“Beyond terrible”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had reservations for 6 people but when we got there the host insisted we'd changed it to 4. We had not! I ordered grilled shrimp with veg medley and I requested - as did 2 other people in our party - no butter, dry. Waitress (new) said no problem; it came drenched in an awful sauce that I couldn't even eat. Others at our table didn't like their food either (except the person who recommended this place and HAD to like hers). The prices were over the top for awful food. Then - the best part - the valet (free valet parking) MISPLACED our car! We waited forever and then my husband had to go tramping the streets of Red Bank with a valet guy who said he couldn't locate the key to our car! What was the ticket number?? I don't know, I gave it to you. Crowded and very noisy. No waiting area for our table except in front of the door that opened with a wintry blast every minute. DO NOT GO HERE!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had the salmon with the fruit prep, delicious. We've been there about 6 times and have enjoyed our meal each time. The fish has been fresh and that is a must. Two times they were out of crab cakes, not sure if they still serve them. Only disappointment is that they do not take reservations for 2 and if you have to wait, there is nowhere to stand.

bluewater_redbank, Manager at Blue Water Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

We are glad to have you as a loyal customer! Just wanted to let you know that we do still serve crab cakes and have never run out of them, they are one of our staple menu items, which make up numerous dishes on the menu, to not have them would mean we would be out of at least 5 menu items. We usually are out of "crab legs" due to the increase in price and limited availability, perhaps there was some confusion in what the server listed that we were out of. The only night we do not accept reservations for two people is Saturday evening between 7:00-9:00pm. We would love to have you back to try the crab cakes and hopefully they will be just as enjoyable as your other meals have been. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

These guys KNOW how to buy and prepare fish. All of our fish was perfectly cooked—buttery texture and delicate sea flavor. The owner came over and chatted with us and was super friendly and accessible on this busy Saturday night. The side dishes seemed like an afterthought and could use a little more attention for the overall price point, but this is the best fish around and we plan on coming back often!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The prices are way too high for a town that rolls up its sidewalks at 9PM - Out of the 3 main courses we ordered two were returned and one was nothing to write home to mom about. The appetizers were average at best. Cold mussels and cold fried squid don't cut it. The services was good and they quickly took the dinners off the bill. Maybe they prepare other dishes on their menu better but when you are charging NY prices you shouldn't have to be careful what you order. The pastas were moosh and the spicy sauces were bland and cold.

1  Thank BillGinsburg
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We decided to visit Blue Water on a weekday. The atmosphere was amazing, the food was great and it was very cozy and intimate. I'm sure if we went on a weekend there'd be more people and be a more vibrant experience but we had no such problem on a weekday. I loved the Sea Bass and the manager was extrememly nice and professional, coming to us often to ensure that we were pleased. Considering the area, the prices are reasonable. Considering that everything is fresh and cooked in an open kitchen, I don't mind. I would definitely go again.