“Clean spacious room but disppointing breakfast service”

Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ridgefield Park
London, Ontario
“Clean spacious room but disppointing breakfast service”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn with a weekend tour group of 50. Our hotel room was very clean and spacious. The front desk staff were helpful with any questions we had. The breakfast service for our group, however, was somewhat disappointing.

We did have early breakfast at 6am. From the attitude of the staff, they did not seem very happy with their early start. In fact, on the first day, they were not ready for us when we arrived in the breakfast room and any requests felt like an intrusion.

The hot food was not very warm nor were the items like milk for the cereal and fruit kept topped up. The first morning they even seemed surprised that we would like to toast our bagels. Our tour guide did her best but it seemed like a full time job keeping on top of things to make sure that our group had sufficient breakfast items to start our day.

This was our first experience with a Hilton Garden Inn. Although the breakfast was disappointing, we will give this brand another try, based on the accommodation and amenities.

Room Tip: This hotel is not close to anything so travellers will either need a car to get around or make use o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
I was dissappointed to read about your breakfast service, I apologize that you had poor experience. I know of your group and we appreciate your buiness over the years. Our business is one of adaping to changes so make a time adjustment is something that we need to take in stride.
I have already shared this feedback with my service team so that we can learn from it and work towards NOT repeating it.
At the end of the day, we are a service based industry, and our responsiblity is to take care of our guests as best we can. Clearly we have some improvements to be made but be assured, those improvements will be made.
Thank you for sharing your feedback here and I look forward to continuing to enhance the positve working relationship we've developed.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Booked room on Sunday was notified Wednesday that the price was entered wrong on their website and they would not honor it or even make any offer to meet in the middle. The rate was what it was and that was it. Very poor customer service that it took 3 days to correct this mistake and notify me 2 days before my planned stay. Will never stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank sometingwong
As was mentioned to you on the phone, this was an error that was encountered while dealing with a third party vendor and was regretable. We did make efforts to come to an agreeable solution, but unfortunately we were unable to reach that agreement.
I am dissappointed that this is the only impression that you have of our hotel and am hopeful that you might find your way to give us the opportunity to show you the real service levels we have here.
Regards,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Booked 2 rooms here for 3 nights end of July. Had stayed here last year and took family to New York City, Hoboken and New Jersey. Last year hotel was incredibly clean, service was very good and proximity to NYC/bus routes was very efficient. Had such a great experience thought would take same trip again, and convinced other family members to come along. To my surprise, the condition of the carpets, walls, elevators looked in desperate need of a good cleaning. The front desk girls seemed confused and lacked communication skills. There was more than one mix up between the 2 rooms throughout our stay. We were to have adjoining rooms but they ended up being diagonally across the hall from each other. When I inquired I was told that "adjoining" meant across from each other. Go figure. The carpet in our room was unbelievably stained and there were black hairs on the floors in both bathrooms. Definitely not the standard of cleaniness you would expect from a Hilton or what we had experienced the previous year. When I asked whether the hotel had changed management I was told that it had. Someone definitely messed up there, first impressions are so important. I should mention that we took the package that included the breakfast. It was nicely done and more than sufficient. The waiter, KEWIN was EXCELLENT. He had told us that he had worked his way up to the dining room. He was always so pleasant (even when the room was full of people and he was working alone), he was always smiling and gave superb service. Hopefully, he continues to work his way up in the company.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from highway. Handicap rooms are larger if available. See Kewin in dining room, he...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your stay with us. In reading through your comments there are things that are both encouraging and discouraging.
Just to clear up one thing, we are NOT under nerw managament, I apologize for that misinformation.
We just turned 3 years old in April and as you can imagine, our "house" gets a lot of use and occassional "abuse" and we are starting to show those signs of wear. With that said, I have already implemented a deep cleaning plan for all the hotels carpets so all areas will get a well deserved refresh.
As far as the overall clealiness of the hotel, I can't disagree. The level of cleanliness is not up to my expecation and action has been taken. I have recently added a new Executive Housekeeper to my team and I am confident that improvements will be swift and evident. Regardless, that transition needs to be seemless to our guests and that quality should not be sacrificed.
I will use your comments concerning the front desk as a training opportunity in order to help ensure that the information we provide is accurate. Clearly there are a few items that are in need of review.
Kewin joined us about 2 years ago and has steadily earned more responsibility as a result of his quality, hard work. He is a good example of hard work paying off. I will share your comments with him.
I am hopeful that should you be in our area you elect to stay with us again so that you can see the improvements that have been made.
Thank you for your feedback.
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here recently on a trip to NYC with the family. Big, clean room. Breakfast was fast and hot. Dining area was a little small and was getting crowded as we were leaving. Pool and exercise areas were clean and well maintained. Overall a very nice hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I'm glad to read that you had a positive experience withus, thank you for sharing your feedback here. There are times, I agree, that we could use a bigger dining room, but we do the best we can with what we have. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast adn were able to take advantage of our indoor pool.
I hope if you return to our area you choose to stay with us again.
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Booked here for our last 2 nights of touring around New England. Clean and very comfy but lacking in personality. Right by many many roads and nothing within walking distance.
Pool and jacussi great as is the patio area just by that.
Ate in the 1st night and really nothing to get excited about.
Breakfast was a shambles.. No tables free and although we were assured by a waitress that she would clear one for us by the time we had got our breakfast.....20 minutes later with our food cold she eventually returned( after helping many other guests)Apparently no cutlery.!!!! If we had been told that we would have waited a while. As it was we had a cold and soggy and unenjoyable breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. In reading your comments it looks like overall, your stay with us was good, but not without issue. Breakfast is an important part of the guest experience and we clearly failed to execute that experience to either of our standards and for that I apologize.
Be assured that your feedback will be used to help us improve our breakfast service, so thank you for sharing it with me.
We'll be looking forward to your return and enjoying a fresh, delicous breakfast with us.
Englewood, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is very nice- looks brand new. Service is great. Workers are really nice and friendly. Very clean and the food is really good!! The area is nice but public tranportation and walking is tough. Need a car! Def reccommend it tho!!!! Loved it

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for sharing your knid words here on TripAdvisor! I'm pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are just over 3 years old and work hard to make sure that we provide a clean and friendly hotel each and every stay.
I agree that a car does make getting around this area much easier. New Jersey Transit does have bus service that is an affordable and convenient option to driving into NYC and we can provide that information should you need it on your next visit to us.
Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your staying with us again soon.
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is one of the best looking Hilton Garden Inns that I've ever seen. However, when I arrived at the front desk around 11pm after a delayed flight, they magically ran out of rooms (overbooked). They had to move me to another hotel 15 minutes away. I did book a couple of weeks earlier, and I hadn't realized that the practice of overbooking is not just limited to airlines.

I wasn't sure if I should give 1 star while I didn't stay at this hotel. However, when you're tired after a long trip, isn't the essence of hospitality that there is a room available to relax and be rested for the early meeting the next morning? I think so. Therefore: 1 star.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel when you could potentially be arriving late at night.
Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jep C
I understand your frustration and respect your right to express that frustartion. I apologize that you had that experience with us.
As you mention, it is a common practice for airlines to overbook their flights, but other industries do as well. With that said, it is a delicate balance, and we need to make sure that we do our very best to ensure that our guests are taken care of, whether it be at our hotel or at a neighboring hotel.
Again, I apologize for your experience.
Regards,
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater - NYC Area
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights
Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park? Share your experiences!