“DONT STAY HERE!!Appalled at customer service, hung up on and treated terrible”

Days Inn Ridgefield NJ
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ridgefield
Connecticut
“DONT STAY HERE!!Appalled at customer service, hung up on and treated terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2008

I work for a company who asked my to book 2 rooms for 2 employees for 4 nights. I prepaid directly through Days Inn and paid almost $700. The very next morning I called to explain my situation and ask to postpone the reservation until their training a few weeks later.

A lady with a very thick accent answered the phone, and immediately told me that I should have read the fine print and she was not willing to even listen to what I had to say. I asked for a manager, and she said there was no manager available.

I explained to her how important this was, and she continued to talk over me. I told her please let me speak, she is not letting me get a word in edgewise.

She told me "I was not God". I am APPALLLED she would say something like that to a customer who is calling about a problem.

After I asked her name, she told me her first name was Misty and her last Name was "misty", which I find hard to believe someone with a Middle Eastern accent would be named Misty. After I asked again her real name she HUNG UP ON ME.

I tried calling back, and she just let the phone ring and ring!!!

I plan to contact the Better Business Bureau regarding this horrific experience.

DONT GO HERE!!

• Disliked — RUDE RUDE RUDE OBNOXIOUS STAFF!!!! I CANNOT EXPRESS THIS ENOUGH!! DISATISFIED AND NO ONE AT DAYS INN CARES!! SPENT $700
Stayed February 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
NH / VT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

This is a great little budget hotel, convenient to New York if you have a car. A few disgruntled customers seem intent to get their revenge on the hotel staff with particularly nasty reviews. Let's get some perspective here.

I've stayed here twice. Once with a group of students, and once with my wife. Both times, the staff were hospitable and helpful. Even with accommodating students with roll out beds. My guess is that politeness given gets politeness in return.

All the rooms I booked were clean, modest, recently renovated rooms. They were clean, freshly made up, and tidy. They are small/modest, but not cramped. There were NO odors. There are basic amenities (TV, microwave, etc) but you're paying a basic charge. Note that the charge includes breakfast. Yes - again, it's modest, but also pretty standard for a Days Inn. The dining area is cramped, but again, this is a budget hotel, not The Ritz.

Both weekends I booked the Days Inn Ridgefield the Days Inn in Manhatten was charging $225 a night. Your choice.

Both my high school students and my wife agreed this hotel was better than what they expected after they read reviews on trip Advisors. Two very different audiences; both equally tough critics!

The approach to the hotel is rather inconvenient and involves making a U-turn around the route to the other side of the road. The up side for the budget conscious traveler is that this gives you access to gas stations with some of the cheapest prices on the East Coast. Fill up your tank, make the turn, and your home.

I felt completely safe around the hotel and both visits provided economical, delicious dinners just a short drive from the hotel. Chinese, Thai, Indian food - it's all good. Save's more money for the Big Night Out in NC that you're planning.

Raj, the manager, and his staff were always kind to me (and my students) and always had a smile. Maybe these other folks caught them on a bad day. But for me, this Days Inn makes more visits to The City possible. I plan on staying here again.

RATING - Average for its class; better than other reviewers said.

SUMMARY - For its price, it can't be beat. If you're travelling in jeans and a sport shirt it's great. If your wearing Versace, you may want to look somewhere else.

• Liked — Room rate and fairly close proximately to New York
  • Disliked — The need for U-turns to access the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank garyokeNh_Vt
balls
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2007

First off, the picture is much nicer than the hotel actually is, the rooms are small and one of the 4 my group reserved smelled like fish.
A small problem but annoying nonetheless. Not 15 minutes upon our arrival one of the people in our group was carrying the remaining luggage to the room and his hands were full, he used his foot in place
of his hand to knock on the door to be let in. The manager, or whoever
he was, happened to see this and before a word was spoken about the situation he knocks on the door and says "You kicked my door I'm calling the cops". I had about 5 seconds to respond before he said it again and turned to walk away. I got his attention again and my friend
and i attempted to calm him down. We eventually did but he kept telling us how many problems we were causing and he ended up charging us an extra 17 dollars for having 17 people within 4 rooms. (1 over the limit) Overall the manager treated us like a bunch of post prom high-schoolers who were trashing the place. He made it clear he did not like us and even when the situation was "resolved" he still treated us like criminals and didn't seem to want our business. A horrible way to treat customers who just spent over 550 dollars on 4 rooms each worth about 50 bucks a night.

• Liked — there was a tv
  • Disliked — the manager treated us like we were bad people and was an all around jerk on a power trip
  • Stayed November 2007
1 Thank baIIs
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

I had a bad experience staying at this hotel from 28 July to 4 August 2007.
The room was small and dirty and the hall outside the room was hot and had a terrible smell of urine all the time.
The photos look good when you see the hotel from outside and it has a large free parking area, but is better to park your car there and stay in it.
Breakfast had bread+butter+and kid orage packs and nothing else you can eat and the space for eating was for 4-5 persons.
Everyone in the office was pakistani or indian and they had nothing or little to tell you if you were asking something.
Not recomended at all, even for my worst enemy.

• Liked — None
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed August 2007
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

We traveled outside of New York City to this hotel, nearby a wedding that a group of us were attending. We only stayed one evening, but everything about this hotel was horrible. They messed up our reservations, and were extremely unaccomodating about helping us understand the problem, and then did not solve it until midnight. The staff were not polite and had a difficult time communicating to all of us on a variety of situations. Also, they did not tell many of us about breakfast, and when we showed up early in the morning, many of the items were gone and not replaced. Due to the location of the hotel, directly off of an on-ramp to a very busy road, it was difficult to find. Also, the surrounding landscape and parking lot of the hotel were unclean and smelled foul. The windows in the rooms were tiny, as were the rooms themselves. We just kept the windows closed and used the air conditioner. It does look as though they are remodeling many of the rooms, and our bathroom was very sufficient. However, remodeling cannot make up for the difficulties in communication and lack of interpersonal skills necessary to make guests feel welcome within the hotel.

• Liked — Convienence
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Enschede
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

The room in this hotel was okay but very small. Nice to have a fridge and mircowave. The rooms were clean. But this hotel also had many flaws. The wireless internet did not work without a cable. The hotel may be at a walking distance to a bus stop to NYC, but you have to risk your life to reach it, walking on the shoulder of the highway. For a hotel with 59 rooms, six chairs in the breakfast area is not nearly sufficient. Supplying coffee and sufficient toilet paper is not a routine in this hotel. The towels were rather small too. In all, it won't hurt you to stay here but if you have other options in this area, consider them first. We will not likely stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing in particular
  • Disliked — Complicated public transportation to NYC
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2007

This is a well located, basic hotel, with some nice extras, like the fridge and microwave in each room. However the staff are not helpful. The room they put me in would not lock from the outside (i.e, you could just push it open without a key). This is a mechanical fault that could happen in the best hotels, and I don't really blame them for it. What I do blame them for is that they dismissed my concerns about room security, and it was after 11:00pm before they agreed to put me in a room that would lock, and that was a smoking room (I don't smoke).

No willingness to upgrade to a better room, no willingness to compensate for a sub-standard stay.

If the staff and management would be responsive to guest needs this would be a good value, modest hotel. As it is, I say avoid it.

• Liked — Room extras (microwave and fridge).
  • Disliked — Unhelpfull staff.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgefield
Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park
#3 of 6 in Fort Lee
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Holiday Inn GW Bridge-Fort Lee NYC Area
Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe

Been to Days Inn Ridgefield NJ? Share your experiences!