“Switched my room”
Review of Molly Pitcher Inn

Molly Pitcher Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked a Navesink king on 8-5-12 for a 11-30 thru 12-1 stay. I paid for a king and expected a large room with a changing area and maybe a balcony. They claimed that their Navesink wing was damaged and put me in a crappy, cramped queen room. They did not apologize or try to make me happy in any way. I asked for a new room, nope. I asked for a credit, nope. No customer service at all and as I result I ate all my meals eslewhere as I did not want them to have one more cent of my money. I will never ever go to any of their properties again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Michelle M
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for having to change your room type. We currently have 20 rooms that are out of order due to flooding from Hurricane Sandy. These are our Navesink Rooms, which you booked. Also, a majority of our guests are local residents that have been displaced from their homes due to damage from the storm and have been extending their stays as our availability allows.

I aplogize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and ask that you contact me directly at 732-747-2500 or via email at agreene@mollypitcher-oysterpoint.com to discuss your stay with us. Once I can locate your specific reservation, I would be more than happy to refund the difference in room rates. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at the Molly Pitcher Inn because our reservation for The Oyster Point Hotel was cancelled due to the damage from Sandy. The rooms were okay but with little personality. Due to the oldness of the establishment you heard every noise in the hall. Constant slamming doors by guests and cleaning staff. The room service menu for dinner was extremely limited but the breakfast menu was quite nice and the food was prepared well. All in all it was not a bad experience but for the money it does not compare to the luxurious feel of the Oyster Point. We stayed in the junior suite which was supposed to be comparable to the South Suite at the Oyster Point. It was not.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gwendolyn S

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your candid review. We take pride in providing luxurious accommodations in a historical setting along the Navesink River and are located just a few blocks from Downtown Red Bank.

I am dissapointed to hear that the noise from other guests and our staff distrubed you during your stay. We have security personnel on site each evening between 9pm and 5am to address any issues that may present during the evening, should other guests become too roudy. As for our housekeeping staff, I have shared your comments with our housekeping director to review with her staff. I am very sorry that we disturbed you in any way and apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

I hope that you will come back to stay with us at the Oyster Point Hotel once we have recovered from the damage. We are projected to reopen very shortly - please stay tuned! In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

What a wonderful experience. I am not sure how old this hotel is; but the age shows. Now that may not be a bad thing if you like that. I enjoyed the feeling this hotel took me back to. It reminded me of my grandmothers house with the glass door knobs, the 12" moldings, the chandelier in the bedroom with the beams on the ceiling. The hallway decor was so warm. This was fantastic. If you are looking for "old fashioned" this is the place to stay. If you want "bling" and "modern" this is not for you. The rooms are clean. The bed is comfortable.
The lobby was decorated for Christmas and with the fireplace going it was like a Christmas special scene.
They say they offer free coffee and muffins in the mornings but the muffins are about the size of a golf ball and there were only 4 in the basket when I went down around 7:30am.
I will stay here again.
The food was a bit on the expensive side and good but not great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We take pride in preserving the historical feel of the Inn, which was built in 1928, along with providing superior service along the Navesink River in Red Bank, NJ. Our hotel is exceptionally beautiful during the holiday season with many guests taking family photos in front of our Christmas Tree and the fire place.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do provide complimentary coffee, tea and mini-muffins each morning in our lobby. The coffee, tea and muffins are replenished throughout the morning to keep items fresh.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I were lucky enough to get a room here during the power outages that plagued the area following Hurricane Sandy. The hotel had its power restored 2 days after the storm (many neighboring areas had to wait another 7-10 days). We experienced a a hotel with a first rate, friendly and accommodating staff and surprisingly good food. Very impressed with the way they rallied around the storm refugees and made the hotel a comforting oasis for our stay. The owners were visible throughout our time there, ensuring all was well. No hint of price gouging or anything to suggest they were committed to nothing but being there for the community. Kudos to you and your staff.

On the more practical side, the rooms are somewhat dated, but still comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms recently refurbished.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt review! We are so thankful to have had only minimal damage from the storm and to have our power restored so quickly so that we may provide comfortable lodging to guests like you who were displaced from their homes.

