“Love It!”

JBJ's Soul Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 142 Restaurants in Red Bank
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My respect for JBJ grew enormously after dining at JBJ's Soul Kitchen. The concept is simple yet profound. We waited an hour to seat our party of seven and it was worth every minute. The seating space is small and decorated with a modern simplicity. What I did not anticipate was the quality of both the food and the service. The watermelon gazpacho is to die for and the salmon cakes were good too. The yogurt parfait for dessert along with the iced tea completed the meal. The staff are very welcoming and make the experience enjoyable. The volunteers do a great job too. The requested donation is $10 and $20 will cover a meal for another. I don't know how they manage to do what they do at those prices. My hope is that most guests give more. Every community should have a restaurant of this character.

2  Thank AnAdventureAddict

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Gourmet fare is prepared by volunteers and is amazing. I had a salad provided by local growers and salmon over basmati rice and bean creole. Dessert was a perfect cupcake made by a local culinary school. Community seating allows conversation w/strangers who are pals after your hour at table. SK offers dining w/distinction no matter your financial circumstance. If able, you can donate toward another diner's meal. My heart (and stomach!) are always full when I leave.

2  Thank JB168
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We visited the soul kitchen while in town and it was a wonderful experience. We only had to wait a few minutes for seating. They have community seating, we were seated by some ladies from Philadelphia also visiting. For starters we had bread and salad and I had the beef stir fry, which was delicious. It was a great experience, we chose to pay for our meals and two others. That was our purpose in going. What a wonderful idea and an absolutely awesome way to be able to help the community and at the same time inviting others to do the same!! Bravo Soul Kitchen!!!! :)

4  Thank agoofygrle1
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I recently volunteered at Soul & was invited to share a meal. The food was delicious & fresh. Loved it.

2  Thank LindaD1957
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My friend and I took the train down to JBJ Soul Kitchen from Manhattan, and it was well worth the 1 hr each way commute! The food was tasty and hearty, felt like "mum's cooking", and all of the staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. It was great to see some of JBJ's family there helping out as well, which shows that it is a cause very close to all their hearts. I would definitely return to the Soul Kitchen next time I'm in the States, and would love to volunteer there as well. Great food and service, for a great cause!

5  Thank anglophile490