“Very Consistent”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ramsey
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very Consistent”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have been staying at this location for over a year now long-term for business and receive the same warm welcome each time. The incredibly friendly staff are always smiling and they take care of my requests promptly. They always hand me bottles of water when I ask. The complimentary hot breakfast is a great amenity to get my day started. I love that coffee is available at all times. The rooms are clean and most of the time I get an upgraded room which is very spacious. The beds are very comfortable and I sleep well. There are plenty of restaurants that are within walking distance which is really great. It's a pretty neat place which makes me feel cozy just like home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Trond L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Mass.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend. The hotel is small and on a major highway with alot of options for evening dining close by. Our room did face the highway but we only faintly hear some trucks go by, could not hear any major traffic. If you live in a city this will be quieter. The room and bathroom was small but very clean. The sink is not in the bathroom but out in the main room. This took a little getting used too but no complaints. The pillows on the bed were very small and not comfortable at all. This would be the only downfall to our stay. But we anticipated this from reading previous reviews and brought our own pillows. The bed was comfortable to sleep on. We have slept on better hotel beds but not many. Breakfast was the standard expanded continental hotel breakfast with eggs, sausage, bacon, several cerals, toast, muffins, tea and coffee. No waffle maker but they did have a pancake maker. There is no exercise room but you can use Retro Fitness down the street. Its as easy as showing up and showing your room key. Thats it, then you will have access to a full gym. If you want to do cardio go into the Theater Room. Treadmills and exercise bikes in front of a huge tv screen. They were showing a Steve Martin movie and time flew right by.

The staff here was extremely friendly and helpful. The front desk staff went out of their way to make sure everything was going well during our stay. The woman working in the breakfast area kept everything clean, hot and well stocked. We did not have any interaction will housekeeping.

If we come back to this area, my wife and I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jstatik
neustadt
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm here for business. What I want after work is just relax (great beds), having a beer (plenty of restaurants), doing some sports (FREE use of the Retro Fitness in walking distance), seeing good mooded and motivated staff.. Is almost like coming home! Whatever you need (extra towels, new keycard (I lost mine), coffee and tee all night, bottle of water), it is always fine and easy. Try the fresh baked cookies in the evening! Did you ever got a note which says "Thank you" for the tip you left? Try the warm Cinnamon rolls they serve for breakfast! Or the fresh made pancakes! Have a good coffee and enjoy the free daily newspaper you find on the floor if you step out of your room in the morning. It is that kind of many little things that make my stay very pleasant. Needless to say that the location is right between the (insane) shopping world in Paramus and Woodbury Common outlet center.
This place is higly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mimosin
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Awful experience - we checked in to our room and took the elevator to the 3rd floor to find a room was LITERALLY across from the elevator. Worst idea to even have a room there, let alone be assigned to that room. We walked in and the room was so small - the sink wasn't even in the bathroom.. weird. I look on the bed to see a wide open space where pillows should be laying. Don't get me wrong there were 4 pillows on the bed, the only issue is they were throw pillow size. I immediately called down to the front desk to ask them if they had normal size pillows. The attendant told me those were the only pillows they had -- how is that even possible??? The bed was BEYOND rock hard, it was like laying on a brick. We went out for the night and returned to the hotel around 10pm. All night long we heard so much noise and people talking up and down the hall. We were also woken up by housekeeping around 6:30-7am. We finally headed down for the "hot complimentary breakfast" to find cold eggs, cold sausage and broken toasters so you couldn't even toast a pre-thawed out bagel. We couldnt get out of this hotel fast enough.. Oh and upon check out the front desk attendant asked me how it was and I responded sarcastically, "It was just OK". And he said okay I am glad you enjoyed your stay - what!!! We didnt enjoy our stay.. clearly he didnt pick up on the sarcasm. So bottom line is - if you like a noisy hotel with no pillows, rock hard beds, and a disgusting breakfast then this is your place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arielle K
apurva14, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
The Holiday Inn Express team appreciates the feedback and sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience during your stay. The pillow issues have been identified and we are in the process of replacing them. Some of the other issues that you encountered have been fixed. We are sincerely sorry to have assigned to you a room across the elevator. Please give us another opportunity to make things right and we will ensure that you do not experience these issues again.
Thank you for your business.
Rome, New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a great stay at the Holiday Inn Express over the weekend! I was traveling to the city with a group and the front desk staff was super accommodating! We had asked for an early check-in because we needed to change clothes and drop off our luggage. They did happen to have the rooms available and made sure we could get in. Craig at the front desk was very welcoming. The other staff we encountered was very courteous. Breakfast in the morning was standard Holiday Inn Express fare. Everything was fresh and hot. At check out, the woman at the desk was friendly and thanked us for staying. My family and I will be staying at this hotel again any time we are in need of a place in that area. Very convenient to NYC and great for people traveling on a budget. My one and only complaint is the size (too small) and comfort of the pillows. Other than that, keep up the great work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Williamsport, Maryland
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am a Platnium rewards meember and primarily stay at the Holiday Inn Express lcoation. The rooms are clean and neat and the staff was very friendly when I checked in. MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR A ROOM ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE BUILDING! The front of the buidling face a 6 lane highway and there is plenty of road noise. Other than a little road noise this is a nice location and would highly recommend of the business traveler

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside of the building. Rooms on the front face a 6 lane highway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Winnipeg
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was in town for my father's funeral; the airline lost my luggage, which I needed in order to dress for the funeral the next morning. The front desk was very helpful and patient with my many inquiries, and when the luggage finally arrived (an hour and a half before the funeral; thanks, Delta), they brought it right up to my room. No complaints about the room; it was clean and quiet, and the bed was comfortable. The alarm clock kept flashing the time, which was a little annoying.

Although I loved the automatic pancake dispenser in the breakfast room, the pancakes it dispensed weren't so great. The scrambled eggs were inedible, and the coffee was just ok. The rest of the breakfast options were fairly standard and fail-safe (yogurt, bagels & bread for toasting, pastries, fruit, etc.) I went next door to Dunkin Donuts on my second morning there and had a much better breakfast.

The one complaint I did have was that I was watching TV on the bed at around 5:00 on Saturday, unwinding after the funeral, when someone opened the door. Thankfully I had the bolt thrown across so they couldn't open it all the way, and I said, "excuse me??" and they closed the door. I didn't bother to complain to the front desk; I assumed it was cleaning staff (I had seen carts around at 4:30 or so), and that someone had made a mistake. I didn't want to get anyone in trouble, but it was a little bit disturbing.

Any minor complaints aside, it was a fairly pleasant stay, and quite inexpensive (I booked through Expedia). I would stay there again if I was in the area (which I probably won't be, but you never know). Route 17 was a little busy for my taste, but not too bad and the hotel is convenient to area restaurants and such.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Happy_Scrappy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for our front desk staff. On the other hand, please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during breakfast and with cleaning staff. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsey
Best Western The Inn At Ramsey
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Extended Stay America - Ramsey - Upper Saddle River
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 8 in Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah

Been to Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah? Share your experiences!