“LOVED IT Great place to stay”
Review of Molly Pitcher Inn

Molly Pitcher Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
Reviewed August 13, 2013

After a very long trip from SC we arrived at The Inn it was beautiful and check in was a breeze we were on the second floor very convenient to elevator or stairs. Room was clean and just what I expected for being a older hotel that has been renovated. I see other guests have written about the rooms being small they are just fine for a weekend stay for me or longer. My uncles got married there on Saturday the wedding was amazing and the staff was AMAZING cant say enough food was good. We had dinner Friday night in the bar area had the Turkey Pannini was very good. I loved that the Inn was close walk to the downtown area Parked the car on Fri did not move it till Sun. I hope to get back one day but I will recommend this for everyone. The beds were very comfortable and to my amazement had 6 very fluffy pillows on each bed I was in heaven

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear LeeLee,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review! We take great pride in providing comfortable accommodations in an historic Inn, along the beautiful Navesink River - and within walking distance to downtown Red Bank. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have shared your comments with our staff and they are thrilled to have had the opportunity to serve you. We look forward to your next visit with us. In the interim we remain, as always, at your service.

There are newer reviews for Molly Pitcher Inn

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived at the Molly Pitcher after a long drive down from New England highly anticipating our stay at this lovely waterfront hotel that we found on the internet. The front desk checked us in and when the bellhop came to our car to get our luggage he informed us that our cooler would not be allowed into the hotel. OK, so I guess if your a diabetic you can go scratch. We got into the lobby and he told us to walk down the two flights of stairs and our room was on the lower level and there was no elevator down to our floor. What? My sister has severe arthritis and knee issue but bravely tackled the stairs downward. We were shown into this dark, dreary room with a small vertical window up high on the wall which let in very little light. We immediately asked Where is the balcony? We had ordered the Navesink double with balcony, not a cheap room I might add. My husband then goes back up two flights of stairs while we sit there surrounded by luggage (but not our cooler) until he comes down and says our room has been changed and it is down the hall. So now we get a room with a small balcony and somewhere behind this massive hedge is the Navesink river. I am not sure as I can not see anything. We figure we will have a nice dinner but then are informed that my husband cannot go into the dining room as he does not have a jacket. We are on a long term vacation covering many hundreds of miles and the last think we are packing is a dinner jacket. Now we are told we must get back in the car and go off property to eat. We could not find a refrigerator in the room so we call and are told one can be brought in but it will cost us $15. The next morning we dare to even ask about eating breakfast there as I had not packed my ballgown and tiara so we once again get in the car and go out in search of food. While we were out at breakfast we decided to take a drive down to Asbury Park but first called to ask that our checkout be delayed for an hour as we were unsure how long it would take to get there and back We were told that we must check out on time and no extensions would be granted. So we abandoned our sightseeing plans and went back to the hotel to pack. Well, now there is a maids cart blocking our door while the maid is in the room next door. Pretty shoddy. We push the cart aside and go to pack up. Since we spent so much time in the parking lot we realized that there was a road off the parking lot that ran down to the fishing pier and if we drove our car down there we could wheel our luggage out of door by our room and not have to drag our suitcases back up two flights of stairs. By now my sister had totally shut down and could not walk up anyway. We bring our suitcases to the end of the lot and I go get the car and bring it down and as we are loading out suitcases into the car some kid from the hotel comes and asks us if we are going on the fishing boats. I tell him that we are loading luggage so we don't have to walk up two flights of stairs and he goes, well you cannot park here. I said, the car is running and we are loading our cases and we will be done in a couple of minutes. We are not blocking anyone and we are leaving as soon as we are done. Then he goes, well my manager is going to come over if I don't kick you out. Of course by now we are all loaded and I tell him if his manager has a problem then he should come himself and I'll be glad to talk to him. We were never so happy to see the Molly Pitcher in our rear view mirror. That evening my sister realized she left her mouth guard in the hotel room. For the next six days she calls every day and keeps being sent to the housekeeping areas voice mail system. No one returns her calls. The seventh day she somehow get a supervisor and the supervisor tells her there is nothing in the room. Duh!! It's been a week, do you really think it would be there? Why couldn't someone look the first day??? My husband and I travel extensively and have never seen such a lack of customer service and such snooty attitudes in our lives.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for. Obviously they want to shove anything at you hoping you do...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Gale C

Dear Gale C,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear about your impression of our hotel. This is not the caliber of service that we strive to provide at the Molly Pitcher Inn.

