“Molly Pitcher Inn - Worn Out”
Review of Molly Pitcher Inn

Molly Pitcher Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
Reviewed December 25, 2006

This hotel has 1970's written all over it....as in not updated since the 70's! Here are some things to beware of, my room was in the basement:

All steps to the basement, three flights and about a 500 yard walk....I'm 30 years old, and by the time I got there I was out of breath and sweating! You'll have to repeat on the way out!!

Room is old and outdated, heater is either cold or earth core magma hot. So I left it cold. Carpet is worn and old, looks like something left over from the Carter Administration. There was mold and pubic hairs all over the bathroom, I was totally grossed out and didn't want to touch anything. (The water pressure was good in the shower though) The towels were like sandpaper and I they gave me the feeling of having windburn all over my body.

The internet situation is terrible and an embarrassment for a business class hotel. You have to pay a ridiculous amount for it, and it's all wireless, no Cat 5 hookups here (remember, think Carter Administration)

Restaurant is really expensive and not good, I felt like I was beaten with a bat when I got a $150.00 dollar bill for a pot pie and a few beers with three traveling companions.

I stayed here for business because it's a recommended hotel for our company, but believe me, this is the last time old Molly Pitcher is going to knock me for a loop.

Oh, and the mini muffins and free coffee in the morning.....puhlease....why bother?

Avoid this place unless it's a last option.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank cheetahlip

Reviewed October 28, 2006

This was our third stay at this property. Our last minute decision to book a weekend room, yielded "the hotel is booked". I called back on Thursday at 3 PM to check for cancellations. Someone did cancel and I took the king size bedded room at $179, less $10 for AARP.

Room # 121 on lowest level, has an incredible amount of steps to get to and from, but it was basically pleasant.

The following morning while getting ready to shower, the white tile bathroom floor had several long multi legged bugs or caterpillers which I proceeded to kill, without telling my wife. My silence prevented ruining what otherwise would have been a nice stay.

The maid winced when I told her of the insects and the front desk clerk said "OOOH" when I told her. Nothing else was said, not even "Sorry!"

A nice touch is complimentary morning coffee in the lobby with mini muffins.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank penguinitis
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We had a few problems but overall it was ok.

When we first checked in, we headed up to the third floor where we found one bed~~we had booked a room with two doubles. So, we had to traips down to the lobby with all our stuff and explain we needed a room with two doubles. They never even apologized for their mistake. They just handed us keys to a new room and the attitude was, "don't let the elevator hit you on the way out of the lobby."

Our room was in the basement, but I have to say it was very clean. Not an ounce of mold or dirt in the bathtub which is a major plus for me!
The beds were less than comfortable and there were no extra ammenities. The pool was clean and our kids loved it. We had breakfast one morning there. It was delicious but extremely pricey!

Would I stay there again? I'm not sure.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank onevatraveler
Reviewed May 7, 2006

This hotel is just okay - not special to stay at. The views from the new rooms in the Navesink section are nice. However, there are not extra anemities or any extras in the room - no shower caps even! There are definate areas that need to be worked on. I made my reservation a year in advance for a wedding and they did not have it when I called a month inadvance to make a new one. I even had the email and the person's name who made it. When I checked in, there was another couple there who also had their reservation lost and they did not get a room - after an hour's wait- as the hotel was filled. Breakfast isn't available until 8 AM which is a problem if you want to leave early - no room service before then either. We used valet parking and when we wanted to leave, the valet service was closed and din't open until 11 AM. There was a safe in the closet but no lock or instructions. When I went to inquire, they said they have to give you a lock and key which wasn't mentioned at checkin. They don't seem to have their act together as far as a hotel! The wedding, though, was lovely and the food was good! I have to compliment them with that but their hotel needs improvement! I would not stay here again unless I was attending a function there.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Missshopper
Pittsburgh Pa.
Reviewed November 29, 2005

The smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a motel or hotel. A heating vent that made so much noise I had to turn it off to have a conversation. Cold air coming in through the windows, but not colder than the attitude of the desk clerk that checked us in. An absolute ripoff. Do not waste your money at this overrated hotel!

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta GA
Reviewed July 30, 2005

On a recent househunting trip we stayed at the Molly Pitcher Inn and were greatly disappointed with the accomodations. After we checked in with a barely courteous staff, we made our way down, way down, to the couple of rooms we had reserved. Yes, it is true the lobby was nice, so was the lounge, room service, and the view, but it ended there. The rooms smelled old, had various stains throughout, and were not any cleaner than maybe a budget hotel room. The a/c unit was extremely noisy, the walls were paper thin, and the outside patio was too dirty to sit on. I had hopes of finding a nice place for family and friends to stay while visiting but this is definitely not the place.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore
Reviewed January 10, 2005

I spent one night in the Molly Pitcher Inn while visiting Red Bank for business. It's probably the best choice in the area but definitely hit and miss.

The location is great, especially if as I did you get a room with a river view. I was in the newer Navesink wing and the room itself was more than adequate, though I gather that many rooms in the older wing are small. My king room was at least the size of a typical Hilton or Sheraton room and the furnishings were quite lovely in a colonial style. It was nice to come back after a night time meeting and find the bed turned down and chocolates on the pillow.

Negatives: bed and pillows were uncomfortable though not terrible. The heater in the room was noisy (as others have noted) and cycled on and off so it was hard to get used to. The ice maker was also noisy though I did not hear it as I was at the other end of the hall. The floor where I stayed had no elevator access and it would have been unpleasant to lug more than a night's worth of luggage.

Plus: very nice staff. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was excellent and, while not cheap, was less than one would likely pay in a national chain of equivalent standards.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Molly Pitcher Inn? Share your experiences!