“Horrible Experience”

Extended Stay America - Ramsey - Upper Saddle River
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ramsey
Reviewed December 12, 2011

One of the worst hotel stay experience in US. A place which charges no less compared to other hotels, change of bed linen and towels and cleaning of rooms was once a week - was a shocker. There were pets of the guests roaming all around the lobby and the common area and one of my colleagues had a pretty scary experience when faced with s dog which was left alone on one of the floors.
There were regular visits from the local police and we were not sure of the reason. One of the rooms did nt even have a proper shower..The rooms, although were pretty decent.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 17, 2010

Cozy little room with a serviceable kitchen (plenty of franchise restaurants, local diners, and a full service grocery store in the immediate area). Friendly and pleasant staff. I am staying in the area while doing consulting work and this hotel has become my home away from home. I feel safe and comfortable here and my cat is welcome. Yes, the bed is a little hard but I have a recliner, desk, a dining table and wireless in my room all at a terrific economy rate. If you are looking for a huge cushy bed with eight pillows and cute little "designer" toiletries in the bathroom, then keep driving. If you are looking for a great value and friendly staff then pull on in.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I need to preface my review by ssaying that I've stayed at other Extended Stay Hotels before. This was one of the worst.

The hotel is right off the highway and I mean right off. Be sure you are ready to stop and pull in the parking lot.

The woman behind the counter at check in looked like she'd just finished a carton of cigarettes and sounded like it too. Clearly customer service isn't a top priority for Extended Stay, especially at this location.

I guess I would have to admit my room was clean, but clean by Extended Stay standards, so be sure to take it down a notch.

The entire time I was in the hotel, there was always a terrible odor in the hallways. I put towels on the door cracks to keep it out of my room. As usual, the bed was hard as a rock so don't expect a good nights sleep. Even though my room was near the back of the property I could hear the traffic at night.

I'd only recommend this hotel if you are incredibly broke or need an emergency place to stay. They say you get what you pay for and if you can only pay $30, then here's your place !

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank KKAustin
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I read prior reviews of the hotel and was skeptical. However, it appears management recently stepped up and renovated much of the hotel, including carpeting, fixtures, furniture and fresh paint. For the money, it's a very good value. Minutes from a couple of train stations (the Ramsey station is less than 5 minutes on Rt 17 N) that can get you into New York in less than an hour. Valuable for professionals spending considerable time in the city, but don't want to choke down $100 dumps or $200-300/night decent rooms. Bring your own snacks. There's a fridge, mic and stove top. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I can't decide what was worse....the dirty rooms, the noise, or the lack of service (took 20 min to get someone to show up to check out ---- apparently no one is onsite at 10:00 AM).

Hallways have a strong, musty smell, rooms are dirty and smell like smoke - I can't think of a single good thing to say about this place.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DonPS
Manager-PWY, Manager - USR at Extended Stay America - Ramsey - Upper Saddle River, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2009

"I would like to personally think you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Ramsey - Upper Saddle River. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Feel free to call us directly or book online at our website. And please remember that the same great stay you had with us can be had at any of the nearly 700 Extended Stay Hotels(sm) in the United States and Canada."

Reviewed April 19, 2007

Hello,
I stayed at this hotel last week for 6 nights.I would rate my stay as excellent.Considering that the hotel is a limited service hotel the staff reallyu showed good customer service skills.the room was very clean and the only problem we had was after 2 days one of the channels werent coming in but was fixed witin 24hours.i think you get what you pay.for a budgeted traveller like me a hotel like this is awesome.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank ZOMBIKA
Reviewed February 22, 2007

I have stayed in this hotel each February for the past three years and each year it is has been worse than the previous year. When I arrived this year, there was no parking spots because a construction company had taken over one-third or more of their parking area (which is small to begin with). When I asked if it is permissible for me to park in the adjacent restaurant parking lot, the hotel clerk suggested I go ask them! There was no luggage cart and the clerk suggested I look for it on each floor. I did and couldn't find one so she surmised that a guest had put it (only had one) in their room.

They gave me free internet service to make up for the hassles of checking in.

The next morning when I was ready to prepare breakfast, I found out that the dishes and cups had not been washed after the previous guest and there was still grease in the frying pan.

When I tried to wash some clothes in the laundry room, the soap dispenser did not work and the hotel clerk suggested I go to the grocery store for soap.

On a positive note, the hotel is adjacent to an Olive Garden and close to many franchised restaurants and independent diners.

Rt. 17 is very busy and noisy. The quieter rooms are in the rear.

Stayed: February 2007
7  Thank WVMaven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsey
Best Western The Inn At Ramsey
Best Western Regency House Hotel
Best Western Regency House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pompton Plains
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah

Been to Extended Stay America - Ramsey - Upper Saddle River? Share your experiences!