I have shared your comments with our staff and they are delighted to hear your kind words and were thrilled to have had the opportunity to serve you. We hope that you will come back to stay with us again in the future, on better circumstances, so we may once again have the pleasure to serve you.

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding that was held at this hotel. We booked our room months before the wedding, and wrote down the confirmation # and price when we booked. When we checked in, the price was more than $50 higher than we were told. We tried to argue, but were told that is the price, take it or leave it. It was an out of state wedding, we had no choice. While we were at the front desk, 3 other people had the exact same problem. They were also quoted the same prices we were. They stated that they never charge that amount for a room, never! After a discussion with the 3 of us, the front desk staff let it slip that that is the rate for the next week.
The place was nice, and the rooms were very clean. Our view was the air conditioner on the roof. Not looking down on the roof and seeing the air conditioner, but the actual air conditioner unit in front of the window. There was a small pool with a nice view of the river. All the other staff were very nice and helpful. The food at the wedding was beyond good, and the breakfast the next morning was very good.
When we went to checkout, the person in front of us were upset because the room was higher than quoted. We stated we had the same problem. After going back and forth, they agreed to take $20 off the bill. After we checkout, my wife says something is wrong with the bill. I look at the bill, and they added $20 to the bill. Any other time I would think that it was an honest mistake, not so sure this time. Went back to the desk, and it was corrected.
The place is very nice, and like I said the food was great, and all the other staff we met were great. The front desk staff, not so much.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, and for them to email you a price quote and confirmation #
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid response. While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, I am very dissapointed to hear your frustration regarding your room rate.

Your situation sounds familiar, and I believe it is a simple case of miscommunication. We have many different room types at the Molly Pitcher, all at different room rates. I can understand how easy it is to hear one rate but book a room at another rate. For this very reason, we email all of our guests a confirmation of their reservation so they may review it and make corrections prior to arrival.

From the sound of your review, we have taken care of the situation. If I am incorrect, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at agreene@mollypitcher-oysterpoint.com. I would be happy to rectify your bill for you.

I have shared your comments regarding our banquet services to our staff and the chef - they are thrilled to hear that you had such a great time.

Thank you again for staying with us and again, please do not hesitate to contact me. It would be my pleasure to assist you. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Molly Pitcher is a charming historic inn, so it's not a cookie cutter place where the rooms are much the same. Some rooms are very small, some are spacious. I got a small room overlooking the parking lot, but it was a conference rate, so I wasn't expecting much. The bed was very comfortable, overflowing with pillows. So many pillows that I didn't know where to put them all! The bed would have been too small if I'd been there with my husband. The service was great. What put me off a bit was the variety of quality and authentic feel of the furnishings. I didn't expect all original, but some of them seemed wrong, like the oak furniture in the room I had, or the small chandeliers that looked what one might buy at Home Depot. The furnishings are what makes it hard for me to rate, as I've been to far more impressive historic hotels and inns, like the Mount Washington or the General Sutter. Still, if you're looking for a charming place with great service in Red Bank, then the Molly Pitcher is fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room or one with a harbor view for the best experience.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pjonthego

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the historic Molly Pitcher Inn with our breathtaking views of the Navesink River, superior service and close proximity to downtown Red Bank.

I am dissapointed to hear that you were unhappy with the furnishings in your room. We do our best to keep the period of the hotel with the decor and furnishings, yet to keep the hotel from looking old and drab. I have shared your comments with our management team for further review when we look to replace the guest room furniture.

We greatly appreciate your staying with us and hope that you will come back and see us in the near future. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been to the Molly Pitcher for wedding..and corprate and political functions and have really been please but today I went there for lunch with friends. we were a group of 5. The place was very busy. The service and food was wonderful! The view of the boats overlooking the Navesink was so pretty too! Parking in Red Bank can be ver y difficult but not here. They have plenty of parking and valet parking too. You might want to try eating here while in Red Bank for a change

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

What a fantastic review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in our Dining Room! We take pride in providing superb cuisine and service in an elegant setting, with breathtaking views of the Navesink River.

I have shared your comments with our dining room staff and they are thrilled to have been able to serve you.

We look forward to your next visit to the Molly Pitcher Inn. Until then we remain, as always, at your service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Red Bank
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Homewood Suites by Hilton Eatontown

Been to Molly Pitcher Inn? Share your experiences!