I am terribly sorry that your sister had to struggle through two flights of stairs during your entire stay. We do have rooms that are accessible by elevator. If we had been aware of your sister's needs, we would have done everything in our power to accommodate her. Due to the historic nature of the Molly Pitcher Inn, we have quite a few rooms that are not accessible by an elevator. We are aware that this can be an inconvenience to some guests and do our best to accommodate those with specific needs.

As for the Dining Room, we require the men to wear a jacket on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings for dinner. If guests do not have a jacket, we have them available at the front desk for guests to borrow. Again, I am very sorry that you were not informed that we had jackets available and felt that you had to leave the hotel. During all other times in our dining room, there are no dress code requirements.

I have shared your comments regarding our lost and found department and their not calling you back after you left several messages. I have checked with our housekeeping director who informed me that she had played phone tag with your sister for about a week and even moved the furniture in your room to see if perhaps the mouth guard was hiding behind or beneath a piece of furniture. Again, I apologize that we did not find the mouth guard.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should I be of any further assistance. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Ok, let me preface this by saying we are not strictly first class travelers but we do travel frequently.

Arriving at the hotel, we were initially impressed. We were greeted by friendly valet attendants and a cheerful and welcoming receptionist. The check in receptionist gave us our keys and told us our room was on the 4th floor in room 408, and that we could take the elevator behind us. So, we get in the elevator with another guest and notice that there is no button for the 4th floor so instead of holding the other guests up we just go to the third floor and decide walk to the 4th. The kicker is come to find out...there is no elevator to the 4th floor. You actually have to do exactly what we did. Now if we were staying at a bed and breakfast type place, you would expect to be walking a flight of stairs not here.

The "standard" room is where everything just falls apart, opening the room door gives us access to somebody's walk in closet with a too big for the room queen size bed. To give you an idea, I would say the room dimensions were approximately 10 x 8. The room size did not allow for more than 1 person to walk between the wall and the foot of the bed. In a normal hotel room you would expect the tv to be at the base of the bed so you could actually watch it, not in this room. The tv was on a small dresser on the side of the bed which made it impossible to watch with 2 people in the bed.

The bathroom had a odor of mold to it which added to the experience.

Now the bed part... We arrive back to the room after attending the wedding we were staying at the hotel for and go to move the pillows and 2 bugs scurry from under the pillows to behind the bed and a 3rd is dead.

So at 2am we decide we had enough and check out and drive home.

I believe most reviews get caught up in the charm and history at the Molly Pitcher, and people forget that you are paying for a room and the charm and history should be a bonus to the room. If you read the other reviews people do address the room sizes but focus on the common areas and the overall atmosphere of the Molly Pitcher which are indeed nice.

Good Luck to you if you are planning a stay at this place, I hope your stay was better than ours.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken L

Dear RealtorKen,

Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Molly Pitcher Inn. This is not the caliber of service we strive to provide to our guests.

Rest assured, I have shared your comments with our staff and they are instructed to inform all guests staying on our fourth floor that the elevator only goes to the third floor and that there is a flight of stairs up to the fourth. I apologize that this did not happen and you were left unaware of how to get to your room.

The Molly Pitcher Inn was built in 1928 and the rooms are quite small by today's comparisons. Our owners have done an exceptional job maintaining the historical integrity of the building, and have therefore kept all of the rooms in their original size and configuration. I am sure you can imagine the challenges this poses as we try to accommodate our guest's needs while maintaining the historical charm of the Molly Pitcher Inn. We do have rooms of various sizes, many of which are more in line with today's standards.

