“Great Views, Bad Tudes”
Review of Molly Pitcher Inn

Molly Pitcher Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed at the Inn as a hotel guest. The room and the hotel are very clean. But given the composition of the grounds, the rooms lack views of the gorgeous Navesink river. The only views to be had were at the pool or dining in the restaurant. We were surprised to learn that the pool closed so early for a friday night. There were also no available clean towels at poolside.

While NJ had undergone a terrible heat wave, the Inn was ill prepared to cool off its clients. Late Friday afternoon, we could not even stay at the bar. We opted to not eat in the restaurant as it was just too hot inside. Saturday was even worse when the rooms where the special events were being held had little, if any, air conditioning. All guests were just glazed over for the hours we were there. This begs the question: is their cooling just too old or was it negligent planning to ensure the systems were up and running. Either way, it doesn't bode well.

Probably the worst of it all were the horrendous abysmal attitude of the female personnel behind the front desk. It is obvious these women have never undergone any customer service training. In fact, one would wonder if they even knew the definition of hospitality. This poor attitude was evidenced on Friday evening, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning. At least I can say they were consistent.

I will say the food was extremely good. The wait staff well organized for large crowds. The (male) bartenders (Friday nite in the Int'l bar and at the catered event on Saturday) were exceptionally nice, extremely polite, and highly professional.

Room Tip: Not possible.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I were visiting Red Bank for a friend's party. We stayed at the inn for one night. I was dubious about the place because of some of the reviews I had read. I have to say I was thrilled with our stay. The girl who checked us in was very pleasant and informative. The reception area was so clean and bright. Our room was on the 3rd floor and it was charming (very clean too). Unfortunately we didn't get to use the pool. The location is perfect for walking into town. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lavi1970
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Went out for lunch to celebrate Father's Day early. Nice overall, but snooty front desk person! Arrived 4 minutes before the dining room opened, gave our reservation, & asked for a window table (view is beautiful). Response was "The dining room isn't open yet and those tables are 'first come, first serve!'" How about "Certainly, we'll seat you very shortly?" Food was fine, steak a bit overcooked. Offered to take it back, but said it would take 15 min. (in an empty dining room)? The turkey in the Cobb salad was diced very small and looked like processed meat, although the salad was tasty enough. I would expect better from a restaurant that requires men to wear jackets for dinner. Sunday Brunch is better!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank denisec65
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I spent the night at the Inn and had a great time. We felt that the staff was friendly and they offered us a complimentary drink when we arrived. The bar had a nice vibe. It had locals as well as hotel guests. Our room was in the lower level. I read a review where someone said there were roaches in their lower level room. I didn't see that at all. I have a bug phobia and would have freaked if I saw that. Our bed was comfy and we had a view of the pool and river. The pool looked very nice, but the weather was too cool for swimming or lounging. The buffet breakfast was also very nice. The Inn is within walking distance to all the shops and stores in Redbank. My only complaint would be the lack of lighting in the room. But it is a minor complaint.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NickyNewark
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We got a great rate for a one night stay over Memorial day weekend through priceline. We arrived an hour and a half prior to scheduled check-in time and our room was clean and ready. We didn't spend much time in the room after we arrived. We had a great lunch in the bar area of the restaurant after first being seated in the more formal dining room. After looking at the menu we asked the server if we could just get a burger or sandwich and she said that the bar lounge had a more casual menu. Our kids were in swim attire and it was a better match for us to eat in the bar area. We spent a few hours by the pool. Pool was adequate, water cold. We realized we could ring the restaurant to bring drinks poolside after seeing a few other guests doing the same. We returned to the room to change before going out for the evening and noticed the room was a little warm. We figured it was hot outside and we just needed to turn down the temp in the room which we did. When we returned after 10pm the room had not cooled down at all. We called down to the front desk and they told us they could not do anything about it but could send up some bottled water?? The room remained warm throught the night making it difficult to sleep. Upon checkout we told the young woman at the front desk that our air conditioning was not working and she said that she saw a note about it from the night before. She said that the units were new and she was surprised that they were not working. That was that and we went on our merry way. I feel that they could have at least sent someone to look at it that night and maybe go throught he motions of attempting to make us more comfortable. It was a shame because the hotel is nice and conveniently located to shore points, outlets etc. Just don't stay inn room 106 if you like an air-conditioned room. Basil T's across the street is a great restaurant, homemade pasta and homemade beer and great wine selection!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank champagnetaste
Reviewed May 10, 2011

As a business trAverler I care about 3 things
1) free wifi they have it and it works great
2) a gym - they have one but it is possibly the worst gym I have ever seen the equiptment is at least 20 years old
3) a desk to work at -the rooms are so small you can hardly walk around the bed much less a desk.
Marriott courtyard is better option in red bank.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I have been reading reviews about this hotel for a long time and have held my tongue about responding, but after the I read about the last reviewer who didn't even stay here based on negative reviews - that was the last straw for me! I have been staying at this hotel for about 8-9 years. Not to mention I was married here 3 years ago and the entire event was completely flawless and I couldn't have asked for a better wedding day if I had dreamed it! The service, food and attention to detail was impeccible! There is nothing wrong with this lovely hotel. Yes - some rooms are bigger and different styles than others and that's why there are price adjustments. Yes - some rooms may not have the perfect views and are located on different floors. The complaints are probably due to people who don't know the hotel and all it has to offer. Ask questions when you make your reservation! I've stayed in the standard room, Navesink wing - both sides, Junior and Master Suite and I never had a problem with any of the rooms - ever!!!! The hotel is lovely, quaint and full of character and charm. Not to mention my husband and I come back every year to celebrate our wedding anniversary and also visit other times during the year just because we love it so much. And to the last reviewer who decided NOT to stay here because of negatives reviews all I have to say to you is it was your loss big time! You really cheated yourself out of a nice stay at a fine hotel! And to compare this lovely hotel to a Motel 6?????? I'd love to see the places you think are nice!!! Try to appreciate this hotel for what it is and stop with the complaining - they so don't deserve it!

Room Tip: Ask questions when making a reservation
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jgirl61
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We strive to provide all of our guests with a memorable experience and are so glad that we were able to do so for your wedding day and every return visit!

The hotel was built in 1928, with the Navesink wing built in 1992. The older portion of the hotel is quite charming and quaint, although the room sizes do vary due to the layout of the hotel. We're glad that you enjoy the hotel's charm and service. We look forward to your return visits!

Regards,

Blue Bay Inn
Blue Bay Inn
#1 of 1 in Atlantic Highlands
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#1 of 1 in Middletown

Been to Molly Pitcher Inn? Share your experiences!