“Neighborhood Gem”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wall Street
Transit: Raritan Train Station
Description: From Greece to Italy to Spain to Morocco to Afghanistan, 3 Olives Mediterranean Afghan Bar & Grill has it all. Our newly renovated Full bar and Dining room is located in the heart of Raritan, NJ. We include a variety of Mediterranean cuisine, including traditional Afghan foods. Everything On our menu down to our home-made naan Afghan bread is made from only the freshest ingredients appealing to even the most health conscious of diners. Our entrees include beef, lamb and chicken kabobs, seafood from Mahi Mahi to scallops, T-Bone steaks and traditional lamb gyros. Our Chef uses a traditional blend of Mediterranean herbs and spices to marinate our seafood and meats to enhance its natural flavoring. 3 Olives has a full service bar featuring many top shelf liquor and unique micro brews and craft beers. Some of our craft beer include Honker's Ale and Koko Brown, Victory Prima Pilsner, Angry Orchard, & Blue Moon with more to come.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Had lunch there at the urging of friends and walked away a fan. We loved the food, the service and new decor of the old Mugs restaurant. Portions and prices are reasonable, the service friendly and efficient without being rushed. It's a nouvelle sort of Afghan cuisine, very well done. The Aushak stuffed with leeks (not the more usual pumpkin) and the Masala soup were truly delicious; the main dishes delivered solid taste. Everything was fresh and fragrant. We'll be back many times and hope that this establishment is here to stay.

2  Thank citygirlpz

Reviewed July 5, 2013

It is a very nice restaurant near the junction of NJ-287 and 22/202/206. They offer a fusion of Afghani, Turkish and Greek cuisines. Everything tastes very good. We ordered chicken and beef kabobs, lamb stew and a couple of small dishes, like an egg plant and pumpkin appetizer. The lamb was extremely good - melted in the mouth, and it was tasty with only a little bit of lamb smell. My wife had the kabobs - that was great too. We also had their "Masha" soup, which was very tasty. I am into various traditional foods (my wife is an amazing chef - she can virtuously cook a large variety of authentic Chinese, Russian and European dishes!) In addition, I was born and raised in Uzbekistan, where the traditional cuisine resembles that of Afghanistan. So, I believe, I can say that the styles and flavors they use in this restaurant are close to authentic, although it is a fusion, of course. The chef told us he is actually from Afghanistan, but he lives in the US for 30 years. The waitress was helpful and attentive. I would recommend this place to a friend.

1  Thank Vitaly P
Reviewed June 1, 2013

3 Olives Mediterranean Bar & Grill is a great choice for something different. The menu is a fusion of Middle East and Afghan Food. I had no idea what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Lunch starts off with Afghan bread in three types of flavored oil. The soup is delicious as well as the cajun chicken sandwich. The wraps are generously filled with meat and vegetables and a pastry chef is on staff offering an array of deserts. Great choice!

1  Thank L M
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I used to live in Bridgewater and travel back a few times a month. One of my friends had said she loved this place and so we went. We both loved it! The only fault....we ate too much. We asked lots of questions and we got wonderful help picking out everything. The food was excellent along with service and atmosphere. It is very inexpensive also. I do not think we spent $50 with appetizers, entrees and desserts for 2 (not including alcohol). Our only disappointment was the desserts. I love baklava, but the one here was very moist --to the point of being soggy-- in my opinion.

We will definitely return and would highly recommend!

1  Thank JoanneTravels
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The old Mugs Restaurant has been transformed into a very nice Middle Eastern Restaurant. Street parking. Small and cozy inside. New décor! Food ranges from Kabobs to a menu for children. For those who are not into the "ethnic" food, there is a menu with traditional food on it as well. The appetizers are interesting. In fact, I made my whole dinner from 3 of them. The rest of our party had chicken and lamb dinners. Diners around us were ordering a variety of kabob dishes. The dinners are served with a Middle Eastern Nan, not like Indian nan...thicker and heartier and made from brown and white flowers... Just picture thick pitas. There is a choice between a nice salad with feta cheese or a think lentil soup with chickpeas. Both were very good. I tasted everyone's dinner! There were lots of choices for dessert too. On Saturday nights at about 8:00ish they have a belly dancer who dances about the restaurant giving a real Middle Eastern feel. We had been hesitant to try this new place, but we were very glad that we did. The staff was super friendly and one of the owners had a lovely conversation with us about the food. I would go back again! They also have a great on-line reservation service which even reminds you of your reservation about a day ahead!

1  Thank giftedelaine