I recall speaking with you regarding the bugs you found in the room and the smell in the bathroom. We have had an exterminator come to resolve the issue and identified the bugs as gnats and the room has been treated. I have also shared your comments regarding the smell in the bathroom to our housekeeping manager and the matter has been taken care of. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My friend spoke highly of Molly Pitcher and was excited to take me to lunch. I was a little hesitant since the clientele walking into this historic landmark were of the white gloved, blue blooded type.
The two of us were casually dressed and I feared that we would run into a snobbish staff. No worries, everyone was extremely gracious, courteous and professional.
Molly Pitcher Inn’s dining room is elegant and formal with red tufted chairs, white linens and beautiful crystal chandeliers. We were promptly seated at a table near the window with a lovely view of the Navesink River.
We started lunch with the Atlantic Chowder, a chowder made with Maine lobster and potatoes in a corn chowde. It was absolutely delicious. My friend was disappointed at the lack of lobster in her soup. It was immediately replaced with chowder that was copiously filled with lobster and corn. I had no problems with my soup and if I could have licked my bowl, I would have.
For entrees, I ordered the beef short ribs over shitake mushroom risotto and my friend had the jumbo lump crab cakes over celeriac salad and rémoulade . There are no words to describe how wonderful are meal was. The short ribs were tender and flavorful, the crab cakes divine.
We finished our meal with dessert, death by chocolate cake. Need I say more?
Our server was pleasant, efficient and delightful. Overall, a wonderful dining experience. I wish I lived closer, I would dine here every week.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank restless572

Dear Restless,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We take great pride in providing the best in fine dining at the Molly Pitcher Inn Dining Room, from superior culinary selections, a spectacular view, and hospitable service. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your lunch with us.

I have shared your comments with our Chef and our Food and Beverage Manager as well as the staff in the Dining Room. They are thrilled to have had the opportunity to serve you and we all look forward to our next opportunity to do so. In the interim we remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here twice and would return. This is a first class hotel in every sense. Our room was lovely with a view of the marina and Navesink River. The food was delicious, the drinks fortifying! We were able to walk to another restaurant on our second night. Friendly staff. Lots of amenities. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Get a river view room! You won't be sorry.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Catowner,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review! I am delighted to hear that both of your stays with us have been fantastic! We take great pride in providing comfortable accommodations in an historic setting along the Navesink River, paired with superior service.

I have shared your comments with our staff and they are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much that you plan to return. We all look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. In the interim we remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Have just spent six nights at the Molly. Had a standard room which although small is perfectly adequate. Extremely comfy bed and really nice soft towels. Ate in the bar a few times and food was excellent, really tasty and good value. Loved the pool overlooking the river/marina. Staff from reception to bar and house keeping cannot be faulted. Only small complaint would be that the complimentary coffee in the lobby was not very strong but all in all and great stay. On my next business trip to NJ I will definitely stay at the Molly but will request a room by the river with a balcony

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jowm,

Thank you so much for your very kind review! We take great pride in providing superior service, excellent culinary options, and comfortable accommodations. I am delighted to hear that we not only met, but exceeded, your expectations.

I have shared your comments with the staff and they are thrilled to have had the opportunity to serve you. We all look forward to your next visit with us. In the interim we remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My girl and I stayed at the Pitcher for a wedding that was up the street. We love going to first class hotels. We were running late and did not want to drive up the street to the wedding. We asked the young lady to call us a car service while she checked us in. She was awesome about it and gave us service's card for later. The staff there was better than just professional or courteous, they are sincere and genuine. The decor is awesome, and you have to stay there at least once just to get a taste of the era the hotel comes from. Part of what we liked is that it is not done-up all modern looking. The place takes you back in time. It is elegant. Don't worry though, you are not sacrificing any comforts. We accidentaly left without checking out and called to explain. We offered to mail the room key back. You could hear the girl on the other end of the phone smiling when she told us not to worry about it and thanked us for staying at the Molly Pitcher. So, the best part... sincere, genuine people that make you feel like they care.

Room Tip: I always ask for quiet rooms and specifically ask not to be in a room near the dumpsters because gar...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Frank,

What a wonderful review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Molly Pitcher Inn! We take great pride in providing comfortable hotels in an historic setting, paired with superior service and hospitality. I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

I have shared your comments with the staff and they are thrilled to have had the opportunity to serve you. We all look forward to your next memorable stay with us. In the interim we remain, as always, at your service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Red Bank
Blue Bay Inn
Blue Bay Inn
#1 of 1 in Atlantic Highlands
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Molly Pitcher Inn? Share your experiences!