“Not nearly as good as it once was”
Review of Nicholas

Nicholas
Reserve with OpenTable
Nicholas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 145 Restaurants in Red Bank
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Bt. Navesink River Rd & Pine Street
Transit: Red Bank train station
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Not nearly as good as I remembered! 3 years ago we had one of the best meals of our lives here so I couldn't wait to go back to celebrate a big anniversary with my wife. But I was very disappointed.
First the service, while friendly and professional, is hovering and intrusive. It's also way too gimmicky - explaining everything on our plate, lifting all the lids at the same time, constantly picking up and changing silverware, it's all so unnecessary.

But more important is the food. It's very eclectic, and if you're not a real foodie you will just think weird. But we're very adventurous so that is not the issue. But the portions are small - there are too many foams and gels, and our fish was dry and tasteless.
A single scallop or shrimp for an appetizer?

Something changed here!

2  Thank slscottxny

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Dinner at Nicholas is more than just eating a meal, it is a dining experience. The service, the presentation, and the food, well, the restaurant truly deserves all of the accolades that it gets. I hesitated to go to Nicholas for years because I just didn't want to believe the hype and I thought that it would be stuffy and the food would be overated. So friends of ours invited us as their guests, so I figured why not. Boy I have been missing out for all of this time. The staff is always lurking and attentive to every need, but it is not overbearing. We enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu and it was really good. I tried all things that I would not normaly eat and I really enjoyed each course. We didn't do the wine pairing because my friend is a wine connoisseur and he ordered wine separately. Very high class experience and not overpriced.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

My daughter chose this place for the reception of the Christening for my granddaughter. There were about 40 people including children. The four course meal was absolutely fabulous! Service was beyond! There were several different items to choose from for each course, and everyone said the food was exceptional. You would be hard pressed to find a better place to have a private function, or just a night out to have an enjoyable meal. This is definitely a place i would return to!

DON

1  Thank theFISHERMANFL
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Food and Wine Snobs...........this establishment will not disappoint. I have been to this restaurant many times over the years. I am never disappointed. The class and sophistication is unmatched in Ocean and Monmouth Counties. The food is prepared and served perfectly and the wine pairing is superb. The owners, Nicholas and Melissa are always present and always sweet. Get ready to spend your hard earned cash and go home saying it "it was well worth it."

1  Thank K-L-Cam
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Whether small plates at the bar or dinner in the dining room, Restaurant Nicholas always delivers the finest food, wine and service.

1  Thank RedBankGirl2