“Great food ... if you can wait that long”

Tawara Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 85 Restaurants in Ramsey
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great food ... if you can wait that long”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This is a great little place with good ambiance, a broad selection of items and really tasty food. However, my two friends and I received very poor service when we visited on a Saturday night.

We were sat almost immediately, but then waited at least 30 minutes before a server even came to take our order. We spent a lot of time just looking for/trying to flag down a server. The food took longer than expected to arrive after that. No one checked back to ensure that everything was OK, our water glasses went dry, our soy sauce ran out, but there were no servers to be found. We wanted to order a few more sushi rolls when the first ones came out, and we had to speed-order from another server (not ours) who rushed by us almost without a look. Although we were ready to order when we were sat (one of my friends has visited several times before), the entire meal took over 2 hours from when we entered to when the bill finally came. We were very hungry when we arrived, and it was close to an hour after that before we got our entrees.

All that said, the food was very good. My favorite roll was the Mexican roll (so good!); my least favorite was the namesake Tawara roll.

American sushi restaurant "classics," like the spicy tuna roll (my favorite) and the California roll (my friend's favorite) were oddly missing from the menu. My friend ordered the "hot roll," which tasted fine but was mostly composed of rice. The prices were similar to most sushi restaurants I've visited. Many cooked seafood or meat entrees means that this place is also great for non-sushi-eaters. I would return, but maybe on a weekday night or sometime when I am not arriving very hungry. The Mexican roll would be worth the trip.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank brendaemily

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Best Japanese food in the area”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I have been going to this restaurant for the past 20 years and have never left unsatisfied. Nice private tatami rooms, great food and servers that have been there for years. One of our favorites!

1 Thank JeanB37
NJ
“One of our favorite restaurants”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Excellent service, reasonable price and delicious sushi. It is so convenient and parking is never a problem.

• Visited June 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I work nearby and lunch here once or twice a month. The fish is so fresh and the chef is really imaginative. In particular, he uses lemon in ways that are not typical for sushi but they really bring out the sweetness of the fish. Try the specials from the chalkboard -- then you know they will be seasonal and deliciously fresh.

Yes, it is BYOB, but there is a liquor store in the same strip mall that has quite a good selection, including Japanese sake and beer. The service is not the swiftest, but they are always friendly and polite.

mahwah nj
“Food Not Fresh Service Under-perfomed”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Sushi not fresh, squid salad tasted like rubber, beef dish completely over-cooked very tough. Took a half hour to get a diet coke served in a can with a glass. The place is BYO.

It took almost an hour to have 4 meals prepared and the place was only moderately busy.

Never again!