“so so”

Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ridgefield Park
Reviewed January 19, 2013

hotel was nice, got a rash from lying on the bedspread. Front desk staff was courteous and gave us menus for ordering food for delivery as not much of a in house restaurant. loud party in adjacent room that even after the front desk was called it continued . coffee cups in room were dirty

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gary S
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. With that said, I'm disappointed to read that your experience was only "so-so." We are always working to improve our product and services and based on your feedback, we clearly have much to do.
We do occasionally get feedback about a reaction that someone has to the chemicals that we use to launder our bedding. I will note your feedback and be mindful of any similar comments should I get them in the future.
Noise complaints can certainly be disruptive and I apologize that you had that frustration. There are steps we take when we receive a noise compliant. If we receive a second complaint to a room because the disturbance continues, there are actions are additional steps we take. I will review that process with my team to ensure that all are clear on these situations should be handled.
A dirty glass in the room is simply not acceptable. I will share this with my Executive Housekeeper and make sure that all are clear on the cleaning and inspection process.
Thank you again for your feedback!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. I did get a room between the elevators and electrical room with no view (other than air conditioning units on roof). This might be due to fact that I used points for the room?

Also, the I had a steak in the restaurant that was terrible. I would not recommed having the steak.

Overall accomodations were good but the hotel is located in an isolated area so I was a little uncomfortable venturing out as I was not familiar with the area and there were no close amenities outside hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tracy p

Thank you for your posting here on Tripadvisor!
We are always looking for ways to go from "good to great" so reading that your experience was "Ok" tells me that we have work to do!
First, I can assure you that we do not assign rooms based on how the room charges are being settled, using your example of "paying" with points. With that said, we can do a better job of assigning rooms, keeping in mind that some rooms are "less desirable" than others while still being mindful of specific guest requests.
You are right when you say that we are "isolated" referencing our location. Unfortunately there aren't many local options for activities other than the movie theater and the park located about 500 yards. I will say this, we have had no incidents involving the safety of those that have chosen to walk either to the movie theater or park.
Also, we have the advantage of having New Jersey Transit pick up right outside our hotel. This means that you can be in Times Square NYC, one of the greatest cities in the world, in about 15 minutes, traffic allowing of course.
Lastly, I have not missed your comments regarding the way your steak was cooked. It's frustrating to look forward to a nice meal and then have it not prepared properly. I will share your feedback with my team and work towards improvement today!
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you chose again should you travel to our area.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Comfy and clean - great staff! We have stayed here a few times and always look forward to counting on consistent service which is missing in many places. The staff is attentive and efficient. Cleanliness is paramount and the Hilton delivers that!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2013

location was convenient for my purposes and the hotel was well kept. room was fine and staff was friendly. I was a bit annoyed not to find coke machines next to the ice. Had to go all the way to the front desk and wait behind guests being checked in so that I could pay the rather inflated amount of $2.50 for a coke. Other than that, I had no complaints at all. The hotel perfectly met all expected standards for this class of lodging. Nothing special, but everyone was friendly, everything was clean, and the stay was essentially without flaw. If I needed to stay in this area again, I'd have no problem choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor. I can understand your frustration with not having vending machines on the guest floors. As a brand, Hilton Garden Inn does not provide vending machines on the floors. We do however offer The Pavilion Pantry which is located next to the front desk. The Pavilion Pantry provides some great, quick, microwaveable options, ice cream and some sweets, beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, and some fresh made sandwiches and salads. With our having microwaves and refrigerators in every guest room, you can do a little "shopping" at the Pavilion Pantry before you head off to your room. That way you'll have all that you need to enjoy a snack and beverage whenever the urge hits you.
I appreciate your mentioning that other than the vending issue, you enjoyed your stay and that you would return to us if you are in our area again.
We strive to be better than "an average" hotel so any other feedback you could provide me would be appreciated.
Thank you again and be well.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We checked in very late for our one night stay and the employees were very understanding. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Our room was on the top floor and we did have a lot of noise from A/C/Heat units and the New Jersey Turnpike. Other than that my only complaint was that the curtains for the room did not block out much light. We had breakfast at the hotel, 11.95 for all you can eat. It was very good and I would highly recommend it. Bus picks you up right outside of the hotel, $8.50 round trip into NYC.

Room Tip: Avoid the top level and the turnpike side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We visited NYC for 5 days to Christmas shop and see the Christmas lights, etc. This hotel works out perfectly. If you don;'t want to spend $400 per night and don';t mind a small amount of bus inconvenience stay at the Jersey Hilton Garden Inn. The bus arrives directly outside the hotel and except for rush hour, which should be avoided, arrives on time. The price $139 including breakfast is a great price. The hotel is clean, quiet, nicely decorated and includes a great breakfast buffet. Plus no fee for parking. Will definitely stay here on future trips.

Room Tip: Some other review commented on the turnpike noise, but we didn't think it was an issue
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Amy G, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Robin, thanks for the review! We are glad that you found our location to be convenient for your trip to the city, and are glad you felt that we were a great value, as well. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

First, the positives -- and there are many. We were visiting NYC for a weekend to see a show, Christmas lights, etc. The weekend was one of the two busiest of the year in NYC, so hotels there are crazy-priced, plus we were driving. This location, very close to NYC, fit perfectly. It's right on the top end of the Jersey Turnpike, allowing a very short drive to Secaucus Junction and the train to Penn Station. (Also, for those who would prefer, a bus to Port Authority stops near the hotel, though it does not run as late or often as the train.) The room was clean, the staff friendly, the breakfast buffet good. The pool was small but nice and the spa nice and hot. For my preferences when traveling, alone or with family, that's spot on.

Now, the issue, which in the end appears to be primarily the fault of Hilton reservations and/or corporate and not the property: The rate booked on the Hilton website for a party of 3 was the "Holidays Heart Promo." The rate rules are "you get breakfast, HGI and Feeding America will help provide meals to families in need." Nowhere does it state in the rate rules that not all guests get breakfast, but on arrival we were told the rate only includes breakfast for two, and you pay for the third. On checkout, I asked for the manager on duty, who stated that it was not the hotel's fault, but rather HGI reservations' issue in not being clear with rates. He did refund $15 in cash (note that this was less than two days' breakfast cost). A call to Hilton customer service got the opposite response: they stated that the online rate rules are provided by the property and it is their responsibility. I later learned that the breakfast promo (which is a chain-wide promotion) is intended to be for up to two adults plus up to 2 young children, but that you would never know that from the rate rules available when booking. Rather, you would have to know to go to the HGI website's main page - which you never see if you search for properties starting at Hilton.com -- and then look at the information on the page advertising this promotion.

I certainly realize glitches happen, but for a chain that has a slogan of "we promise to do whatever it takes to ensure you’re satisfied, or you don’t pay," this seems not to be in line with the slogan or the perspective I've seen with HGI in the past.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on Trip Advisor. I realize that there was some confusion with the breakfast promotion that you had booked when staying at my hotel. Inf act I was the manger that spoke with you and attempted to resolve the situation. During our conversation I was not aware that you had stayed multiple nights with us thus the reason that only $15 was returned to you. That was an oversight on my part and I do apologize for that.
I hope that the confirmation of the information I provided you will eliminate any confusion on future reservations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgefield Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood
Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights
Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater - NYC Area

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park? Share your experiences!