“Nice place, Dishonest Front Desk Staff”
Review of Molly Pitcher Inn

Molly Pitcher Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding that was held at this hotel. We booked our room months before the wedding, and wrote down the confirmation # and price when we booked. When we checked in, the price was more than $50 higher than we were told. We tried to argue, but were told that is the price, take it or leave it. It was an out of state wedding, we had no choice. While we were at the front desk, 3 other people had the exact same problem. They were also quoted the same prices we were. They stated that they never charge that amount for a room, never! After a discussion with the 3 of us, the front desk staff let it slip that that is the rate for the next week.
The place was nice, and the rooms were very clean. Our view was the air conditioner on the roof. Not looking down on the roof and seeing the air conditioner, but the actual air conditioner unit in front of the window. There was a small pool with a nice view of the river. All the other staff were very nice and helpful. The food at the wedding was beyond good, and the breakfast the next morning was very good.
When we went to checkout, the person in front of us were upset because the room was higher than quoted. We stated we had the same problem. After going back and forth, they agreed to take $20 off the bill. After we checkout, my wife says something is wrong with the bill. I look at the bill, and they added $20 to the bill. Any other time I would think that it was an honest mistake, not so sure this time. Went back to the desk, and it was corrected.
The place is very nice, and like I said the food was great, and all the other staff we met were great. The front desk staff, not so much.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, and for them to email you a price quote and confirmation #
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid response. While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, I am very dissapointed to hear your frustration regarding your room rate.

Your situation sounds familiar, and I believe it is a simple case of miscommunication. We have many different room types at the Molly Pitcher, all at different room rates. I can understand how easy it is to hear one rate but book a room at another rate. For this very reason, we email all of our guests a confirmation of their reservation so they may review it and make corrections prior to arrival.

From the sound of your review, we have taken care of the situation. If I am incorrect, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at agreene@mollypitcher-oysterpoint.com. I would be happy to rectify your bill for you.

I have shared your comments regarding our banquet services to our staff and the chef - they are thrilled to hear that you had such a great time.

Thank you again for staying with us and again, please do not hesitate to contact me. It would be my pleasure to assist you. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Molly Pitcher is a charming historic inn, so it's not a cookie cutter place where the rooms are much the same. Some rooms are very small, some are spacious. I got a small room overlooking the parking lot, but it was a conference rate, so I wasn't expecting much. The bed was very comfortable, overflowing with pillows. So many pillows that I didn't know where to put them all! The bed would have been too small if I'd been there with my husband. The service was great. What put me off a bit was the variety of quality and authentic feel of the furnishings. I didn't expect all original, but some of them seemed wrong, like the oak furniture in the room I had, or the small chandeliers that looked what one might buy at Home Depot. The furnishings are what makes it hard for me to rate, as I've been to far more impressive historic hotels and inns, like the Mount Washington or the General Sutter. Still, if you're looking for a charming place with great service in Red Bank, then the Molly Pitcher is fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room or one with a harbor view for the best experience.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pjonthego

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the historic Molly Pitcher Inn with our breathtaking views of the Navesink River, superior service and close proximity to downtown Red Bank.

I am dissapointed to hear that you were unhappy with the furnishings in your room. We do our best to keep the period of the hotel with the decor and furnishings, yet to keep the hotel from looking old and drab. I have shared your comments with our management team for further review when we look to replace the guest room furniture.

We greatly appreciate your staying with us and hope that you will come back and see us in the near future. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been to the Molly Pitcher for wedding..and corprate and political functions and have really been please but today I went there for lunch with friends. we were a group of 5. The place was very busy. The service and food was wonderful! The view of the boats overlooking the Navesink was so pretty too! Parking in Red Bank can be ver y difficult but not here. They have plenty of parking and valet parking too. You might want to try eating here while in Red Bank for a change

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

What a fantastic review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in our Dining Room! We take pride in providing superb cuisine and service in an elegant setting, with breathtaking views of the Navesink River.

I have shared your comments with our dining room staff and they are thrilled to have been able to serve you.

