“Full Service Price for Zero Service !!!”

Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rahway
Portland, Maine
“Full Service Price for Zero Service !!!”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

This may sound trivial to some but when you pay full price for a room one does not
expect zero service. I called this Hotel and specifically asked if there was a hot tub on the premises and was told by the general manager "yes, we have a hot tub".
After arriving at Hotel we are told by the polite young lady behind the desk that there is not a hot tub on the premises but if we get a suite then there is a whirlpool bath in the room. Obviously the G.M. is not smart enough to know the difference between a Hot tub and a whirlpool. I it were not for the fact that people in our party had back issues, this would not been a big deal. After checking in to our so called suite, we realized that there was no bedding for our pull out
bed. Not only did we have to ask the front desk for bedding but we had to make our own bed! When I confronted the G.M. regarding this she just gave me an attitude and did not give a rats a##! Also to add to all this, toilet clearly had been used before our check in , there were "drippings" over toilet rim. This place charges full service prices {165.00 w/tax} they provide no service. Girl behind counter was polite but looked as though she was on something.(dazzed and confused) I do not suggest this hotel unless you are used to this type of treatment!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GlobeTreker63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Macon, GA
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Much better than a typical Best Western, with commanding views of the river and yacht club, and a short (<1 mile) walk to downtown Rahway. Right off busy (and noisy) US 1, it is an older yet pleasantly renovated 5-story hotel. The suites are nicer, but all bathrooms are extremely new. TV's are not HDTV but do have a decent selection of stations and at least 6 HBO channel.s

Perhaps the most noteworthy are the wonderful breakfast, and the superbly efficient General Manager (unfortunately not there on weekends). The breakfast is primarily cold, but does include warm waffles and egg filets (egg whites can be requested). The highlight is really the fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal selection, and excellent teas and baked goods.

You will NOT find any comparable breakfast in this price range within several miles of Staten Island/NYC.

Finally, there are ethernet cables in the rooms should you wish to avoid the security issues of free wifi.

I didn't have time to use the well-equipped gym and pool, but they appear well-maintained.

Room Tip: Construction of a large complex is ongoing (side away from US 1) so expect mild noise during the day...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank 704WorldTraveler704
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I stopped overnight on a long car drive, without a reservation. Although the night clerk was a little flaky (whatever, it was midnight), we had no complaints about the hotel and was worth the price (we paid $80 for the room). I was surprised at how large the room was, with a full sitting area. I recommend requesting a room on the back side of the hotel, away from traffic (the hotel is located on what has to be one of the longest strips in America), which enabled us to see the sun rise over the Rahway river. It wasn't the Grand Canyon, but was a pretty sight.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank skramynnoj
Toronto, ON
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel yesterday. From the moment I was checked in by Edida, I knew my stay would be great. She was concerned about every detail of my stay and showed me all the hotel facilities. Edida does everything with a smile and is so eager to please. I enjoyed my workout in the gym and my swim in the lovely pool. My room was spotless. It was spacious with a sitting area, sofa, coffee maker, 2 telephones and new television. The bed was very comfortable with an abundance of fluffy pillows.
Whenever I fly out of the Newark airport, I will spend the night here.

Thank you Edida for the wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: I just took a standard room and it was great.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Perpetusmile
NY
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Our hockey team stayed at this hotel twice. The first weekend we stayed was the weekend of the Nor'Easter. Check in was flawless and everything went off without a hitch. By the time we returned to the hotel on Saturday the storm had hit full force and there was no power. However, every thing was handled perfectly. Each room was provided with a flashlight and everything went off without a hitch. The team had a great night and it was handled with professionalism. In the morning breakfast was out in spite of the power outage. It was amazing that they had handled everything without power. I cannot say enough good things about the staff at the hotel and their ability to provide great service in spite of the power outage.
We returned two weeks ago for our last road trip down there this season. Eldida, the manager greeted us with open arms and was so welcoming. She had all the keys ready so the team could have a quick check in. Saturday night we had dinner delivered and the staff was so accommodating. They allowed us to use the breakfast room and could not do enough to help us.
In addition to their helpfulness the hotel is clean and well kept. Between the quality of the accommodations and the staff this hotel will stay on list of places to stay when we are on the road.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank saratoga35
New Jersey
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My stay here was very pleasant. We stayed for a total of 7 nights. We very much enjoyed the use of a refrigerator and microwave in the room at no additional charge. Also lots of space and the room did not feel cramped. The breakfast was very good for this type of hotel and the young lady that worked in this area was very friendly and obviously worked very hard. I would see her around the hotel and she was always hard at work.

While overall the stay was very good, there were just a couple of bumps. While out of the room one day, I called my room to speak to my travel mate and was surprised when a woman answered the phone. When I asked if I had the correct room, she answered in a testy voice that she was cleaning. I don't feel that the housekeeping staff should be answering the guest's phone. It was an uncomfortable feeling and also didn't allow me to leave a message on the phone. The other issue was that I had more than one reservation at the hotel for subsequent stays. I did arrange in advance to have the same room blocked for all 3 reservations so we would not have to move during our stay. I was disturbed on the first day of my second stay, despite the do not disturb sign, due to a lack of communication with staff that I was not checking out that day. More effort should be made to communicate with housekeeping staff when guests are not checking out when expected. Also, I arranged for late checkout on our final day. The front desk attendant assured me that she made a note that we would have 12:30 checkout. Yet again, we were disturbed by the front desk at 11:10 advising us that we had passed the checkout time. I advised them that we had already made arrangements for late checkout. Unfortunately that information did not get passed on.

In summary, it was a very pleasant stay even with a few minor glitches and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jamy208
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We came Friday night to Monday morning for a wedding. The good: location made it easy to get to NYC by train (30-40 min), continental breakfast was above average, nice indoor pool, spacious room.

The bad: Saturday afternoon the power and hot water went out, so we went without showers or lights. The TV went out even before that so we couldn't watch any college football. The manager said we might get some refund (though she did nothing to help us find another hotel, negotiate rates, etc). We still decided to stay there after getting in late Saturday night and not being able to find a good option in the area. This meant that we had to take showers before the wedding at another facility.
The manager acted as if nothing had happened, did not care about our inconvenience at all, and was upset we even asked about it. No refund, no replacement at another hotel for Saturday, no voucher.

Also, the room smelled like smoke (despite their policy against smoking).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BuckeyeBarrister
Edida C, General Manager at Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
I apologize for you less than excellent experience while at my hotel. Unfortunately, the entire Northeast experienced many lengthy power supply issues due to hurrican conditions. I can assure you that if we had any possible method of getting power or water to our guests we certainly would have done that. With the widespread natural storm impact, none of the area hotels had power or water. We had called every hotel in our geographic area to see if any could offer relief to our guests. Again I apologize for your experience and should your travel bring you to the Rahway area again, I hope that you would give us the opportunity to have the ability fo fully showcase all that our hotel has to offer.

Best Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rahway
Home2 Suites Rahway
Hotel Executive Suites
#2 of 2 in Carteret
Comfort Suites at Woodbridge
Super 8 Rahway/Newark

Been to Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!