and I would recommend others to be careful and/or avoid.

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“Better Than Expected”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Based on recent past reviews we were not expecting much and only dined there to use an about to expire Groupon certificate. The service was quite satisfactory (prompt, but not personable), but this was a Monday night and the restaurant was only about 1/4 full (we avoid when we can dining out in this area on Friday and Saturday evenings). The food was quite good and we would recommend it. However, on the ala carte menu it is quite pricey, right up there with 2 more upscale restaurants, one down the street and the other just around the corner. The one item that really impressed me is that their starch was well roasted potatoes. I just cannot understand why so many fine (and not so fine) restaurants in the area offer mashed potatoes. Spooning a glob of mashed potatoes in my opinion is the sign of a restaurant who just cannot be bothered (sorry MP lovers!). The Prix Fixe menu appeared very cost-effective but the choices were limiting. I was also VERY impressed that they did not automatically tack on an automatic 18-20% tip but did show on the check what the full price of the dinner would have been if I did not use the Group cert - so I could base my tip on that.

new york
“overrated”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

we had a 7:00 reservation and they were a good 20 minutes behind schedule. At least 2 or 3 reservations left before seated. The front of the house is not managed well. We finally sat down and it took at least 30 minutes to order. We only saw our waiter twice throughout the night. My salad was very good but the John Dory was overcooked and had no taste. I actually left the plate with half the fish left. My wife had the filet which was well done when she asked for medium rare. I would say for the price, service and tight quarters it was disappointing. EE

Boynton Beach, Florida
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had been to Pearl one other time before they expanded. Apparently they have bitten off more than they can chew. First, the service was horrible. This did not make sense as we had a 6PM reservation and the place was more than half empty. The waiter opened our wine, took our order, and disappeared for the rest of the night. He only came over one time when the meal was in front of us, not brought out by him, at which time he said enjoy your entree. Oh, I forgot to mention that it took 50 minutes to get the entree after our Caesar salad. The entrees were snapper and linguini with clams, both underwhelming. As for the time between salad and entree, that definitely seemed to be the norm. We watch several tables that were seated before and after us and no table was getting their meals in a reasonable period of time. I blame this on a very small kitchen that support a one store front operation. With the expansion to two, it has deteriorated. Then again, the place was not crowded. I would hate to be there if the place was close to capacity. At approx $27 per entree there are a lot better places to eat in Ridgewood. I also need to add that the tables are on top of each other. No privacy whatsoever. We will not be back.