We look forward to your next visit to the Molly Pitcher Inn. Until then we remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip for 5 nights. I didn't pay for a view but right out the back is the docks and river and absolutely beautiful. Town is just a block away and great eating and walking. Restaurant in the hotel is expensive like most hotels but good food. There was a wedding there while I was staying and it was very pretty. Historic building but doesn't smell old. Hardwood floors in room which was very small but just right for me staying alone. Double bed would be hard for me to share if my husband was along, and while I had 5 pillows none was very comfortable- but then again I'm not used to feather pillows. Bed comfortable which is hard for me to say as I have a bad back and I'm fussy about that. Very clean, well cared for. I am a light sleeper and was surprised at how quiet it was- couldn't hear through walls or ceiling. Plumbing is old so when your neighbor flushed toilet your water gets hot. Towels very fluffy. Check in and out was very easy and I was greeted quickly and treated very well. Free wifi worked well. I wish I could have stayed longer and done some sightseeing, its a very pretty perfect location for a vacation. Too cold to swim but pool area looked very nice. High-tech workout room and the usual amenities. No washer/dryer in the place. Overall give 5 stars.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor out of 3 floors but it was quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a lovely review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your week-long stay with us at the Molly Pitcher Inn and in the town of Red Bank. We take great pride in our historic Inn, the superb location along the Navesink River, and the short walking distance to the shops and restaurants of downtown Red Bank.

I have shared your comments with the staff and they are thrilled to have pleased you so! We all look forward to your next stay with us.

Thank you again for staying with us. Should I be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be my pleasure to assist you. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent Labor Day weekend at the Molly Pitcher. Very well preserved hotel with plenty of charm. The hotel was sold out so we had a very small room on the 3rd floor with a tiny bathroom. Our bed was smaller than full size- I believe a double which was very tight for my husband & I. It was very clean and the buffet breakfast was very nice with excellent service. It is quite far from the shopping & restaurant district and cabs were very unreliable. The Italian restaurant across the street was excellent.

Room Tip: As for a suite or a room with a queen or king size bed.
1  Thank auntiebling

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your candid review! We are thrilled to have had the opportunity to serve you. We take pride in providing comfortable accommodations, fantastic views and close proximity to downtown Red Bank.

I am sorry to hear that your room was so small. The hotel was built in 1928 and the rooms are definitely small by today's standards. The hotel owners have kept the historical integrity of the building, and have not expanded any of the guest rooms from their original size. We have many room sizes, and we try to offer our guests as many options when booking.

Thank you so much for staying with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should I be of any further assistance. In the interim, I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at the Molly Pitcher Inn and took the ferry into NYC. It was nice to get back out of the city at the end of the day and relax in a comfortable room. The pool area and view of the river are very nice. The hotel is quite old and could use some renovations, but it is VERY clean. No worries about bed bugs here! Be aware that if you are on the first floor there is no elevator - not great if you've got a lot of luggage. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Wi-fi is free with code from front desk. I would suggest taking your own hair dryer. The one really bad thing is the water pressure - or I should say lack of water pressure. Also be aware that you must ask for the key to the safe in your room.

Room Tip: Be aware that the elevator does not go to the bottom floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We take pride in providing our guests with clean, luxurious accommodations in a fantastic setting with superior service where you can relax and unwind.

Rest assured, I have shared your comments about the low water pressure with our Chief Engineer to look into and rectify. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should I be of any further assistance. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Molly Pitcher for one night over Labor Day weekend. The staff was very accommodating, we were able to check in early but did not like the room we were given. The room was right off the pool with the balcony opening onto the chaises around the pool, big hairy guy right in front of our balcony. The staff was very helpful in setting us up in another room. We got a fairly good deal through Expedia, for a Navesink King Room.

Pros: gracious staff, large comfortable king bed, flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi, room with balcony

Cons: 1 small elevator that did not go to all floors, strange hotel layout, old rooms and bathrooms in dire need of a renovation, musty smell throughout hotel and guests rooms, small room lacking decoration, in-room safe not working.

We’ve stayed at their sister hotel down the street, The Oyster Point. This hotel seems like the older, stuffy, sister. Next time we’re in Red Bank, we’ll opt for The Oyster Point.

1  Thank Joanne D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and welcome your constructive feedback.

Our historic hotel was built in 1928, with the Navesink wing added in the 1960s. While the one elevator we do have goes to the top level of this wing, there is no elevator access to the pool level. I can understand that this can be quite frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

As for the condition of the guest rooms, many went through a soft-remodel this past year, being updated with hardwood floors, new drapes, linens and upholstery. We are working to provide the same furnishing in our Navesink Wing, starting later this year with the hardwood floors. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration as we work to continuously improve our guest accommodations.

We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should I be of any further assistance to you. In the interim, I remain, as always, at your service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Red Bank
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tinton Falls - Eatontown
Blue Bay Inn
Blue Bay Inn
#1 of 1 in Atlantic Highlands

Been to Molly Pitcher Inn? Share your experiences!