“Great hotel near the city”

Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ridgefield Park
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This proved a great hotel for us to have a family vacation in NYC. We were able to easily cross the George Washington Bridge each morning and connect with relatives to explore the island. The hotel is new, easy to reach, and very customer friendly. My 12 year old son was a little under the weather the first night and the front desk was genuinely attentive and concerned. It was his birthday, and we opted to do dinner in the hotel. The cake, candles and song for him endeared us to the place, so much so we opted to do the last night dinner there as well. It was a great stay, and I'd reccomend the hotel to others wanting a great reasonably priced option near the city.

Room Tip: The hotel is close to the turnpike, so the further east perhaps the better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Although our location tends to be what draws people to us, our goal is to build relationships with our guests and provide a memorable experience so that people not only return to stay with us, but also tell their friends about us. It sounds like from what you've shared here, our goal was accomplished and that's what I like to hear.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me and the TripAdvisor world. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

we stayed here from June 6-10, 2012. We checked in late on the 6th as Air Canada completely screwed everything up including our flights and left our bags in Calgary. The location is great & the NJ transit is just off the hotel property so we took the bus (167Q) into NYC (35-45 mins) and back to Ridgefield Park (15-20mins) Gate 316 after 10pm and gate 75 after midnight. it is helpful to check with the info desk each morning just to make sure.

When we arrived at the Hotel Tracy felt our frustratoin with Air Canada and welcomed us with some complimentary waters and a couple beers. They hit the spot and immediately made us feel at home.
The lovely Daniela works the front desk during the day and also knows how to look after customers...she tracked down a blackberry charger to charge my dead phone and helped us with fresh coffees or whatever request we had. She was great to deal with and see every morning for coffee, very friendly.

We will stay here again without a doubt and are already planning our next trip to NYC and we'll be crashing at Hilton...very clean, quiet and comfy rooms.

Thank you to everyone at the hotel for everything!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clint J
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal with the airline, but pleased to read that we were able to turn things around for you. One of our goals is to provide an experience that makes you feel better when you leave us than you did when you arrived. It sounds like that goal was accomplished which is great!
I will pass your comments on to both Tracy and Daniella. for a job well done!
You mentioned that you would stay with us again and that's great to hear.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I booked a non-smoking room, when I check in, the lady was very rude and gave me a smoking room, when we found too much black ants in the bed and room, I asked her to change another room for me and show her those black ants, she told me can't change room for this MINOR problem. I paid more than $160.00 per night and must to pass the night with those ants; it's very terrible and sad. My children were very scared over night. Next day, I went to the reception and told the man there we can't stay anymore with those ants and show him those black ants, I told him I need to change another room or otherwise I want see the manager. So he changes the room for me and explains the lady was a new staff, but new staff is not an excuse for rude and bad service.
If your destination is NY, this hotel location is very very bad, too much traffic, usually you must take 2 to 3 hours to NY city, and too much toll road and toll bridge, totally spend $18.00 to $32.00 for go to NY city.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Littlemermaid2012
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

I'm disappointed to read of your experience with us. The way that we handled your issue was not indicative of teh service level we provide and for that I do apologize. I will use your feedback as an opportunity to review our procedures with my team so that a repeat issue does not occur.
I can certainly appreciate your frustration with both the cost and the delays that can be associated with traveling into New York City. With all due respect, I'm sure that you can understand that we have no control over the time it takes or the cost to get in and out of New York. The New York/New Jersey Port Authority regulates the tolls and traffic, with any major city, is unpredictable.
With that said, New Jersey Transit provides scheduled bus service to and from Manhatten, Port Authority Terminal, for $4.25 per adult each way and generally takes around 20 minutes. As you can see from many of the other responses for our hotel on TraipAdvisor, this bus service and our location provides both affordable and convenient option.
Be assured I will address the issues you have brought forward, and correct those that are within in my means to do so.
Feedback is a valuable tool in the contiuous improvement process and I truly apprecaite you sharing your feedback.
If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly.
Thank you and be well.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

The hotel is fresh and new, really nice decor and really comfy beds.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel.
Great breakfast buffe and great dinner. Really high standard.
The bus 157 will take you into Manhatten in 15-20 minutes.
Really nice and friendly staff.
Small gym but it does let you get that workout.
Small pool just for dipping, but still nice to have.

Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank TegnerM
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments here on Tripadvisor. I'm happy to read that you had you had such a good experience with us. We just turned 3 years old in April and work hard to maintain that "like new" look and feel.
The Garden Sleep System (GSS) is a Hilton Garden Inn patented bed and something that is designed to set us apart from all others. There is no better endorsement than "really comfy beds" when it comes to describing a bed...thank you!
The NJ Transit bus into New York is not only convenient, but affordable too. Being able to get in and out of NYC city for less than $10/person roundtrip certainly is a bargain.
The only thing I would point out is that the NJ Transit bus that stops outside our hotel is actually the 167 Q, not the 157. I mention this only so that future visitors board the correct bus in order to return to the hotel.
With that said, I thank you again for your kind words and comments. I hope that you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

WOW. What an experience for a HGI. If the corporate guys for HGI in Memphis read this, they should make sure that someone pays attention and uses this property as the benchmark for others in the brand. This place is by far the BEST HGI I have stayed in over the years of business travel. As a Hilton Diamond, I have more than a few HGI stays under my belt, and most are forgettable. The staff at this place makes all the difference. The location is not bad, and the rooms are VERY clean with the usual HGI amenities. What makes the difference is the staff. They ALL are very courteous and customer focused. I have been at several New York area proerties in the last week, and in many ways, given the expectations one had, they even blew away the Four Seasons NY stay I had last week (look for review soon). The location is close to a bus stop, and within driving distance to a mall and several other useful locations. I did not go into the city on this trip however. The gym is very clean, and well maintained with fairly new equipment, though small like other HGIs. The staff tries very hard - everyone from the room staff to the restaurant and front desk are all unfailingly polite, helpful and work to anticipate needs. The property was full during my stay, and special requests, and day to day hotel operations were all handled well, quickly, and most importantly pleastantly, and in many cases with a smile and terrific follow up and further offers to help. Really, this was such a strange experience given that I had just finished a BELOW expectations experience at the Four Seasons.

My group had also used the conference room at the HGI here for a few days, and were really amazed that the service we received paralleled that from much higher brand level properties, and even surpassed others, where we usually would pay a premium. Given that I don't easily give out 5 star ratings on here, just based on the fact that this place completely exceeded my expectations, I am sure it will be just as good for others too. Will definitely be back if I need to be in the area.

The only minor cons was the usual slow eleveator that Hampton Inns and HGIs all over the world seem to use, and that they tried to 'charge' me for the free water bottles they gave me upon check out, but quickly fixed the problem when I protested.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the interstate and perhaps close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank YHD

Let me begin by thanking you for being a Hilton Honors Diamond member, your loyalty is very much appreciated.
Next, what an amazing review...THANK YOU!!! Being able to make an impression like was made during your time with us is why we do what we do. My team is focused on providing the best guest experience possible and it 's great to hear that we were able to make your stay with us so memorable.
Thank you again for your comments and for sharing them here on Tripadvisor. I hope that you come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel! New and clean. Best nights sleep I've had in ages. Staff could be more friendly but after check-in, you don't have to interact with them. I'd rather have a new or renovated hotel over friendly staff anyways.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank newenglandbred
mghayward, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Sounds like you were able to take advantage of the Hilton Garden Inn's patented bed, the Garden Sleep System (GSS). Being able to adjust the firmness of each side of the bed is certainly a big plus and I'm glad that you were able to get a great nights sleep.
Although you are willing to "trade" a newer or renovated hotel over a friendly staff...I respectfully will not. We are, at the core of what we do, a hospitality company and being friendly is a minimum expecation that I have of my team.
I appreciate your feedback and hope that you return to stay with us again. Then you'll get a friendly staff AND a new hotel!

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We stayed in the Hilton Garden on April 20th and 21st. We got to the hotel around 12 p.m. on Friday night. We checked in and the front desk was very helpful with the bus schedule to get into NYC City the next morning. (They gave us a copy of the bus schedule to take with us) Our room was on the first floor. Very neat, clean, quite and it was a nice room. We caught the bus (167Q) the next morning. The bus stop was very convinent and right on the edge of the parking lot. It took us about 15-20 minutes to get into the city. We had a great stay and would definantly stay here again if we were going into the city.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jamad424

I'm glad to see that you were able to take advantage of the NJ Transit bus into NYC. It's so convenient and easy to use right?? It makes getting into NYC a lot easier and less stressful than driving that's for sure. Let someone else worry about traffic right??
Seeing that you would stay with us again if you return to the area is great to hear as well. We hope to see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgefield Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights
Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park? Share your experiences!