“Good but not great”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
Banff
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days over Easter 2013, visiting family. It served our needs well, as we were often at relatives' homes for meals.

The breakfast staff was courteous and helpful, the food was good, and the river view is wonderful. The decor of the bedroom is blah modern grey. The beds are comfortable, and the pillows are great.

It does seem to be a sleepy hotel on weekdays, and it perks up on weekends. But for a family out and about, the location, the view and the service worked for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Oyster Point Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Divanina,

Thank you so much for your reivew! We take great pride in providing modern, upscale accommodations in a magnificent setting along the Navesink River, paired with outstanding service. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. If there is anything we could have done to make your stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at: agreene@mollypitcher-oysterpoint.com. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed there for 8 nights. I seemed to be an imposition to them. When, on check-in my room key didn't work, it took the front desk lady 15 minutes to get someone to watch the desk while she accompanied me to show me how the key works. Much to her surprise, she found that it wasn't me - IT WAS THE KEY! Left me standing in the hall for another 15 minutes while she tried to find what she needed to re-key the lock.

Their normal business is high-margin weekenders. Not business travelers. On the weekend, they took over the parking lot for their "valet parking" for their wedding reception guests. I was forced to park across the street.

A perfect example of customer service is when I asked if they had a laundromat. The answer was "No." Not, "No, but there's one a block down the street." Not, "No, but we can send it out for you." Just, "No."

The room was done in a motif that was probably modern ten years ago. Now it just looks silly. Bathroom was mediocre. No work space. Thermostat seemed to be there for show. It did nothing to keep the room comfortable.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms that face the Hwy 35 bridge. It's like living on a freeway overpass. Very...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Oceansmith,

Thank you so much for your candid review. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Oyster Point Hotel. We take great pride in providing excellent service, comfortable accommodations and a superb location along the Navesink River.

I have shared your comments with my staff and will ensure that these issues do not happen again. We recently upgraded our guest room door locks to RFID keys, which are much easier to use than the system we previously had. I have reviewed with my staff how best to handle this and other situations, especially as it pertains to the incident you had regarding the laundry service. Rest assured that this will not happen again.

As for the parking situation, I am very sorry that you had to park across the street. We do provide complimentary valet service when we have large events. This service is for both our hotel guests as well as for guests attending the events at that given time. The valet drivers would park your car and then move close to the hotel it later in the evening once other guests had left. Again, I apologize for this inconvenience.

Thank you so much staying with us and for your feedback. Should I be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed for four nights end of July 2012. The original room booked was not what we had asked for. We wanted a bathtub and were told there was one in the room and there was not. So, after moderate amount of discussion, we were moved to a suite an upper floor (because only room with a tub). The views were lovely and room very spacious. However, there were a number of issues: safe was halfway off wall, no makeup mirror, almost no hangers, outdoor furniture very dirty, tables sticky, etc. The room also had a slight mildewy smell. One of the more disconcerting issues, though, was the noisiness at night due to weddings on two of four nights. The restaurant and bar were very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Oyster Point Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review. I am disappointed that we did not live up to your expectations for service at the Oyster Point Hotel.

The only rooms that do not have tubs are our South Suites. These have stand-up only showers. From your review we moved you to our largest suite, the North Suite, which has one and a half bathrooms, one of which has a tub.

Our safes are not mounted on the wall, but are instead, located on a shelf in the closet. I have shared your comments regarding the safe in one of our North Suites to our Maintenance staff to look into. We do not provide makeup mirrors in any of our guest rooms, however it is definitely a valid suggestion and one I will speak with upper management about.

We are currently working on repairing the balconies to our North Suites. They will be completely redone with new decking to ensure an enjoyable experience. I am terribly sorry that the deck furniture was dirty during your stay and will review with our housekeeping managemet to double check the decks daily.

Thank you again for staying with us. It would be our pleasure to serve you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact, should I be of any further assistance. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

For the past five or six years, (once a year), I have taken time away "just for myself"...someplace close (I have aging parents) but someplace that makes me feel far from my everyday life (I am a school counselor)...I stayed at the Oyster Point a couple of years ago, after attending a concert at The Count Basie Theater, but due to some medical issues, was unable to return for my overnight/weekend retreat for two years...when the hotel announced it was "reopening" after damage caused by Super-Storm Sandy, I knew I wanted to return...this time my sister (also an educator) accompanied me, after attending a play at Two River Theater...we checked in, staying in separate bedrooms...both rooms had a wall of windows facing the Navensink River, with a magnificent view (especially in the morning when the sun rises)...my sister was very impressed (as was I, even on my second visit) with the very comfortable king size bed with 9 plush (yep, we counted them) pillows...the hotel felt safe, peaceful, and very clean...the staff was not only professional but exceptionally pleasant and courteous...Our stay at the Oyster Point made us feel like we had taken a long luxurious vacation, when in reality in was only within an hour's drive from our homes...we will return next year...
PS...my husband says I return from these mini-vacations very refreshed...always a plus for him...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Oyster Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review! I am delighted to hear that you stay at the Oyster Point Hotel as your annual retreat! Our luxurious accommodations, amazing views and stellar service help to create an oasis for all of our guests.

