“Lowest of the three tiers”

Best Western The Inn At Ramsey
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ramsey
Western Massachusetts
“Lowest of the three tiers”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Having apparently angered the corporate gods, HQ bestowed a Best Western travel card upon me, hence my stay at the BW Ramsey on Rt 17 in Ramsey, NJ. I used to stay at Best Westerns a lot but then I stopped because they are, well, Best Westerns. And this one in particular is the lowest of the three Best Western grades of hotels.
The ladies at the front desk were pleasant enough. The room was old and tired but at least it was relatively clean. The bathroom was clean as well, although they assigned me to a handicapped accessible room for reasons unknown to me. I prefer not to have one of these rooms, but I was too tired to request a change. If a reasonably comfy bed and a clean bath are all that matter to you, this place might suffice. To be fair, the towels are much fluffier than many hotels I’ve stayed at.
The internet connection was maddeningly slow, and intermittent. And once again I could receive, but not send email. Not acceptable to me, and is one of my criteria that is not negotiable. Serious points off for that.
The restaurant was closed for renovation, and having stayed here a couple years ago, I can attest that is a good thing. The web site did note that the restaurant was closed, which is more than many hotels disclose. However they have reserved an area near the construction zone as the breakfast area. It’s a little sketchy walking down a maze-like plastic draped corridor to find breakfast. It’s free, and worth every bit of that. They do have a selection of bread but you have to ask for a toaster. I suspect the bacon is turkey bacon -which is an oxymoron- and the scrambled eggs were dry and bland. And the room itself is begging for demolition. I imagined it something akin to the staff break room in an old meat packing plant.
As previously stated, I stayed here more under duress than by choice. It’s an old property, in desperate need of a facelift, from the parking lot to the carpets and drapes. The iron still has one of those springy cables attached to it, ostensibly because steam iron theft is rampant at Best Westerns. I admit, it’s tempting to steal an iron a previous guest used to thaw frozen waffles, but the cable is a little much.
There are other choices within a short distance of this place. You may want to check out alternative places before booking this Best Western.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Greg W, General Manager at Best Western The Inn At Ramsey, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear BHarv_13,

Thank you for describing your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us.
I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your stay at our hotel. As you pointed out our restaurant and bar are in the process of being renovated. We expect the new restaurant and bar to open within 2 months. I do apologize for the poor appearance during the renovation. Additiionally, we are planning on making extensive improvements to the hotel in the next 12 months which should address most of your complaints. We do hope that you will give an opportunity in the future to have you as our guest.

Thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I put why we booked this hotel in the title because the hotel was packed with attendees to the West Point graduation, including us. West Point is only about 30-40 minutes away. (The train station is only a half block away too, very convenient.) This Best Western lives up to the reputation of the best of Best Westerns. It's clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. That having been said, it's simpler and older and doesn't have all the amenities (pool, spa, laundry room) that some Best Westerns have. Plus, no elevator to the second floor. But for what we needed a hotel for, it was excellent.

Room Tip: Remember there is no elevator to the second floor, so book first floor if you can't do stairs.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Conda D,

Thank you your feedback on our hotel, we greatly appreciate your comments so we know which
areas we need to make our improvements. We are in process of planning extensive improvements to the hotel which should address most of the issues you described. We do give free passes to The New York Sport Club which is very nearby. The New York Sport is a full service fitness center with a lap pool. There is also a full service spa, The Fountain Spa, next to the New York Sports Club.

I am glad you were satisfied with our staff service and the cleanliness of our hotel.
Thank you for selecting our hotel and we hope to see you again in the future
Quispamsis, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel is OK for a quick stop-over. Price was reasonable, and the room was clean. Staff was very helpful. Lot's of on site parking at the hotel.
The breakfast was OK for a quick bite before hitting the road.
The Hotel is on a busy highway, but surprisingly, it's easy to get in and out of the hotel parking lot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lu2tour,

Thank you describing your experience at our hotel we greatly appreciate your feedback.
I am glad you were satisfied with your stay.

Thank you for choosing our hotel. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Best Western In Ramsey is rebuilding their Breakfast Room. That is always confusing in a hotel. The kitchen workers obviously were working extra fast to make certain customer needs were not slowed by the construction. Especially polite, happy, and diligent to customer needs was Celia. Celia is just the sort of dedicated hard worker who makes life easier for weary travelers from Anchorage, Alaska. Kudos to Celia.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jeffery S,

Thank you for your feedback and your patience during the restaurant renovations. I will pass on
your compliments to Celia. I am sure she will greatly appreciative of her recognition by you.

We hope to see you again in the future.
Coventry, VT
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This inn has obviously been working at upgrading, cleaning and improving and tho it needs more, it was clean, functional and the help were friendly and there for us. There is no elevator and that's a problem with luggage. Beds were good and there were ample amenities. A good stopover place with a convenient location on the highway with stores and restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Front rooms hear traffic noise on Rt 17 which never sleeps so if that bothers you, consider that.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Roberta J.

Thank for your feedback and kind words. I will make certain to pass it on to our staff. It is very
satisfying for all our staff hear compliments from our guests.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Highland Ca
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Employee doing check in was surly & unfriendly. She tossed some packaged cookies on the counter ( I guess that was supposed to be a welcome gift but it sure didn't feel like it). She did tell us the best door for us to use was number 1. This facility has NO elevator! So if you have a second floor room walk up is the only way. This information needs to be on the website so older folks or those with a physical limitation can choose not be stuck when they arrive. Our room was dirty & the bathroom was disgusting with black hair in the corner behind the door and under the counter. The shower water temperature fluctuated from burning to freezing during the shower. Breakfast was over cooked and dried out. The bed was hard and the mattress pad did not fit and bunched up under the sheet which also came undone & was bunching up. Internet service was spotty and every time you went online you had to sign on again. We are just finishing up a 2 week vacation and this was definitely our worst stop of all.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greg W, General Manager at Best Western The Inn At Ramsey, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Robert K,

I was disappointed and concerned to read your review of our hotel. I am disappointed as we always endeavor to provide a courteous and welcoming environment to all our guests.
And we usually receive compliments about our courteous and friendly front office staff,
the variety and quality of our breakfast, and the cleanliness of our guest rooms.
This complaint is disturbing as we strive to maintain superior cleanliness of our guest rooms. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you encountered at our hotel. Had we have been aware of the room issues as you described them, we would have immediately changed your room and addressed each and every issue as soon as possible.

It is unfortunate we do not have an elevator. However, we are a 2 story hotel so
half of our rooms are on the first floor. Additionally, we have 5 ADA rooms on the first
floor for any guest with a physical disability. The ADA rooms can be requested in advance online or by contacting our hotel directly.

Please contact me at 201-327-6700, ext. 7313 so I can investigate this matter further and
resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Greg Wolf

Travelers are raving about these Ramsey hotels

Goshen, CT
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Booked for one night visiting family, with my wife. Only disappointment was double beds instead of a king, apparently the place was pretty booked up and it wasn't available. To be fair I bought the booking on priceline and didn't call ahead, so can't fault them for this, and the beds were very comfortable. Everything was clean and functional. They even had the TV remote in a special little baggie, labelled "fresh remote"! Wasn't quite sure what that was for. Nothing fancy but wasn't expecting anything fancy at this price point, just a clean comfy room. Did not take advantage of the breakfast so can't comment on that. Free wifi was nice. Adjacent bar and grill was closed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsey
Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah
Extended Stay America - Ramsey - Upper Saddle River
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 8 in Mahwah

Been to Best Western The Inn At Ramsey? Share your experiences!