“Caterpillers in the bathroom”
Review of Molly Pitcher Inn

Molly Pitcher Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
Reviewed October 28, 2006

This was our third stay at this property. Our last minute decision to book a weekend room, yielded "the hotel is booked". I called back on Thursday at 3 PM to check for cancellations. Someone did cancel and I took the king size bedded room at $179, less $10 for AARP.

Room # 121 on lowest level, has an incredible amount of steps to get to and from, but it was basically pleasant.

The following morning while getting ready to shower, the white tile bathroom floor had several long multi legged bugs or caterpillers which I proceeded to kill, without telling my wife. My silence prevented ruining what otherwise would have been a nice stay.

The maid winced when I told her of the insects and the front desk clerk said "OOOH" when I told her. Nothing else was said, not even "Sorry!"

A nice touch is complimentary morning coffee in the lobby with mini muffins.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank penguinitis

Reviewed August 14, 2006

We had a few problems but overall it was ok.

When we first checked in, we headed up to the third floor where we found one bed~~we had booked a room with two doubles. So, we had to traips down to the lobby with all our stuff and explain we needed a room with two doubles. They never even apologized for their mistake. They just handed us keys to a new room and the attitude was, "don't let the elevator hit you on the way out of the lobby."

Our room was in the basement, but I have to say it was very clean. Not an ounce of mold or dirt in the bathtub which is a major plus for me!
The beds were less than comfortable and there were no extra ammenities. The pool was clean and our kids loved it. We had breakfast one morning there. It was delicious but extremely pricey!

Would I stay there again? I'm not sure.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank onevatraveler
Reviewed May 7, 2006

This hotel is just okay - not special to stay at. The views from the new rooms in the Navesink section are nice. However, there are not extra anemities or any extras in the room - no shower caps even! There are definate areas that need to be worked on. I made my reservation a year in advance for a wedding and they did not have it when I called a month inadvance to make a new one. I even had the email and the person's name who made it. When I checked in, there was another couple there who also had their reservation lost and they did not get a room - after an hour's wait- as the hotel was filled. Breakfast isn't available until 8 AM which is a problem if you want to leave early - no room service before then either. We used valet parking and when we wanted to leave, the valet service was closed and din't open until 11 AM. There was a safe in the closet but no lock or instructions. When I went to inquire, they said they have to give you a lock and key which wasn't mentioned at checkin. They don't seem to have their act together as far as a hotel! The wedding, though, was lovely and the food was good! I have to compliment them with that but their hotel needs improvement! I would not stay here again unless I was attending a function there.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Missshopper
Pittsburgh Pa.
Reviewed November 29, 2005

The smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a motel or hotel. A heating vent that made so much noise I had to turn it off to have a conversation. Cold air coming in through the windows, but not colder than the attitude of the desk clerk that checked us in. An absolute ripoff. Do not waste your money at this overrated hotel!

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta GA
Reviewed July 30, 2005

On a recent househunting trip we stayed at the Molly Pitcher Inn and were greatly disappointed with the accomodations. After we checked in with a barely courteous staff, we made our way down, way down, to the couple of rooms we had reserved. Yes, it is true the lobby was nice, so was the lounge, room service, and the view, but it ended there. The rooms smelled old, had various stains throughout, and were not any cleaner than maybe a budget hotel room. The a/c unit was extremely noisy, the walls were paper thin, and the outside patio was too dirty to sit on. I had hopes of finding a nice place for family and friends to stay while visiting but this is definitely not the place.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore
Reviewed January 10, 2005

I spent one night in the Molly Pitcher Inn while visiting Red Bank for business. It's probably the best choice in the area but definitely hit and miss.

The location is great, especially if as I did you get a room with a river view. I was in the newer Navesink wing and the room itself was more than adequate, though I gather that many rooms in the older wing are small. My king room was at least the size of a typical Hilton or Sheraton room and the furnishings were quite lovely in a colonial style. It was nice to come back after a night time meeting and find the bed turned down and chocolates on the pillow.

Negatives: bed and pillows were uncomfortable though not terrible. The heater in the room was noisy (as others have noted) and cycled on and off so it was hard to get used to. The ice maker was also noisy though I did not hear it as I was at the other end of the hall. The floor where I stayed had no elevator access and it would have been unpleasant to lug more than a night's worth of luggage.

Plus: very nice staff. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was excellent and, while not cheap, was less than one would likely pay in a national chain of equivalent standards.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati
Reviewed December 8, 2004

Lets see, where to start?

Upon arrival at the Molly Pitcher, the lobby was quite impressive. Has the look of a grand hotel from another century (which it is). After checking in and getting my key (funky swiss cheese looking peice of plastic) I squeezed into the elevator and went up to find my room on the second floor.

I didn't have to go far from the elevator, it was right there. Nor would I have to walk far to the icemachine, as the noisy little sucker was right there too. And should I have needed to access the noisy utility room, it was only two steps away as well. Opening the door, I did a double take. This is one of the smallest hotel rooms I've ever seen in my life! Two twin beds barely left a path to walk in front of them. Clearly this wouldn't do ( I was planning to stay the week).

The front desk was kind enough to give me a room downstairs. I enquired about internet access while I was at it, and was told that for only $10/day (!) they have wireless access in all rooms. How convenient! I took issue with the price (its usually at least built into the room rate!) but was told that was the way it is.

Down the stairs I go to my new room. As soon as my feet hit the landing, I was greeted with a "musty basement" smell. This pretty much permeated the whole floor. The room itself was much bigger (standard hotel room size) than the first, but lit very poorly. This isn't usually an issue, but as the previous reviewer stated, you have to turn the heat lamp on in the bathroom (plan ahead, its on a timer!) to be able to see what you're doing. Also as one of the previous reviewers stated, the beds and pillows are quite hard, though I had no trouble sleeping on them.

So, to sum up:

Pluses include Location (great bar accross the street, and the view is great), wireless internet, old hotel charm and atmosphere

Minuses include old hotel atmosphere (musty smell on lower levels), some rooms are quite small, restaraunt requires a jacket and tie, internet access is outragously expensive, some rooms are poorly lit with hard beds and pillows.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Blue Bay Inn
Blue Bay Inn
#1 of 1 in Atlantic Highlands
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#1 of 1 in Middletown

Been to Molly Pitcher Inn? Share your experiences!