I have shared your comments with our staff and they are thrilled that you came back after our reopening to relax and rejuvenate! We look forward to your next visit with us and hope that you'll come back before the year is over.

Thank you again for staying with us. Should I be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Piscataway, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I’ve attended several functions at Oyster Point in the last year (and stayed overnight one time), and what stands out most is the view – it’s absolutely gorgeous. From the dining room as well as the ballrooms, there is a clear, unobstructed and stunning view of the Navesink River. In warmer weather, it’s particularly enjoyable to take a walk along the pathway adjoining the water right outside. An outdoor patio runs along the entire length of the ballrooms (also along the water), which is an added bonus. The staff is very helpful and welcoming, the hotel rooms clean and pleasantly decorated, and any events hosted at Oyster Point are well run. The only drawback, and this is on the slight side, is that I can’t quite give the food an excellent rating & this seems consistent with the 4 or 5 meals I have eaten here. Their standard event appetizer which is a seafood salad with hearts of palm is tasty and beautifully presented, as is the standard desert – a warm brownie served with ice cream. However the main courses have just been okay. The latest one I had, tilapia, while presented well, tasted a bit too fishy and fell flat. Yet the overall experience of the Oyster Point (again – the outstanding view!!) can’t be much tarnished by the just above average food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Oyster Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We take great pride in providing a fantastic location for events as well as comfortable and contemporary guest rooms and superior service. The view from the Oyster Point Hotel is quite stunning - the Navesink River and downtown Red Bank make for quite a backdrop to any occassion.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the event you attended. I have shared your comments with our staff and they are thrilled to have pleased you so. I have also shared your comments regarding the food with our Executive Chef to review and make changes. We appreciate your candor as we continously strive to improve our service.

Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. In the interim we remain, as always, at your service.

Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Upon arrival at the property on Saturday, March 2 were well greeting by the front desk. I did like the decor and the bar area overlooking the river was well done.

The rooms were quite nice you could tell the decor was recently updated, and clean, comfortable beds, nice pillows and I loved the soaps/shampoo.

I stayed at the hotel with my two sons, we had to get up on Sunday morning at 5:30am. We went to bed at 9:00pm. Called the front desk at 10:00 pm because we could no longer take the noise. THere was a wedding party that had a live band, not certain where they were in the hotel , but we were on the 3rd floor. Our floor vibrated, the music was so loud and clear that my son was singing the lyrics. When I called the front desk the woman said they will end at 11:00pm and will ask them to turn the sound down. Yeah right! She offered to move us to another room. Really? It is 10pm we are in bed do you think we wanted to change room.

If you are a hotel, you are a hotel where people pay to get a good nights sleep. If you are a banquet facility then people pay to have a party and celebrate. The two do not mix well together, my suggestion is you need to decide which of the two you are, otherwise you will eventually lose repeat business.

Please if you do book ask if they are having a wedding or function, then go elsewhere if you want to sleep!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TD152
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Oyster Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the view from your room during your stay. We take great pride in providing our guests with comfortable and contemporary guest rooms and superior service in a beautiful setting along the Navesink River.

I am very disappointed to hear that you were disturbed by noise from a wedding party in the ballroom below you. Rest assured, we do everything we can to ensure that wedding guests are put into the rooms directly above the ballroom however, there are times that this is not possible based on how many (or how few) wedding guests are staying overnight in the hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this caused you. This is not the caliber of service we strive to Provide at the Oyster Point Hotel.

Thank you again for staying with us. If you wish to discuss your stay with me in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at: agreene@mollypitcher-oysterpoint.com. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Everett, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

All in all it was a good place to stay .... ppl were 10 out of 10 .... Food was 8.5 out of 10 ... view was nice from the room. nice recovery from sandy .. the only part i was not likeing to much was the room itself. more like motel 6 with a veiw. Was exspecting more for 200 bucks a nite. But it did have 11 pillows on the bed and a shower head that would blast the hide off of you. Don't know what the 600 buck a nite rooms look like ... but i will get the 100 buck room next time. Don't think it would be much difernt than the one i had.... I still will stay there again tho .... Good service is hard to find..... carl mcbee

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Oyster Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your candid review! We take great pride in providing upscale accommodations with stunning views of the Navesink River and gracious hospitality. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with.

I am disappointed to hear that you do not like the decor of the guest rooms. They were recently renovated in 2009 to reflect a more modern, contemporary decor. While I know this decor may not please everyone, it does reflect the overall look and feel of the Oyster Point Hotel.

Thank you again for staying with us! I look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Red Bank
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Extended Stay America - Red Bank - Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Blue Bay Inn
Blue Bay Inn
#1 of 1 in Atlantic Highlands

Been to Oyster Point Hotel? Share your experiences!