“Good meal”

Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2017 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant based on the reviews and weren't disappointed. We ordered the paella, which was served in a large pan. I'm glad I shared the dish with my wife because it is too much for one person. The paella was very good. I would have rated it higher but we had to wait for service a couple of times.

Reviewed April 19, 2017

I've been taking the train from Rahway to NYC for 10 years and because of this, I rarely return to the town on the weekends. However, this past weekend, we met another couple at Cubanu, and it was absolutely terrific. The headline is that it's amazing food at very reasonable prices. The Churrasco El Gordo Victor (steak with Chimicurri sauce) was fantastic. I had Empanadas for an appetizer which were equally as tasty. Others had the shrimp ajillo that was great. We ordered Sangria with our meal and with all that it was under $100 per couple.

We need to and will definitely be coming back soon!

1  Thank Lawrence G
Reviewed March 31, 2017 via mobile

Went for a girls night out, I had paella and it was to die for. Drinks were good, too. Cant wait to go back ;-)

Reviewed March 14, 2017 via mobile

Met here on Saturday (3/11) with my husband, our 12-yr-old son, and one of my husband's friends who was in town from Switzerland to visit her family. Chose this place from other TripAdvisor reviews because I wanted something upscale and modern but yet comfortable. Fit the bill perfectly.

Place was pretty busy in the dining room with a diverse crowd. Hostess and our waitress appeared to be local of Latin descent, so I was confident that the food would be real Cuban. Again, right on target.

I had the Ropo Vieja, my favorite Cuban dish. Yes, I know it's not the most sophisticated choice, but it's what I like, and their version was pretty good.

If I could change anything about my plate, they relied a bit too heavily on onions and peppers in the meat rather than the tasty, seasoned shredded beef itself. Might give people the impression that they're charging for meat while filling in with less-expensive vegetables.

Would have also preferred that the meat be served on a bed of rice rather than beside a pile of rice. I like the way the seasoned juices flow down into the rice when it's on top. Just a personal preference.

Most of the dishes come with fried plantain slices. These are not the crispy chip-like fried plantains that you see in most places. Cubanu serves softer, round slices of plantain that are dipped in a batter and then fried. You may need to salt them, but it was a nice change of pace.

My husband's friend had a ginormous steak. She wasn't able to finish it due to the size, but she seemed to enjoy it, and took the leftovers home. It came with a side of white rice.

My husband had the paella, which is a go-to item for him. This dish is normally served in a baking dish, straight from the oven to table. Cubanu serves it more like seafood on a bed of yellow rice. It's still a generous portion, and he ate all but a few bites.

We didn't see a kids menu, but my son ordered the croquettas appetizer and a side of fries as his meal. I sampled them (as part of my service to you, the reader, of course), and they were quite tasty. Croquettes were traditional ham and cheese in a fried breading, and fries were flavorful, not just bland potato.

Catching up with an old friend, we went through quite a few drinks. I recommend The Havana, a punch-like cocktail served in a tall straight glass. It was listed on their online menu when I was researching places to go, but I didn't see it on the menus presented to us at dinner, so you may need to ask for it.

As the evening went on, the bar lounge area in the back picked up. Looked pretty lively back there when I went to the ladies room. Cute space. If I lived closer, I would definitely hang out there.

Reviewed January 11, 2017

Good food, great staff and excellent service. We only had a limited time for dinner before the show and they were very attentive and helpful.

Been to Cubanu? Share your experiences!