“Don't do it!”

Cuisines: Italian
Virginia
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I recently ate at Brother's Pizza because my good friend likes the place and it was his Birthday. I last ate there about 30 years ago with him and I didn't like it then. It is EXACTLY the same, and I don't mean that it in good way. The decor is old, the place is very, very dark and the chairs are quite uncomfortable. The place mats were the same child's game setting from 30 years ago. I looked if I could find a date and the copy date was 1978. Very, very dated. We were kidding at the table about them having a truck load from 1978 in the back parking lot.

Speaking of the back parking lot, we parked in the back parking lot. The first impression of the place was the employees smoking outside the kitchen entrance. The kitchen door was wide open and I wondered to myself just how many insects might fly inside or if the smoke kept them away! Not a very good first impression.

The good thing about this place was the waitress. She was very cordial and helpful with the menu. But they don't even serve the plates to each guest. They just put them in a stack on the table with the silverware on top. Again, very dated service. But she was at least pleasant about it.

We started our order with calamari and mozzarella sticks. The calamari had no taste at all. My guess is that it was frozen for a long period of time. I did not brave this sticks because they just did not look appetizing. Our main course was two thin crust pizzas; one plain and one with sausage and green peppers. I tried the plain. Perhaps I don't like the ultra thin crust but it really did taste like cardboard to me. It was also overly greasy. Like the calamari, it was quite bland. I had to dump a bunch of cheese on the slice just to eat it. If it wasn't my friends birthday and I was a guest with his family I would NOT have eaten this pizza at all. But, I was playing nice and trying to make the best of things. I will have to say that the pie came to our table very hot.

I should give this place one star but I just don't have the heart. I can't convey just how dated the decor and menu are. It is like all the bad things about the 1970's in one place. Seriously, there is a disco ball hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the dining room! It is just so dark with 1970's paneling and tile floors. I really wanted to take a picture to post but again, it was a birthday celebration and I didn't want to make matters worse then they already were. The floors and walls also don't allow for very good acoustics. Everyone's conversation echoed throughout the dining area. You can also hear noise from the kitchen. The owners have not spent much, if any, money to keep up with the times. If the food was exceptional I could look past the poor decor and ambiance. But the food is sub par. Don't do it. Don't waste your money.

• Visited June 2013

New York, New York, United States
“decent pizza”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Pizza was decent, as were the burgers. Lots on the menu although none of looked very appealing. Pretty much the same quality as a good roadside diner.

• Visited April 2013
Middletown, New Jersey, United States
“Good pizza - tired atmosphere”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Brother's reminds me of the days when dad would pile us all in the station wagon and head out for a family pizza night. Very good pizza and friendly service, but I don't think they've updated their decor in 40 years (who has paneling anymore?).

Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hole in the wall turns out to be Holy Smokin good pizza.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Brothers is an old school Bar in the front with little time or attention spent on its ambiance. The wait staff wear jeans and black shirts that remind you that you are sitting in Brothers Pizzeria. However, if you like thin crust pizza then this is one of the better ones in the state. Don't let the decor fool you, the food is very good and the prices ate reasonable.

Ocean, New Jersey, United States
“Great pizza”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

If you love thin crust pizza this is the place for you. Great for families and or friends get togethers. Food is fantastic and the service is above average.

Visited October 2012

Been to Brothers' Pizza? Share your experiences!