“Good business dinner”
Review of Varka Estiatorio

Varka Estiatorio
Reserve with OpenTable
Varka Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 86 Restaurants in Ramsey
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Main Street
Transit: N.J. Transit to Main Street, Ramsey.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Had dinner with 4 other colleagues. Weeknight, arrived at 6pm. Restaurant was not busy. We got good service. Ordered appetizers and among through group had a variety of fish, chicken and pork. Everyone was satisfied. I had the pork and it was very good. Large portion. Price seemed steep, but I am from the mid-west so not sure what is normal for the area.

There are newer reviews for Varka Estiatorio

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This restaurant is large and very noisy! We did not care for the meals we ordered. It is very overpriced

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We've been to Varka many times over the past few years- the atmosphere is great- lively, pretty restaurant. The past two visits have led us to decide we won't be back. We had identical experiences with two different waiters- we had such inattentive service- every request felt like it was a huge bother- we could not get drinks refilled, and had to flag down the hostess for help more than once! This place is expensive (plate of lettuce for $15)- we save it for special occasions, and feel that for the prices charged, the service should be so much better. Judging from other reviews, it looks like this is not an uncommon experience for a lot of diners. The management really needs to take notice that its waitstaff is alienating its costumers. I've never had a problem with the food- it's really good- the grilled octopus is the best around, but it's just not worth being treated poorly and spending so much money!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Let's start with an appetizer; four unadorned and very small grilled sardines for 20 dollars. For slightly less, saganaki (cheese supposedly flambeed in ouzo and lemon) with no discernable flavor, tough and chewy. Broiled calamari was merely adequate. Entree portions of grilled fish average about 35 dollars, were small and not especially meaty, and the portion that was requested filleted still had soggy oil-drenched skin on it. Nobody thought his fish was especially good. Side dishes were mostly Greek themed and were of diner quality. Things didn't improve with dessert. A trio of sorbets were so lacking in flavor that I couldn't reliably distinguish among them with my eyes closed. Cheesecake had a strange flavor. Waiters and servers here look weary of the whole process, never smiling or doing anything else that risked making you feel welcome, and several beverage requests were forgotten. Oh, and the noise level is uncomfortable. By the end, all four of us were muttering that we'll never come back here as we stared in disbelief at the check.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I went to Barker recently to celebrate my wife's birthday with my family. After getting seated The whole experience was terrible. We waited over an hour and 40 minutes for entrée and our fish was way overcooked. They did take it off the bill but the whole service and evening was ruined. Their prices are outrages and I wouldn't be surprised if their business declines. I have been varka multiple times and the experience keeps worsening. I won't be back. Save your money and go elsewhere.