Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah
$104
$110
$105
$95
Fair Motel(Upper Saddle River)
$75
$151
Residence Inn Saddle River(Saddle River)
$149
$130
Doubletree.com
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfront deskwarm cinnamon rollshi expressdunkin donutsroad noisestayed one nightking bednorthern njfirst floorpancake machinehard boiled eggscomfortable bedsthe air conditioningwould stay here againbusiness tripnice roomparking lot
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was in town for my father's funeral; the airline lost my luggage, which I needed in order to dress for the funeral the next morning. The front desk was very helpful and patient with my many inquiries, and when the luggage finally arrived (an hour and a half before the funeral; thanks, Delta), they brought it right up to my room. No complaints about the room; it was clean and quiet, and the bed was comfortable. The alarm clock kept flashing the time, which was a little annoying.

Although I loved the automatic pancake dispenser in the breakfast room, the pancakes it dispensed weren't so great. The scrambled eggs were inedible, and the coffee was just ok. The rest of the breakfast options were fairly standard and fail-safe (yogurt, bagels & bread for toasting, pastries, fruit, etc.) I went next door to Dunkin Donuts on my second morning there and had a much better breakfast.

The one complaint I did have was that I was watching TV on the bed at around 5:00 on Saturday, unwinding after the funeral, when someone opened the door. Thankfully I had the bolt thrown across so they couldn't open it all the way, and I said, "excuse me??" and they closed the door. I didn't bother to complain to the front desk; I assumed it was cleaning staff (I had seen carts around at 4:30 or so), and that someone had made a mistake. I didn't want to get anyone in trouble, but it was a little bit disturbing.

Any minor complaints aside, it was a fairly pleasant stay, and quite inexpensive (I booked through Expedia). I would stay there again if I was in the area (which I probably won't be, but you never know). Route 17 was a little busy for my taste, but not too bad and the hotel is convenient to area restaurants and such.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Happy_Scrappy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for our front desk staff. On the other hand, please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during breakfast and with cleaning staff. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 23, 2013

As far as amenities, this Holiday Inn Express is standard. I was disappointed that it does not have a fitness center, although you do have access to the fitness club down the street. The shower and toliet are situated in a tiny room which I wasn't fond of. Breakfast is standard, like any other HI.

I will say that the staff at this hotel goes above and beyond. They are extremely friendly and hepful. I've stayed here twice and each time was excellent. Once, the airline had lost my luggage and the staff loaned me their personal cell phone charger. They even offered an extra bottle of water as I left for the morning. Housekeeping did a good job as well. I'd stay here again, mostly because of the staff.

Room Tip: Get a room on the backside for extreme peace and quiet. This hotel faces a busy 6-lane divided highway.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
apurva14, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Danielle C,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express in Ramsey, NJ. We appreciate you feedback and kind words for our staff. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a perfectly OK property, but it's an absolutely basic experience and we felt that there were some ragged edges: A tiny bit of mildew in the shower, for example, though in general the bathroom was very clean.

Beds were comfortable and sheets clean crisp.

Odd configuration of the bathroom elements has the sink in the room and the toilet and tub and shower in a tiny bathroom.

Was a bit noisy. Could hear kids running upstairs and in hallway and elevator was audible from our room.

Breakfast, though free, is not the nicest quality.

No pool, no exercise equipment.

For similar price, I would choose the nearby Hampton Inn.

All of that said, the staff were absolutely lovely and went out of their way to help with us assorted questions.

Room Tip: ask to be away from elevators
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear sarahbboston,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the beds and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bathroom arrangement and the noise during your stay. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We decided to stay here again because we love this hotel. It is so nice and quiet and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Anyone looking for a hotel in this area should definately stay here even if it is for 1 night. They give you bottles of water and snacks when you check in and they have fresh cookies in the lobby. We decided to have the breakfast this time, which is included in your stay. They have bagels, pastry, eggs, bacon, sausage etc. Coffee, tea and juice are available any time you want them. This is one of our favorite Holiday Inns.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gina D
apurva14, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Gina D,

Thank you for the repeat business and excellent review. We are glad to hear you were able to try our hot buffet breakfast this time and enjoyed the variety . We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Ramsey on my first and last night whilst on business in New Jersey & New York State.
We arrived at 10.00pm on 15th September and were greeted by Hina on the reception, she checked us both in very quickly and as Holiday inn Priority Club members we were given 2 bottles of water and some snacks which was a nice touch.
I was given a room on the 3 floor at the front of the hotel, there was some noise from the highway but it didn’t trouble my sleep that night.
The room & bathroom was a little dated and need of modernising but everything functioned and it was very clean, the room had a large flat screen TV, Fridge, Microwave, Iron & Board, Very comfortable bed, Chair & futon & Good Free Wi-Fi. The sink was located in the bedroom next to the door with the bathroom have a tub with shower and the toilet.
Breakfast the following morning was plentiful and of good quality with Tea, Coffee, Juice, Cereals, Bread, Bagels, Sausage, Bacon, Scrambled eggs, Pastries, Yogurt & Fruit.
As we left I spoke with Hector on the front desk regarding our return stay as we would arrive before the 3.00pm checking time and would like to store our luggage, he advised this would be no problem.
On our return on the 20th September we arrived at 12.00pm we were met by Craig and to our surprise he checked us in, gave us our room keys and allowed us into our rooms (That’s Customer service) the stay was as good as the first night.
There is a Pizza Hut, Chilli’s & McDonalds all within a very short walk in case you get hungry.
Hina, Hector & Craig were Fantastic and a credit to the Holiday Inn Express group, if I return to this area I will defiantly stay here again. Many thanks

Room Tip: If a light sleeper ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the highway.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank stuart c

Dear Stuart C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. A satisfied guest is our ultimate goal. We take pride in our employees and they appreciate your compliments.

We are glad you had a quiet stay despite the slight noise from the highway.
We look forward to your next visit. Thank you for your loyalty.